Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.

Just got my tC today. I got the standard stereo as I plan to replace everything. Was on the Crutchfield website and they say a custom fabrication is needed to install any of the Alpine head units that work with the iPod adapter from Alpine. I have never wired a system and plan on having some pros do all of this.

So, what I want is some killer sound for this tC. Definitely a sub or subs of some kind. I would like control of the sub(s) output from the cockpit. Thinking of putting the iPod in the elbow/center arm rest top compartment.

I have looked at the various Alpine head units (compatible with the iPod box) and can't decide on one. The more expensive ones have a lot of crap I don't care about, like a gazillion settings and colors, etc. I just want good sound and tight bass, but not some crazy setup that shakes everything loose. The higher end models have specs that indicate more internal power, but will this really make a difference? I mean, how much power can a head unit provide? I would prefer not to have 2 amps, but if that is what it will take for clean sound, then that is the route I will take.

I have been pleased with Fosgate products in the past (have a Fosgate amp in my boat with MB Quart mids and Alpine head unit with JL Audio sub box).

And what about the number of speakers? It looks like there is room for 2 tweeters, and 4 mids.

What do you guys think of a Fosgate amp powering one 10" sub or one 12" or two 8" subs? I would like something removable if I needed to haul something in the hatchback.

I hope some of you stereo gurus can help me out as I would like to order something soon!

Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
When designing a subwoofer system, it is best to determine how much space you have within the area you want to sacrifice for the system. Then select the woofer (or woofers) that will work best in that space. Remember, a smaller woofer in a correct enclosure will out-perform a larger woofer in an enclosure that is too small. Often, people get hung up on woofer size first than try to shoe-horn the woofer into the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I went to the Alpine site and they have all these recommended system designs for what you want. I decided on a configuration of the head unit driving four speakers and an amp driving one sub. So I ordered a 12" sub without really thinking how it would fit in the hatchback.

Ordered the Alpine sub (SWR-1241D) and an Alpine mono amp (MDR-M301) to drive it. An enclosure for this speaker is about 14 inches tall and 10 deep. So it looks as though the little cargo cover won't clear it. But that is not a big deal really, as long as it clears the hatchback glass. I don't have a family and don't carry a lot of stuff around, so I don't need trunk space.

Now I need to narrow it down to which Alpine head unit to get with the iPod interface, and which speakers to go with it. I have no clue regarding what kind to get, and what will fit. The high end Alpine head, the CDA-9833 AND 9835 both have, on specs, the most powerful built-in amps. But would they be overkill for driving 4 speakers? Could I go with the 9827? I just want it to sound clean and not get drowned out by that sub.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I changed my order to an 10" Alpine sub in hopes that the cargo cover might clear it. A 10" sub should fill this car with plenty of bass, right? I have always owned trucks and run multiple subs so I am not sure.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just answered you on your other thread:

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1591

The 10" Type-R will be plenty and the MRD-301 is a great match for power. I would definately opt for the 9833. It will make a world of difference for the many reasons I stated, including the extra power. Consider the 9827 is 18W RMS and the 9833 is 26W RMS per channel. That's a total of 32W RMS more power w/ the 9833, plus the fact that you can turn on the X-over at 50Hz 24dB/oct and get rid of alot of the distortion caused by overdriving the mids at lower frequencies, effectively increasing the volume.

Here I go...rambling again. Anyway, get the 9833. You won't be sorry!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts