Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MOD plz Sticky this...

Hi all, with the Tc being such a NICE
new car, and seeing all of the security questions being posted on this new site I though that this would help.

I got this from the Newtiburon.com site, in there Audio & Securety section


here it is..




As some of you know I work in the largest walled prison in the world and I come across alot of different people. Some of them are car thieves who I have gotten to know. I asked a few ( 2 of them) if they could give me a list of things they look for and do before getting OUR ride...here are some things they look for......
1- Try not to park in a spot that is hard to see your car or for other people to see.
2- Tinted windows usually means there is something to hide. (not counting on the rear windows--talking about the doors).
3- A tinted window is really bad--They can break the window and it will stay in one piece...it makes it easier to pull out the window with less noise. And also breakes quiately.
4- DO NOT have stickers showing what brand or products you have. This is a real eye catcher.
5- Cars in carports are tooo easy to get at.
6- Dont keep the same routine if you live in an appartment complex or busy parking area. Park in different places to throw thieves off.
7- Dont leave wallets, credit cards, cd or anything that might be worth $100.00 or so in the open. One inmate told me he broke into a car cause he seen a bounch of change. He got $5.00
8- If your deck has a detachable face--take it off. Put it somewhere out of sight. Now how many of us do that I know I never take it out. But at least hide it.
9- If you have an alarm use more than just shock sensors for activation. Motion sensors work great. Mercury switches also work good.
10- If you have a 2nd battery for your system, use it to power the alarm. If your front battery has the power cut your alarm will still work off the 2nd battery.
11- Dont install the siren close to the bottom front. Put it high on the firewall. The siren should be heat resistant so the engine should not harm it.
12- Put your led light high on the dash board so it can be easily seen. One inmate said " If I get out and walk up to the car and I dont see the led light till I get up on the car, hell Im already here so I will see whats in it".
13- An alarm with a pager system is good but the ones with a gps system are the best.
14- If your alarm keeps going off at night its usually because someone is trying to get you to lower the sensitivity so he can break into it easier. " This method always works, people get soo pissed off they sometimes turn off the alarm" one inmate said.
15- If you have a system, mount the box to the car. DO NOT mount your amps to the box.
16- Do not keep your locks to your wheels where they can be easily found. Most of the time if you hide the locks thieves will find it. Also--Use two different set of locks on each rim.
17- Park your car where it is most light. If you have a garage---use it.
18- If you have to leave your car in a parking lot, park it out in the open in a lighted area. The more cars around the easier to get at.
19- Have a dummy valet switch where it is easily found ( under the dash is where most people have them) and hook it up to your alarm so when the thief tries to engage it, it will trigger the alarm instead of shuting it off.
20- A thief will case the car for several weeks or months to see your routine. This gives him an idea what you do and when.

One thing I have learned is if someone wants your car bad enough they will get it. The things I have listed may not stop everyone, but why not do all we can to prevent someone from taking OUR stuff. I would like to take this time and thank the two prisoners who made this list possible----prisoner D********* #****** (I call him by his first name--Clem) and prisoner D*** #******.
If I get more info I will post it here and please feel free to post any other methods of keeping people away from our cars.


hope this helps..

mandrek Out

EDITED: I removed those names and prison id's. felt it inappropriate for those to be posted.
C!ph3r
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Well, I just had my winter car broken into recently. That's the whole reason I got it, I have a show truck that I have (and will be picked up from a sale by the end of the week) and I wanted to have the extra car. My winter car had the head unit and center console stolen, and my ash tray with like $2.00 in it stolen, also a video game was stolen. Luckily the car is so old that you can't get into the trunk from the inside, you need the key and have to open it from the outside, lucky because I had a box with two subs and an amp in there. I know when I get the tC in a few days that I'm going to get a good alarm and put one of those cool led lights that let you know its armed, like a knight rider kinda thing. Now I'm that much wiser now that this has happened. This happened at work, and I have a routine when I come in.......bad thing to do. Like Mandrek stated "6- Dont keep the same routine if you live in an appartment complex or busy parking area. Park in different places to throw thieves off." only thing is.....my car was broken into during the middle of broad daylight and I park where everyone can see my car. Oh well, nothing I can do now, none of my stuff was recovered even though they caught the guy.....50 year old Puerto Rican guy.

