Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a jl audio sub in a box that came from the jl factory and my question is if I remove the carpet (lighter grey color doesnt match
) and upholster the box in black vinyl/leather/seude will that affect the sound of the box? Its a sealed box and I have an upholstery shop and am starting to go crazy with the interior of my tC and I really want it to match untill I can build a nicer enclosure. I have never upholstered a factory made box before or any box that wasnt wrapped in carpet.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thank you. I was yelled at by a family member who said the carpeting did something with the sound. I just like to be sure on everything I do to my baby.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is more of a common knowledge type situation. Obviousley if you put a very thick heavy faberic on compared to lets say silk; the thick faberic will would deaden the sound more. It is the differencs between yelling at someone through a wall or being in the same room with them. But what you are doing is reupholstering the box with a fabric that is comparatively the same that will have almost no noticable sound difference.

Please someone jump in if I am making a complete fool of myself and there really is a "magic" fabric.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was in Tweeter one time talking to someone about buying some subs and I asked a similar question. I asked if it would be easiest to just put black fabric over the grey fabric. He said it would, but it might come off, especially if you do it yourself. Of course, I don't know what their quality of work is, but I imagine stripping that fabric off to be a little difficult (if it's a quality box).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.