Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well ive been thinking and realized that since I have a Short Ram Intake (pic 1) then it is lacking air, so if I cut a hole in the bumper where that black piece is in the bottom right of the bumper and just replace it with mesh like my grille(pic 2) and run a little bit bigger pipe it will increase the flow... would that work, or am I just dreaming because that would increase the air flow atleast I would believe because it is a direct flow up to the engine bay, thats if you dont go through any big puddles or anything like that.....

Pic 1

Pic 2

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
You only need to unbutton the fender liner and remove the lower splashguards to get to what you need to do. The false grille just pops out from behind. For piping, I used basic HVAC hose for RVs, about 15 bucks for a 10 foot section. Add a silicone coupler to stick through the bumper as a "mouth", and you've pretty much got it.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Feb 3 2006, 11:17 PM
You only need to unbutton the fender liner and remove the lower splashguards to get to what you need to do. The false grille just pops out from behind. For piping, I used basic HVAC hose for RVs, about 15 bucks for a 10 foot section. Add a silicone coupler to stick through the bumper as a "mouth", and you've pretty much got it.
You're aware that without some kind of bell shape on the mouth of that tube, you only get 2/3 the flow the diameter would normally supply, right?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well there really wouldnt really be a problem with that unless you connect it directly to the intake.... I am just putting the pipe up to the intake so you can get more air flow up there cuz with a short ram intake it decreases the air flow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would think that attaching it to your intake and running the hose but not sealing it to the opening would still do a good job. Then take the cover off the front so air is pushing in when at speed. The airspace between the end of the dryer hose and the opening would be enough to let water drip around the edge and fall down to the under cover for draining. At anything over 30mph I would think the air would be pretty well forced into the fender area and if your hose is at the right angle it would still get the "force-fed" cool air directly.

At least that is my "theory"

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Feb 4 2006, 11:25 AM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Feb 4 2006, 11:25 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Dr. Isotope
@Feb 3 2006, 11:17 PM
You only need to unbutton the fender liner and remove the lower splashguards to get to what you need to do.  The false grille just pops out from behind.  For piping, I used basic HVAC hose for RVs, about 15 bucks for a 10 foot section.  Add a silicone coupler to stick through the bumper as a "mouth", and you've pretty much got it.
You're aware that without some kind of bell shape on the mouth of that tube, you only get 2/3 the flow the diameter would normally supply, right? [/b]
Seeing as the OEM pipe connected to the airbox has a rectangular opening about 1.5" x 2.0", I'm not too concerned about it, as the opening at the end of my pipe is considerably bigger (7.1 sq/in compared to 3.0 sq/in).

Though if you can figure out how to wedge a cone/bell into the false grille area, I'd gladly put it on there. I have a few different sized cones... but nothing that will remotely fit.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Do you think you could just cut any kind of funnel at a point that the diameter would approximately be the diameter of your piping and couple that? Or you could cut it and cut little "leaves" so it'll form a clamping surface kind of like if you wanted a cone to sit flat, narrow side down.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
this may sound stupid but, what about running sum tubing from that side slot in the lower grill up to where the airbox area is but not even really directly connecting it to the airbox or short ram system. wouldnt the whole engine bay be cooled by that? and the closest most direct air would be sucked up by the short ram. cols air would flow naturally up the piping instead of being sucked but it would still get in there. and water wouldnt get into ur system even tho mist or spray may ride the tubing into the engine bay but it wouldnt get into the breathing system being that the tube isnt connected to anything. or is that just dumb? seems good in theory. and no cutting necessary to get cooler air throught the entire engine bay reducing engine temps in the process. maybe? am i completely dumb for this idea?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No actually your completely right because what that tubing is doing is allowing cool air to enter your engine bay, the intake would not be doing any sucking from the outside unless you put it out there.... the pipe would allow A LOT more air to flow to the intake though and through the engine bay cooling down the engine and getting more air to the intake.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
YES!!! Im the MAN!!!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by AcrimoniousBear@Feb 7 2006, 06:48 AM
this may sound stupid but, what about running sum tubing from that side slot in the lower grill up to where the airbox area is but not even really directly connecting it to the airbox or short ram system. wouldnt the whole engine bay be cooled by that? and the closest most direct air would be sucked up by the short ram. cols air would flow naturally up the piping instead of being sucked but it would still get in there. and water wouldnt get into ur system even tho mist or spray may ride the tubing into the engine bay but it wouldnt get into the breathing system being that the tube isnt connected to anything. or is that just dumb? seems good in theory. and no cutting necessary to get cooler air throught the entire engine bay reducing engine temps in the process. maybe? am i completely dumb for this idea?
It's a nice thought, but unfortunately air doesn't work quite the way you think. Air will not go down a hole if there isn't a pressure differential between the ends of the tube. Period. Air has this fundamental property of going from high pressure to low pressure, so putting the tube in there guarantees nothing if you are not also creating a low pressure region in the engine bay.

There was a stunning example of this some years back in a Supra video. The car was launching at the drag strip, and the camera work was good enough that you could see the hood flexing a full inch above the fender because the air pressure inside the engine bay was so great, the hood was flexing to let it out.

I'm not saying the tC is a Supra, but I am saying without knowing what the underhood environment is, you could be doing as much harm as good. There's a lot more to getting air into the engine than routing some piping and hoping for the best.

All this stuff takes a lot of painstaking work to ensure your mods are truly gains. Many times the right path is completely counter-intuitive.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lance you are making feel like going to a book store so I can learn more about cars. hah

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You don't need to read the books, but it can help. I worked on high vacuum systems during part of my AF career. I learned to think like an air molecule, and it helped a lot with cylinder head porting. But a lot of it is really counter-intuitive. Air does just exactly the opposite of what you'd think.

I'm sure EddieMoney can talk about that for hours...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.