Just be careful guys and gals!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I'm definitely concerned about what kind of security I should get--I never had any kind on my old beater car, but this is the first new car I've ever had. I suspect my dealer is going to try and sell me something with a tracking system, but the thing is, I live in the city and park on the street--often wherever I can find a space. I don't commute, so it's possible that I might not actually see the car every day to realize it was even gone in order to know to have it tracked. I guess, though, with the engine immobilizer, I'm more concerned with the break-in possibility. Can someone suggest a good system for a street parking city dweller? Other than moving to the suburbs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
i have a viper system shock motion glass. not that i have anything in it lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
If you think for a minute that i am not going to havemy windows tinted dark as #### u r crazy. Best security is Ruger 40 Caliberand CCW permit.
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,466 Posts
Ah yes, life would be so simple if we could just plant a slug in everyone who we deem a threat. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a CCW, but to think of a firearm as your car's security system is a little naive. Especially if the criminal is waiting for you with a gun pointed at you as soon as you open the door. Good luck winning that shoot out.

Tinted windows are over-rated most of the time (but I can understand wanting them in South Florida!). I have limo tint on the rear window in my Supra, and I can't see a damn thing out the back at night. I never need to flip the mirror though. And NO I didn't put it on there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by mikebb@Jan 31 2005, 01:27 AM
If you think for a minute that i am not going to havemy windows tinted dark as #### u r crazy. Best security is Ruger 40 Caliberand CCW permit.
See you in court.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Originally posted by Mandrek@Jul 13 2004, 08:42 AM
MOD plz Sticky this...

Hi all, with the Tc being such a NICE
new car, and seeing all of the security questions being posted on this new site I though that this would help.

I got this from the Newtiburon.com site, in there Audio & Securety section


here it is..




As some of you know I work in the largest walled prison in the world and I come across alot of different people. Some of them are car thieves who I have gotten to know. I asked a few ( 2 of them) if they could give me a list of things they look for and do before getting OUR ride...here are some things they look for......
1- Try not to park in a spot that is hard to see your car or for other people to see.
2- Tinted windows usually means there is something to hide. (not counting on the rear windows--talking about the doors).
3- A tinted window is really bad--They can break the window and it will stay in one piece...it makes it easier to pull out the window with less noise. And also breakes quiately.
4- DO NOT have stickers showing what brand or products you have. This is a real eye catcher.
5- Cars in carports are tooo easy to get at.
6- Dont keep the same routine if you live in an appartment complex or busy parking area. Park in different places to throw thieves off.
7- Dont leave wallets, credit cards, cd or anything that might be worth $100.00 or so in the open. One inmate told me he broke into a car cause he seen a bounch of change. He got $5.00
8- If your deck has a detachable face--take it off. Put it somewhere out of sight. Now how many of us do that I know I never take it out. But at least hide it.
9- If you have an alarm use more than just shock sensors for activation. Motion sensors work great. Mercury switches also work good.
10- If you have a 2nd battery for your system, use it to power the alarm. If your front battery has the power cut your alarm will still work off the 2nd battery.
11- Dont install the siren close to the bottom front. Put it high on the firewall. The siren should be heat resistant so the engine should not harm it.
12- Put your led light high on the dash board so it can be easily seen. One inmate said " If I get out and walk up to the car and I dont see the led light till I get up on the car, hell Im already here so I will see whats in it".
13- An alarm with a pager system is good but the ones with a gps system are the best.
14- If your alarm keeps going off at night its usually because someone is trying to get you to lower the sensitivity so he can break into it easier. " This method always works, people get soo pissed off they sometimes turn off the alarm" one inmate said.
15- If you have a system, mount the box to the car. DO NOT mount your amps to the box.
16- Do not keep your locks to your wheels where they can be easily found. Most of the time if you hide the locks thieves will find it. Also--Use two different set of locks on each rim.
17- Park your car where it is most light. If you have a garage---use it.
18- If you have to leave your car in a parking lot, park it out in the open in a lighted area. The more cars around the easier to get at.
19- Have a dummy valet switch where it is easily found ( under the dash is where most people have them) and hook it up to your alarm so when the thief tries to engage it, it will trigger the alarm instead of shuting it off.
20- A thief will case the car for several weeks or months to see your routine. This gives him an idea what you do and when.

