Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my tC about a week ago. It came with Sirius as a promotional offer. I already had an account with Sirius on a portable unit. I added my tC to my Sirius account and put my portable unit in my Matrix.

Here are my questions.

Functionality - The stereo manual mentions nothing of Sirius, only XM. I am assuming that is because it is a fairly new feature. When viewing artists names on the screen, only only shows about 12 characters, if the name is longer, its cut off and does not scroll. Is there a way to make it scroll? Also, the portable units offer many more features, such as song memory to alert you when one of your favorite songs is on and the ability to see what is on the other stations without changing to that station. I know these features are a lot to throw into a one line screen, but I am curious if maybe these features actually do exist and I can't figure them out.

Signal Issue - With my other unit, I rarely had any issues with "NO SIGNAL" and my antenna was mounted inside my car on the dash. This stock unit has a pretty large antenna mounted to the right of the rear view mirror on the windshield. When I first start my car, I get a signal for the first 2 or 3 minutes, then I lose it for another 2 or 3 minutes before it comes back. I initially thought it was where I was located since it was happening every time I left my house. BUT, I recently left a different location where it worked fine on the way in, but when I left, it did the same thing. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue or if there may be something wrong with my unit.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Is anyone using the HU for Sirius?

· Registered
117 Posts
You have to remember with Sirius there are 3 Satellites rotating in a figure 8 above the earth giving us our signal. at any particular time they could be somewhere else, hence the intermentent issues. You're home location could just be antenna position, but the other items are probably the fact that the Satellites move, when I to work I pass under the same bridges, sometimes I have issues other times I don just depends, and if I have one issue one place I'm gonna have one at another specific spot. I am a huge Sirius fan, but am very disappointed in the antenna design, I use a small chip on the rear right quarter, just like the factory XM and have very minimal issues, just the usual large objects, (buildings trees bridges).

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear you and agree, but my issue is quite consistant and I do not have the issue with the receiver I have in my Matrix. So I know it can't be a satellite location error. Plus, it happens in the morning when I leave my home and in the afternoon when I leave work. It doesn't matter where I am located, when I first start my car, I get a signal for 1-2 minutes, then it goes away for another 1 -2 minutes before it returns.

I may have to replace it with a different HU or just get an add-on via the AUX.

· Registered
117 Posts
Yeah again like I said not real happy with the xA & tC antenna I would say possible defect, I was having a similar problem with a demo I had during the summer, I figured it might be heat related but now I think about it, the problem seems to be consitent with whats happening with yours, so maybe its a heat and cold issue, but likely defective, antennas I would just have them replace the antenna under warranty and see if that fix's the problem, if not that then the HU, and if not that its just and electrical gremlin which probably won't be found. Good luck

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I may just do that. I thought about just moving it over since it seems to be placed "on" the screen behind the rearview mirror. Maybe that's the cause?

I miss my other unit, but don't miss the gigantic suction cup! I was excited to have this. I may just need to get a good unti and have it custom mounted somewhere.

· Registered
117 Posts
The black screen won't cause any signal issues, I think it really comes down to defective product. Just take it into the service department and complain, see what they can do from there, not a lot of ways to test it, best thing for them to do is replace it and see if that works.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, I'll have to do that. Thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.