Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know if the stock header heat shield does anything but protect ur hands from getting cooked after driving? I was thinking of taking it off and just adding the thermal heat wrap around..figured id drop a lil bit of weight, and keeping the heat inside the headers rather then dissipating into the engine bay..does anybody figure this economical? I figured itd be arite to do, plus the heat shield looks tacky in ways more then one...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You'd be way ahead to get it ceramic coated. It's lighter and it looks better that wrap. It will never get water soaked and corrode the pipe away either.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Heat shield is 2-ply aluminum with probably some heat resistant stuff inside. It will be lighter than whatever heat wrapping you would use. I got bored one day and polished it. Looked shiny for a while - still looks pretty cool

·
Registered
56 Posts
this is pretty stupid but do you guys remember the story about the old lady that sued mcdonalds for her coffee being hot? well i thought of taking the heat shield off too but theres that little warning sign on it that says hot. i figured if i took my car in for an oil change or something and someone burns themselves on the header i can get sued.... lol... i dunno...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Sure, and if you just coat it with a ceramic coating it won't be an issue.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by satthu555@Mar 1 2005, 11:24 PM
this is pretty stupid but do you guys remember the story about the old lady that sued mcdonalds for her coffee being hot? well i thought of taking the heat shield off too but theres that little warning sign on it that says hot. i figured if i took my car in for an oil change or something and someone burns themselves on the header i can get sued.... lol... i dunno...
doesnt matter if its there or not..the headers are still gonna transfer heat in the engine bay and they are STILL gonna be hot as hell smart guy..notice how the warning is on the heat shield too? Yah exactly..its still hot genius..and by the way..if any service mechanic isnt smart enough to know that headers are hot, they shouldnt be working there now should they? and like Labfish said, its professional competence smart ass..

So how much is ceramic coating usually run Lo Bux?

·
Registered
56 Posts
uummm... you need to chill dude. i didnt even say anything directed towards you or anybody. was just telling a story about how me and my cousin were joking around while looking under the hood... whats ur problem?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by dwnrytepnoi@Mar 3 2005, 03:46 AM
if any service mechanic isnt smart enough to know that headers are hot, they shouldnt be working there now should they? and like Labfish said, its professional competence smart ass..
If you're gonna personally attack someone, you should at least be sure that what you're saying is right...which it isn't.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
No matter what - personal attacks are not welcome. Please keep it civil.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my fault everybody..guess i took things kinda far..i ASSUMED it was a personal attack..ASSumed wrong..my fault though real talk..

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by dwnrytepnoi@Mar 2 2005, 11:46 PM
So how much is ceramic coating usually run Lo Bux?
Coatings vary a lot in price. I would have to show them the piece before I could even guess what it will cost. It is also possible to do this yourself, but your significant other might not like you using the oven to bake the coating on. In reality, it should not cost more than $150, maybe a lot less.

There is a place in Sactown that does stripping and coating, they started with powder coat but have expanded to ceramic coatings. In fact, there are a couple of reputable shops here. Of course it isn't fair to say this is common, Sacramento has a huge performance industry for everything from domestics to imports. The place I know for sure is Perfect-It. They're on Sunrise near the wrecking yards. If you know where the yards are, they are at the last turn off for the "recyclers" area, and you can see them from Sunrise. I've had them do powder coating on various things and I know they do that well.

I hadn't really considered ceramic coating the exhaust, but it could provide some small performance gains, and would definitely light up the cat faster. It might also very slightly improve fuel economy (definite bonus!).

I'm not going to touch anything until after I run my baseline dyno, I'd like to measure the improvements and validate (or not validate) the cost effectiveness of the mod.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I removed my heat shield and I was just wondering if there is any need to put it back on. It was a pain in the butt to get off and I don't feel like messing with it. I know it doesn't look as nice without it, but will it hurt my engine/hood/paint if I leave it off?

Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.