Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone yet used a PAC SWIX to make the 06 steering wheel controls to work with an afterm,arket radio? I'm ordering one and plan on doing it. Just curios if anyone has done it and documented it for ease of install.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well considering nobody has the 06 tC just yet I don't think it has been done. I haven't seen anybody do it on any other cars though. I am sure it can be done just a few wires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I have one. I pick it up tomorrow. Sat in it today. I'll have to document my install if I'm the first then.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the alpines this year have steering wheel controls, not sure how that works, but id say its worth a try

also, this years alpines seem to have alot of problems, especially the 9853/55 with the "glidetouch," bad move by alpine, i hope their 06 line is better

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Originally posted by it8ezbngrn@Jun 6 2005, 12:50 AM
Actually, I have one. I pick it up tomorrow. Sat in it today. I'll have to document my install if I'm the first then.
how is this possible?? i will need picture proof since most places didnt start shipment on this yet

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I'll take a pick tomorrow night after i pick it up, or do you want we to just fax the title? Yes mine arrived Portland OR on Thursday and Hit the dealer Sunday. Tuesday I pick it up.

And I have an older Alpine 9813 with MP3 changer

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
im nto trying to be harsh, just stating the unlikely hood that your getting it so soon. sure, you can fax the title if thats really necessary. just take pictures of the car. what color are you getting??

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flint Mica. I wanted white, but they said it would take a month. This car was already scheduled to come in so I took this one. I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. It has 1 mile on it. I'll be trading in my 05 STi. Right now the STi is to much money and to much resposibilty. I sat in it on Sunday just to see it becuase I never actually have driven one. I have seen them before and did an under car neon kit on one, but never really inspected one throughly. It just seemed to be the right car for the money, so I went down and put money down on one before I changed my mind.

I'm going to install a Passport SRX, Alpine 9813 + changer, Infinity Bass link, Clifford Matrix or Compustar (which ever proves to be safer) with a perimeter sensor, tilt sensor, hood lock and battery back up, Hella Supertone horns, MB Quart speakers. This is all stuff from my previous 2 Subarus.

I'm going to do the steering wheel radio buttons trick and maybe see about installing a power antenna, since everybody is using the short antenna. I want HID bad since my last 2 cars had it (legally) but I need to find a projection beam headlamp or make one. I fond Slyvania Xenarc lowbeam/driving lights taht look like fog lamps that are legal for $250 but they mey be to big or look funny that is.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Originally posted by aznxthuggie@Jun 6 2005, 11:53 AM
the alpines this year have steering wheel controls, not sure how that works, but id say its worth a try

also, this years alpines seem to have alot of problems, especially the 9853/55 with the "glidetouch," bad move by alpine, i hope their 06 line is better
Not quite sure where you're getting your information from, but I assure you, there are absolutely no issues with Alpine Glidetouch. As a matter of fact, I have only had one single failure on a 9855 with a Glidetouch problem out of several hundred sold to my Dealers.

There have been some backorder issues with these two models due to such high demand. This backorder situation sometimes leads to speculation of a problem, especially on a new model with new technologies implemented. Some retailers/salesmen may jump to conclusions and spew their assumptions onto consumers as if it were fact. This is most likely the scenario that you ran across. Point is, don't believe everything you hear just because it came from a guy on the salesfloor. Remember, he has to S.W.A.T. (Sell What's Available Today) in order to get paid.

BTW - Backorders began filling about two weeks ago and you should be able to find these models in stores once again. I cannot see how this is such a "bad move by Alpine" when the demand is sooo much greater than the supply.

Steering Wheel Controls - There are several CD models in the '05 Alpine lineup that are SW Ready in the form of a mini-jack on the back of the head unit, however there is an additional accessory that is required and you must have the factory SW controls to make it work. The ALP-SWI from PAC (Pacific Audio Corporation) is prewired with the mini plug that directly connects to these SW Ready head units. All that's left is to hard wire the adapter to the SW controls in the vehicle and program the SW buttons to the desired function on the radio...and, yes, it will work w/ the '06 tC!!!

