Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to order my springs, but I'm not sure which bar to go with (if I don't do both). I don't want the ride to get too stiff, but I would also love to do all the installs at once.

So, what's the recommendation (especially from folks who've got these parts)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
614 Posts
if you only do one, i would say strut bar

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah wolo.. if you're looking to save money.. i agree get the strut bar first.. you already have a sway bar in the back.. i have a strut bar on mine and it does improve the steering feel..

if you have the $$$ to do it all.. i'd say do the springs and struts first, along with the strut bar.. then later the sway bars.. why later? because you get a feel for what the car is like stock.. then you can see if you like the improvements.. just my .02

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the way I'm leaning. Ideally, I'd like to do one at a time to feel the difference incrementally.

Springs first regardless.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ok i am going to have to be completly different on this. After always doing strut tower braces first on my other cars and never upgrading the sway bar, i always thought the strut bar should be first. Well after doing the sway bar first on my tC along with the springs, i say sway bar. This cars rear end has sooooo much body roll that it needs to be put in check first. I noticed a huge responce in stearing with it and almost no body roll any longer. Sway bar first.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I think i might do both, 'cuz since i'm ordering parts from McGeorge, the shipping might be less if I get both at the same time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll be putting on my swaybar Monday. I'll give a followup on difference. Anybody want pictures? I understand its a pretty simple install.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ciph3r, what setting did you put the sway bar in at, race or street.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by oldster@Aug 27 2004, 08:29 AM
I'll be putting on my swaybar Monday. I'll give a followup on difference. Anybody want pictures? I understand its a pretty simple install.
Yes.. please provide pics of the install... and a write up if you have time.
I would like to see how hard it is to install... cause if its not too bad... i'm gonna do mine too.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Forgive my bluntness, but I am mystified...Are you guys taking 45-degree turns at 90, or do you normally drive Ferraris, or what? I personally find the steering on this car to be quite responsive, tight, fun, etc. I will probably add the strut and sway bars at some point just to see the difference, but come on, saying that the car has "soooo much body roll," etc. -- I'm really not trying to take shots at any one, call anyone out, or make anyone mad, so please don't take it that way. I just don't understand how you all can think that it corners so poorly...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Handling is a very personal thing. One person may think a car needs improvement while another doesn't. I think the biggest factors are;
what kind of roads you drive and what cars you have owned previously. If you live in Kansas (few curves, few hills) you have little need for "good handling". I live in Missouri and its a blast driving through the curvey roads. If you owned a '70 Caddy previously, you will be impressed with the tC. I own a Supra TT and am selling my RSX-S. I prefer the softer ride of the tC, but there is more body roll in the back than I want...scared me the first time I took a corner hard. Remember that the biggest factor in handling is tires.

If you like the way it handles...don't let others change your mind. There are people who want to change everything on the car. They are not necessarily experts, they just like to change things...

·
Registered
116 Posts
That "70 Caddy" remark wasn't meant as any put down...just the idea that what you have driven before will flavor your opinion.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My last car was a '95 Camry - which was loaded with all types of extreme body roll. Sweeping left to right chicane style was harrowing in that car - you were throwing the car's weight all over the place. Comparitively my tC feels like an ///M3 GTR. As a daily driver, even on tricky roads, the tC is more than happy to do what you tell it to. For the more performance minded, it may be a little soft. The beauty of the tC is you can make it what you want it to be!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Originally posted by nrhanson@Aug 27 2004, 12:08 PM
Ciph3r, what setting did you put the sway bar in at, race or street.
currently i have it set on the street setting. I may change it to race and test it when i replace my sway bar linkage that i jacked up. but oh well. that posted in another thread. I still need one if anyone can get me a good deal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts