Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hey, that's my ceneter channel speaker!!! I fabricated it from 1/8" ABS plastic and Bondo. Yes, there is plenty of depth. The width was a little more tricky...very tight squeeze. Also you will have to come up with a method to mount the head unit. The center channel speaker was fairly easy to mount. It is much lighter than a head unit and I was able to attach it directly to the modified dash bezel. A head unit would definitely have to be mounted securely to the dash rather than just the bezel itself. It is possible, but would require even more work. I would guestimate that a shop would charge anywhere from $400-$600. You could prolly find someone to do it cheaper, but it may not turn out like you expect. There is alot of time involved here, not only w/ the fabrication aspect, but quite a bit of engineering as well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing

·
Registered
102 Posts
You might want to try it yourself and save a bundle. Being that the location is close to the floor you might be able to fabricate a bracket setup which attaches to either side of the center console metal base. Run the brackets up on either side of the HU and mount it at an angle. This might be a little easier than trying to mount it to the dash.
Also keep in mind what cmlloveless said about the CD eject and how far it comes out, or you might get stuck having to put the car in gear anytime you want to eject the CD.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good ideas Adam. I'm looking into putting a Mac Mini in there so I would need something to power the audio, but I'd fill up the factory hole with a stereo. It'll be a loooong time until I do this (saving up for an engagement ring :-D) but I was just curious. I'll keep the floor in mind. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.