Hope this clarifies thing a bit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm using a PAC-SWIX. Older head unit. Havern't started yet. Just picked up the car today.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thw SWIX has an IR eye that you will have to mount line-of-site to the head unit instead of a direct connection with the mini jack. Other than that, the adapters are basically the same. The SWIX should work for just about any brand/model remote-controlled head unit. I used this piece in my wife's Durango w/ the Alpine IVA-D300 and it works great!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by Alpman+Jun 8 2005, 12:48 AM-->QUOTE (Alpman @ Jun 8 2005, 12:48 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-aznxthuggie
@Jun 6 2005, 11:53 AM

Not quite sure where you're getting your information from, but I assure you, there are absolutely no issues with Alpine Glidetouch. As a matter of fact, I have only had one single failure on a 9855 with a Glidetouch problem out of several hundred sold to my Dealers.

There have been some backorder issues with these two models due to such high demand. This backorder situation sometimes leads to speculation of a problem, especially on a new model with new technologies implemented. Some retailers/salesmen may jump to conclusions and spew their assumptions onto consumers as if it were fact. This is most likely the scenario that you ran across. Point is, don't believe everything you hear just because it came from a guy on the salesfloor. Remember, he has to S.W.A.T. (Sell What's Available Today) in order to get paid.

BTW - Backorders began filling about two weeks ago and you should be able to find these models in stores once again. I cannot see how this is such a "bad move by Alpine" when the demand is sooo much greater than the supply.

Steering Wheel Controls - There are several CD models in the '05 Alpine lineup that are SW Ready in the form of a mini-jack on the back of the head unit, however there is an additional accessory that is required and you must have the factory SW controls to make it work. The ALP-SWI from PAC (Pacific Audio Corporation) is prewired with the mini plug that directly connects to these SW Ready head units. All that's left is to hard wire the adapter to the SW controls in the vehicle and program the SW buttons to the desired function on the radio...and, yes, it will work w/ the '06 tC!!!

Hope this clarifies thing a bit. [/b]
i'm getting the info from various car audio forums, just do a search on.. say.. sounddomain or any other large forum. You'll see what im talking about, people say the glidetouch gets stuck alot. My friends 9855's face motor also stopped working. Could have just been coincidence, but im worried.

i also hoped for 4v preouts on all models.. but no luck =(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by it8ezbngrn@Jun 5 2005, 07:10 PM
Has anyone yet used a PAC SWIX to make the 06 steering wheel controls to work with an afterm,arket radio? I'm ordering one and plan on doing it. Just curios if anyone has done it and documented it for ease of install.
this is exactly what I'm looking for

please keep me posted. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the PAC SWIX works. Its 4 wire hook up. Just use any of the Toyota diagrams that it shows in the instructions. Took 20 minutes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
has anyone done this yet?

i may want to remove my existing ipod stereo and sell it from my 06 if i can figure out a way to put my headunit in the car to work with the steering wheel controls..

·
Registered
102 Posts
So if I have a Alpine CDA-9847 will the PAC- ALP-SWI make it work with my 2006 steering wheel controls? I looked on their website and that HU wasnt mentioned so I am assuming its not compatable. I guess I will have to use the PAC-SWIX. Please correct me if im wrong or just let me know if Im getting the right thing. Also where is a good place to mount the IR eye? It would be cool if the eye was mounted so that the cover could be closed and the steering wheel controls would still work. I wonder if the inside bottom edge of the flip-up cover would be a good spot?????
thanks
Adam

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine is mounted just below the radio. It would work with the cover closed if you put a piece chrome tape in there. I used the metra kit but I ABS'd the pocket so it is a flat panel, no pocket. The eye is flushed in the ABS. I had it just under thr arm rest originally but my arm would block it so I moved it there. If it has something to reflect off of it would work with the cover closed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
it8ezbngrn,
So yours is mounted under the radio facing out and it is working? I thought the IR eye had to be facing the HU in order to work.
I understand how it would work if it was facing out and bouncing off of crome tape, but i dont understand how it works without reflecting off of anything and facing out pointing away from the HU.
Please explain how you got it to work like that.
thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It bounces off stuff in the car. The sunrooof mainly I think. But it still works with it open. Once in a while it won't work, but it is able to bounce off my hand. I had it just below the armrest facing the radio but I like to drive with large sodas and my arm resting on the shifter so that caused a problem. Then I placed in up ther and it worked, but once and a whileit won't, I think it has to due with the sunroof being opne and a good amount of direct sunlight. I'd leave it un mounted for a bit and drive around if you want to test a position.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.