Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if the sound output on anyone's stereo in a Scion Tc was kinda low? Mine seems kinda low and I am starting to think there might be something wrong. What do you usually have your volume set too?

· Registered
509 Posts
I have the eq set for "Hear" and normal volume is at 50

If you put it on "Feel" it seems like it stresses and distorts the speakers to much.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok because I always set my volume at like 30 something and that just seems really high but not alot of sound and my boyfriend keeps telling me that I am going to blow the speakers if I turn it up to like 40 something. I hope thats not true....?

· Registered
453 Posts
only had the stock deck in for about 6 hours, but what i remember was having to turn it up really high in terms of numbersto get it loud, but sound qaulity was never effected, just the numbers themselves worried me.....sounds like ur fine, anyone know how high the numbers go up to??? i would assume 75 or 60....who knows

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea I didnt like going up past 35, it kinda scared me going up that high. I am worried that I am going to blow a speaker or something. People are talking about chaning the setting to xA or XB so maybe that will help. Hopefully I can just figure out how to do it now.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Press and hold SSP button, then volume up/down to select a car type. xA will seem louder.

I run mine anywere from 15 to 45, but never higher than that - and it's pretty damn loud. It all depends on how your CDs/MP3s are recorded I guess. I never listened to FM, so can't say anything about that. But XM and my MP3s are loud enough at sub-45 volume.

· Registered
509 Posts
I say I listen to mine at 50 do realize this. I do car audio comps and am normally listen to sounds up in the 145 db range on a daily basis so I have some hearing loss :S

I can still hear everything even with the music that loud doesn't bother me one bit. Scary eh

· Registered
453 Posts
LaVaism.....I'm right behind u on that one......i seem to have my volume quite a bit louder than the average listener.....ha ah but i just cant get away from the sound of a good system, i love it.....btw whats then name of ur store/site...i would love to check it out

· Registered
567 Posts
The stock tC audio setting SUCKS IMO. Either of the other two sound way better, i think mine is on xA. I try to keep it around 40 max... Although I just played a mp3 disk for the first time, and noticed that when you press "a" to go to settings, instead of Bass being the first one, there's a different one, I cant remember exactly what it is, SCA or something, but turning it on boosts the sound WAY up, especially the bass. Sounds nice... Only on mp3 cd's though...

· Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by Soundguy50@Apr 15 2005, 11:08 AM
only had the stock deck in for about 6 hours, but what i remember was having to turn it up really high in terms of numbersto get it loud, but sound qaulity was never effected, just the numbers themselves worried me.....sounds like ur fine, anyone know how high the numbers go up to??? i would assume 75 or 60....who knows
Goes up to 63, kind of a weird number to stop at...

and is is undistorted there.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by LaVaism@Apr 15 2005, 01:06 PM
I say I listen to mine at 50 do realize this. I do car audio comps and am normally listen to sounds up in the 145 db range on a daily basis so I have some hearing loss :S

I can still hear everything even with the music that loud doesn't bother me one bit. Scary eh
If you are "listening" to anything at 145 db on a regular basis, you won't be hearing for very much longer.

This link discusses the threshold of pain. 145 db is well over twice this level, as each 10 db is double the sound level.

OSHA requires controls for industrial noise at far less than this. This table is extracted from here.

TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1)
|
8...........................| 90
6...........................| 92
4...........................| 95
3...........................| 97
2...........................| 100
1 1/2 ......................| 102
1...........................| 105
1/2 ........................| 110
1/4 or less................| 115
____________________________|________________________________
Footnote(1) When the daily noise exposure is composed of two or
more periods of noise exposure of different levels, their combined
effect should be considered, rather than the individual effect of
each. If the sum of the following fractions: C(1)/T(1) + C(2)/T(2)
C(n)/T(n) exceeds unity, then, the mixed exposure should be
considered to exceed the limit value. Cn indicates the total time of
exposure at a specified noise level, and Tn indicates the total time
of exposure permitted at that level. Exposure to impulsive or impact
noise should not exceed 140 dB peak sound pressure level.

Seriously, if you are regularly exposed to the intensity of sound you claim, you will be completely deaf in a very short time.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
If you have an MP3 that ripped at a low level, you might need to crank on it, but for commercially recorded stuff, you are right, it doesn't need to be cranked that high.

There also seems to be some difference between units. My FM plays quite a bit louder at the same setting compared to my IIP. Don't know why, but it just is.

· Registered
509 Posts
Yeah everybody keeps telling me I am going to be deaf before I hit 30. I try to keep everything at 135dB on a normal basis. I don't know why but when you can feel the bass every time you breath it's just a great feeling. I have had people complain of breating in the backseat because the subs move the air so much. Or I have had people try to light a match and the bass will put the match out. I have people tell me they heard me coming almost a quarter of a mile away. I go big when it comes to car audio, and thats with only 2 12" I think I can push the tC up in the 150 range with 1 12" just worried about the alternator. two yellow tops should help me out.

I tried those xA and xB settings, the xB setting seemed to be louder but the quality of sound wasn't all that great and the rear speakers almost sounded like they were being pushed to hard. Are there different speakers in the other scions or did they just do different settings for the size or speaker placement?

· Registered
185 Posts
i ####ing hate the stock stereo. will be replacing soon. only way it sounds close to decent is with my ipod plaing through the itrip (ironically).

· Registered
1,373 Posts
I didn't feel like starting a new topic for this one specific question, so I thought I'd throw it in here. Does anyone know if the stock 1 Disc Stereo will play CD-RW's, or if they have to be CD-R's? Cuz I'm kinda tired of making a new CD everytime I want to add a couple of songs to an MP3 CD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.