Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im new here at ystc. Im going to be purchasing a scion soon and i was wondering how does the stock sound system compare with many aftermarket systems availible? A lot of people seem to be replacing the stock HU. Is it really that bad? i heard you cant use the steering wheel controls when you do so. Please give me more information on this to help me decide whether or not i should plan to upgrade the stock sound system.

· Registered
136 Posts
Stock is decently nice for stock......Won't know the difference relaly untill you upgrade your speakers, then you'll hear how bad the stock HU really is, when you cannot get around the prebuilt EQ curves.....

I'm loving my 8053, and my car sounds really nice. Not as a bass head standpoint, but as far as SQ and imaging go. I'm about to go on a limb and buy another amp for a 3way setup up front, sub in the rear......

I advise if you like any high volumes, or any sound above regular listening (if your an audiophile) then your not going to be happy for long......I started upgradeing my audio in the car really after it only set it the driverway for less than a week.

Gotta figure out which set of dedicated midranges i will be putting in the kicks, and dedicated midbasses i want to run now.....choices choices choices.....
I may jsut not decide to do it quite yet and still get the amp. who knows...

I advise getting a aftermarket HU first off, and get some nice speakers and you should be ahppy for a little while i'd think....unless your strickly into audio.

· Registered
4,234 Posts
I would classify the stock setup as "respectable". Not bad at all for OEM equipment, particularly in our economy-car bracket.

But if you're coming from a car with an aftermarket system, be prepared to start changing things. Nothing of the OEM system remains in my car.

· Registered
136 Posts
Or if your like me, In my explorer before i bought my tC, i only had a set of 12's. Went crazy with my tC, and have built everything from the floor up.

Pair of LPG 26 tweets (8ohms), Pair of Seas CA18 6.5"'s (8ohms), Eclipse 8053 deck, Adire Tempest 15" Sub, NEXT VRz 2.400 and 4.400, just @ 850rms total @ 4ohms. And about to get another 2.400 mabey, bumping up to around 1.1k rms Total @ 4ohms. This is a strickly SQ setup and it is totally unbeleiveable. I've never heard a car sound as good.....Granted i havn't had the oportunity to listen to any competition SQ grade cars yet. But i'm very happy. Extreemly Happy.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im only 17. this would be my first car. im just using my parent's camry at the time and since its not my car, i dont have permission nor do i want to do anything to it. I usually just listen to music on my computer, but im not that kind of guy that likes to turn on the bass. Frankly, having full bass gives me a headache. My uncle used to be the kind of guy that went all out on aftermarket systems until he totalled his car and lost almost everything. But yea those subs in his car would annoy the heck out of me. I dont even know if ill have any money left to spare since ill be paying for 80% of the costs of car, insurance and gas myself.

· Registered
136 Posts
In that case the stock Setup should be perfectly fine for your uses. The factory midbasses do quite nicely, they go fairly low. I never could stand the Feel settings though, as it was just a huge bump in the lower midbass section 50-60hz if not higher, always used the Hear xB settings. But those are the times of past.

If you ever do decide on hooking the radio up though, i'd really advise you to visit, www.diymobileaudio.com, www.carstereos.org, or www.elitecaraudio.com, do it right the first time and be done. Research and become knowledgeable about what you want, what your looking for, and you ask around to knowledgable people and you will save money in the end, and really have a nice setup. Even without subs....which isint even needed really in my car, except for the lowest of octaves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.