Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I start my car from stand still on second gear. I heard many people never use the 1st gear and use the 2nd all the time. I hate going from 1st to 2nd so sometimes I just skip 1st. But I also heard that low rpm adds a lot of tension and strain on the tranny.

Anyone got any insightful thoughts and knowledge on the cons off starting the car with 2nd gear?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
2nd is low enough that it really isn't a big deal starting out in it unless you want to accelerate hard. It's only hard on the clutch if you slip it a lot. You don't have to slip it that much to work. I've done it lots, and my clutch looked just fine when I pulled it out to put in the flywheel.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm trying not to think about driving my tC in the snow. I swear to god I'll never live up here when I end up buying a house. Never, ever, ever, ever.

Either out in CA with my buddy who now works for Yahoo in San Francisco, or down south with some friends in TN or SC. I hate NY.

Ny's seasons:

Snow/Snow/Snow/Snow/Rain/Rain/Nice/Nice/Rain/Rain/Snow/Snow

It's sad.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Oct 9 2005, 07:09 PM
I'm trying not to think about driving my tC in the snow. I swear to god I'll never live up here when I end up buying a house. Never, ever, ever, ever.

Either out in CA with my buddy who now works for Yahoo in San Francisco, or down south with some friends in TN or SC. I hate NY.

Ny's seasons:

It's sad.
Sucks up in Syracuse, huh?

Sounds like way more rain and snow than here by Manhattan!

-Ed

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah i think you guys in upstate ny might just get more than michigan.. even the west side with the lake effect.. hopefully it's going to be a mild winter! haven't had a hot summer like this since 88.. that winter was mild as well.. let's see if my thought is right

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yea, but over the last 100 years, and the 10 hottest summers, 5 were mild winters, 5 were horrible winters!, means nothing. Im hoping for a snowy winter im a big snowboarder! Lake Effect is one cool thing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Oct 9 2005, 07:08 PM
2nd is low enough that it really isn't a big deal starting out in it unless you want to accelerate hard.
I think I got my answer here

I rarely start hard (at least not anymore). It's just normal driving that I start on 2nd, so I don't have to go through the first gear. Usually when I am on hills I'll go with 1st. It engages pretty much immediately so it won't be a problem for the clutch. My main concern was the tranny, I guess that's not an issue.

Living in NY I am pretty much accepted the fact that the tC will go through rain, snow, mud, and everything in between. These aren't gonna stop me from enjoying a new car!

·
Registered
868 Posts
It's not the snow that annoys me at all. It's the incredible amounts of salt the city feels should be poured on the roads to make it "better". Oh wait.. no.. it makes it worse most of the time. Snow + Salt = Slush. Slush is harder to get traction in than compacted snow. Why not just plow the streets? If you don't have snow tires to deal with the little amount of snow that's left on the streets, then too bad. But oh no, we'd rather have slushy streets and rusty cars. Yes, that's the better way.

I think if you live in a state where it snows, and you don't have snow tires, then you're an idiot. I've gone a couple days where it has snowed (and stuck) and had to deal with my 3 season tires (all seasons.. lol), and wow. Holy no traction batt-man. I can't wait to see how horrible my 18" perelli performance tires are in the snow, hopefully I wont get to. Slap a good pair of snows on some steel wheels, and you're good to go. Speaking of which, I'm still looking for steel wheels for my tC. Does anyone know of ANYONE who sells them yet? If I still can't find any, ill see if a camry 5 lugnut wheel does. Maybe that will work?

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Oct 9 2005, 07:09 PM

Ny's seasons:

It's sad.
Dont come to SC i dont really like it here i am from NY and i would much rather be up north insted of being down here.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Oct 10 2005, 05:34 PM
Speaking of which, I'm still looking for steel wheels for my tC.  Does anyone know of ANYONE who sells them yet?  If I still can't find any, ill see if a camry 5 lugnut wheel does.  Maybe that will work?
i do believe there's another thread on here saying that tirerack.com is offering a steel wheel & tire combo for the tc

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by serith@Oct 10 2005, 03:34 PM
I think if you live in a state where it snows, and you don't have snow tires,
What kinds of all seasons are you using? I had been driving in NY snow for a few years with all season with no problem. That includes massive snow storm, getting your snow-covered car out, as well as the aftermath (the slushing period). Usually I get Yokohamas and they work like wonders.

ps. when stuck, steer your front tires left and right. Use second gear to get out to saftey, then scream for help.

Scream damn it, screan ye hearrr!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.