Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
6,498 Posts
Ok, well, next time a car dealer is offering to give me whatever tires I want, I'll take those Pirellis over the Potenzas.

· Registered
126 Posts
Then consider that the Pirellis' are 50 bucks less per tire which translates to 200 less a set for much better tires. I personally went with the Avons for under 100 a tire w/a 360 treadwear but you can't go wrong with the P-Zero Neros. It's too bad that Scion decided to go with the RE-92's for 17 but to got with the P-Zero Neros for the 18 inch wheel & tire package. Weak

· Registered
664 Posts
yeah i can tell you the tirerack's reviews are truthful.. I had the re92's and switched to the pzero nero m&S.. HUGE difference, the car actually is more sporty, quieter, brakes better, great tire.. yeah if anyone is thinking of tires, go with the pirellis.. i've just had to rotate them every 2000-3000 miles, they wear differently than the re92's.. so you can't go 5000.. yea i've had the alignment checked, it's the tires.. gotta rotate them more often..

if that's the biggest problem with these tires? i'll take it..

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jul 22 2005, 11:40 AM
400 tread life is better than 160.....by a lot because the scale is 100-500
It's entirely meaningless because there is no standard tire for the industry. Bridgestone's 160 might be Pirelli's 300. There is no uniform standard for wear rating across manufacturers. The wear rating is only relative to the same manufacturer's tires.

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by f1jay@Jul 24 2005, 06:05 PM
Then consider that the Pirellis' are 50 bucks less per tire which translates to 200 less a set for much better tires. I personally went with the Avons for under 100 a tire w/a 360 treadwear but you can't go wrong with the P-Zero Neros. It's too bad that Scion decided to go with the RE-92's for 17 but to got with the P-Zero Neros for the 18 inch wheel & tire package. Weak
How do you find those Avon Tech M550s? I'm getting a set put on my car later today. My car came with the Yokohamas though...

-Ed

· Registered
6,498 Posts
I'm amazed that no one else has pointed this out, but the price comparison is ridiculous, since the Potenzas come on the car and the Pirellis cost extra...it's not as if the dealer is going to let you pick between the two when you buy your tC.

· Registered
242 Posts
i asked to get pirellis and my dealer let me exchange, he actually gave me money back.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
NIIIICCEE! Smokin' deal!

· Registered
664 Posts
i have had the pirelli pzero nero m&s since last summer '04.. so about a year.. i've put 16,500 miles on the tires and i have to tell ya.. they probably won't last to 20,000.. i know they're performance tires and everything but that was a shock to me, i haven't been hard on the tires, trying to make them last.. but doesn't look like it's working.

I've wondered about the Avon tires mentioned.. not to jack the thread, but anyone have any comments about the Yokohama H4S tire? it comes in the stock 215/45-17 size plus it's not that expensive and the reviews look similar..

i don't think i'll go with the pzero's again, they needed balancing every 2k-3k miles plus rotating at that mileage.. that wasn't a big deal, the thing that is stopping me from getting them is i can't keep replacing tires nearly every year.. i'm not that rich.. lol

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Performance tires typically don't last much more than 20k miles. I've never had rear tires on my Supra for more than 24k miles and that was driving very conservatively. You haven't met tire pain until you find your tires cost $1200 a set, and there are no alternatives. That's how it was in '94 when the Supra hit the market. Viper drivers were even worse off. $2200 for rubber. One choice: Michelin. Maximum life expectancy? 20k miles.

tC tires are <$500 including mount and balance. If that's over your budget, you should look for some 16" rims. There are a lot more options at lower prices in 16" diameter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.