Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in my house when I heard an alarm going off. It was really loud so I decided to check it out. Turns out it was my tC. The thing that's so strange about this is that my tC doesn't have an alarm! I pressed the security button on my key and it went off. I'm not sure what could have caused an alarmless tC to go off like that. Any ideas?

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
What do you mean alarmless? There's a factory alarm in every tC. The optional alarm is just an upgrade. AFA going off, either someone accidentally pressed the panic button on the key itself (either key) or someone tried to break into your car.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the key was in another pair of pants, untouched, in my closet, and the car was securely alone in my garage. Soo I'm thinking that it may be a wiring issue (although I pray not.)

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Oh...So every tC actually comes with an alarm? How is the upgraded alarm different from the standard one?

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other key was unmolested in my wife's purse, in the kitchen. I'm beginning to think that you're right, Lance, that a key's panic button was pressed, but I just can't fathom how it happened.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
tC stock does NOT have an alarm. It has an immobilizer, but nothing that would cause it to make a noise on its own. The only way to make it scream is press a panic button.

Where was your second key? Someone messing with you maybe?

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She was with me.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
And while you were checking what was going on she put her key back in the purse...

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@May 8 2005, 01:25 PM
tC stock does NOT have an alarm. It has an immobilizer, but nothing that would cause it to make a noise on its own. The only way to make it scream is press a panic button.
True dat. I just checked it to be sure. All the connections are there, just no hardware. My bad for assuming it was like the Supra (which does have a factory alarm and a keyless entry with glass breakage upgrade for about the same money as the Scion system). It's equally low featured, but does a good job of scaring you if someone holds the panic button.

Sounds like either the wife was having a good laugh on you or she accidentally hit the button with something in her purse.

· Registered
221 Posts
kinda off topic, but in my experience, the immobilizer doesn't exactly work. i was painting one of my keys to match the color of the car (because i had nothing better to do), and when the paint dried i tried starting the car with an empty shell of a key. guess what, i was able to start the car. now i don't know if the immobilizer is supposed to cut off the fuel pump and what i was experiencing was the engine sucking what was left of the gas in the line or what, but you can definitely start the car without the little chip thingy in your key.

off-topic i know, but still a useful bit of knowledge

· Registered
4,643 Posts
empty shell of a key includes the RFID chip. (little black thing embedded in the half that is actually attached to the key).

the part that you can take out is a keyless entry transmitter.

· Registered
5 Posts
If i did not order the scion security system does it still come with something that unlocks the doors? and does it have a crappy alarm or no alarm at all?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.