Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the deal, I dont want to loose the streering wheel contols and I have dont some searches on it and there are some options but i think is the best is to keep the Stock HU and Replace the Speakers I was wondering if anyone has done this and how do they like it also I was looking to add 1 12inch Sub... I have the subs and amp from my old car so here was the plan I was going to get an Line out for my amp off the rear speakers and hook up my four channel amp 2 channels well I will bridge it to one channel for my sub and the other 2 channel I was looking for adding them to components to the front????

any thoughts

I am looking to get the 6.5 alpine type r componets and 6.5 alpine type r in the back
I have a rockford 1200 watt amp and 2 HE2 subs but only going to drop one in

Now or should I just say f*ck it and get a new head unit?

I have been into audio for a while I love to feel the bass but I am more of a quality of the sound in the inside of the car rather then outside the car I can care less what other people here, I have an 1 and half drive to work so music is what gets me there so what is your guys thoughs?

Issom

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I would say just get a head unit, your SQ will be vastly improved because of your signal clarity. Also there are some headunits on the market, Alpine for one, that can utilize the stock steering controls.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The biggest problem is Digital Signal Processing. There's a lot of it in the Scion (3 car types three choices), the "hear" "feel" "neutral" are examples of the DSP. The Scion has nine choices of ass, unfortunately, not one is "off". The DSP is there on many cars now because DSP is cheaper than speakers. OEM's can build EQ curves to make the $1 speakers sound decent.
If you were to replace the speakers, you're still listening to them through the $1 speaker filter. Whatever aftermarket speaker you select probably will not have the same limitations of the originals.
If you were to replace the deck, the DSP will be gone. Now you can hear what the $1 speakers really sound like (It wont be good). It's pretty easy to swap out the deck in the Scion so the radio replacement option is there. It's not there in all in many vehicles.
I compleetely understand the want to retain the OEM funtionality as well as improve sound. Out of the two choices you have, the lesser of two evils is replacing the speakers.
Personally, I chose to keep the deck add CleanSweep to take car of the DSP. The rest of the system has upgraded speakers and amps as well as Sirius and iPod. Performance-wise aftermarket decks are a lateral move at best but cosmetically and functionally are not up to par in my opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting........... I was wondering how hard was it to install and how much did it impove the sound and If i add an amp can I add a four channel amp?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.