One thing I have learned is if someone wants your car bad enough they will get it. The things I have listed may not stop everyone, but why not do all we can to prevent someone from taking OUR stuff. I would like to take this time and thank the two prisoners who made this list possible----prisoner D********* #****** (I call him by his first name--Clem) and prisoner D*** #******.
If I get more info I will post it here and please feel free to post any other methods of keeping people away from our cars.


hope this helps..

mandrek Out

EDITED: I removed those names and prison id's. felt it inappropriate for those to be posted.
C!ph3r
oooooooook
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,466 Posts
Interesting insight. oooooook? Did you need to quote that whole thing for the comment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
OMG...
ill never leave my change box thingy open again!
and ill put all my burned CD's away...
other than that
i have a book of wisdom and a few electrical clamps/crimpers...

i hate having anew car and loving it at the same time

too much to worry about!!!!

thx for the info though... il keep it in mind
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
I do not thick a .40 is enough deterrent so I have a Glock29 10mm:)

Not kidding but it is not to protect the car, I have insurance for that and a damm good alarm and you cannot really tell what I put into my cars.

Very good advice, I practice almost all of it, one more thing to do is:

DO NOT BUMP WHERE YOU LIVE OR WHEN ABOUT TO PARK AND LEAVE YOUR CAR!!!!!

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by raamaudio@Mar 24 2005, 12:58 AM
I do not thick a .40 is enough deterrent so I have a Glock29 10mm:)
Rick, 10mm is actually smaller than .40 cal. Not by much, but still
 

·
Former '05er
Joined
·
12,466 Posts
Smaller diameter but different cartridge. The 10mm is more powerful. I'd take the 10 for stopping power over the .40 any day.

Did I ever mention I am fascinated with engines of all kinds, including single cycle engines that eject the piston from the end of the bore with formidable speed and power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
Two things to add:

On-topic: Do NOT put things in your trunk after you park and right before leaving your car. If possible, put anything in your trunk before you leave for your final destination of any particular trip.

Off-topic: Size != power, when it comes to handguns. If that were the case, then a .380 auto and a .38 special would produce equal force, and they do not. For that matter, both of those are nearly the same size ammo as a 9 MM, and the 9 MM is significantly more powerful than a .380 auto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
That FlameThrower they have on cars iN SOuth Africa would be excellent
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
WOW! The only one that caught me by suprise is the tinted windows one. I thought it would have the opposite effect, why would they bother with a car if they cant quickly see whats in it. Also, since the glass doesnt shatter wouldnt it take them longer to get into the car.

Makes me wonder if I should tint my windows or not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
They assume that if there are tinted windows, you are trying to hide something. This is the same reason that cops are suspicious of cars with tinted windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Apr 6 2005, 06:00 AM
They assume that if there are tinted windows, you are trying to hide something.  This is the same reason that cops are suspicious of cars with tinted windows.
Well, cops arent dependent on the time it takes to look into a car with tinted windows. Thieves on the other hand are trying to get in and out as fast as possible, so why would they waste time on a car with tinted windows if they cant really see whats in it that they could take. Its a waste of time if they come out empty handed. At least that is what I think, but I'm not into the business of breaking into cars so I'm not an expert on the topic.

This kinda looks like Sinitra singing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
this is some pretty good information...but I just recently tinted my car...its not illegal tint so im hoping it doesnt trigger anyone. because id b piss if someone broke into my car cuz there is nothing to steal lol
 
1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Top