Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it make sense to get the TRD strut/shocks kit, if i don't get the lowering springs kit?

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
i don't have an answer for your question but i would like to point out that it is bad netiquette to post in all caps. it is considered "shouting" on the internet and can be seen as rude. hope somebody can answer your question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does not make much sense, imo. The cost of the springs is reasonable and they help a great deal to make the car feel "right". It is as much work and as much money to install(install only), with or w/o springs. Besides you would problably be kicking yourself if you had to re-install everything for the sake of springs only...

·
Registered
614 Posts
i wouldn't get the shocks without getting the springs. if you only want to replace shocks or springs, not both, do the springs. they are hundreds cheaper and everyone here seems to love them without the shocks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a question about the shocks. i don't know much about cars but i bought the trd springs and the rear sway bar and i was wondering how much of a difference would it make if i bought the shocks. would it be better for the car? or is it all about the feel? in other words if i'm not planning to race anyone or drive in a crazy manner do you think i would need the shocks? would any of you buy the shocks if you were me?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
your stock shocks will most likely have a shorter life when mated with the TRD springs. as will my stock shocks, since i didnt do the TRD shocks when i lowered my car. i just figured i would get some life out of the stock shocks since i paid for them. they do a perfectly good job with the task of keeping my a$$ on the road, and i drive hard. i will go to the TRD shocks next summer, unless i find something else i like more. damn, i bet that doesnt help at all. sometimes i just type like i talk, which is a lot, and quickly. just ask anyone here. sorry.

bottom line - necessary, no. they are designed to work together as a package; you will probably feel a difference between one car with the TRD shocks and one without. but it wont be a very big difference.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
the gear on the car is fantastic for most purposes. D does in fact drive hard. The stock shocks and struts don't seem to hold back any performance.

[.02]
wait until you need to get new shocks and struts. then go out and buy something else. TRD if it does ya.
[/.02]

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanx for replying so fast. sorry, i have a couple more questions. how long would my stock shocks last after i put the trd springs on? how long do the trd shocks last? cuz if i have to change the stock shocks in a year or so i think i would rather change them to the trd shocks now. what do u guys think?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I think that if you can get about the same kind of performance out of the stock shocks for any time at all, it wouldn't make any sense to replace them before they wear out.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Not on tC, but still a toyota - I know many people that have 50-60K miles on stock shocks and TRD springs, or even stock shocks and some no-name crappy springs that slam the car instead of just lowering it a bit. Stock shocks last a long long time, unless you try using an impact wrench and a nut to re-thread it - but that's a different story

1 - 10 of 10 Posts