Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first manual shift vehicle...and I've had a few friends tell me that it's alright to start off in 2nd gear...is this true??? Wouldn't it damage the clutch in some way, or hurt the MPG that u get??

·
Registered
832 Posts
In my opinion, it's not enough to worrk about. I do it all the time. First gear is incredibly low and unless you're on a hill or trying to get off the line in a hurry you can get away with starting in second just fine as long as you aren't frying the clutch.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I start in second a lot. Yeah, it will wear the clutch more, but not a lot. I've accidentally started in third a few times. It's still pretty low, but not really good for the clutch at all.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The only times that I start in 2nd is when I'm starting downhill. But we don't get much ice or snow here. I do have to admit that starting uphill in the rain is a pain, but I blame it on the worst tires I've ever had on a car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Incredible input guys....I guess it's not as bad as I thought, but I'll try not to make a habit of it.......What about your MPG, do u think that it might affect it.......

Not to sway from the topic too far, but I only got 18 mpg on my first tank on 89 octane (even though the manual only calls for 87) and I'm trying everything in my power to save every drop of gas as possible. I'm gonna watch how the second tank goes, and sticking with the 87.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Not sure it's possible to accurately calculate MPG from the very first tank. Even with the second tank when you know the galons / miles driven it is still not very accurate because different pumps click off at different times. Even the same pump can click off earlier or later depnding on how the nozzle is inserted.

I keep a record of my miles/fill-ups in my old palm pilot and have the lifetime average of 25mpg. I make a lot of short trips - my commute to work is only 2 miles, so it affects the mileage. Plus I like to take "shortcuts" through the city instead of driving on a highway, just to practice 5-speed in town.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I am sure that it's NOT possible to accurately gauge gas mileage from the first tank. Mine didn't smooth out until around 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by Repo1981@Mar 2 2005, 04:26 AM
Incredible input guys....I guess it's not as bad as I thought, but I'll try not to make a habit of it.......What about your MPG, do u think that it might affect it.......

Not to sway from the topic too far, but I only got 18 mpg on my first tank on 89 octane (even though the manual only calls for 87) and I'm trying everything in my power to save every drop of gas as possible. I'm gonna watch how the second tank goes, and sticking with the 87.
18? Wowsers. I'd like to see what's "average" here too.

So far, my average is about 25mpg in part freeway, part street. oh yeah, on 89mpg (and let's not get into that debate please).

BTW, my first tank I got about 20mp. My second was about 24, then I've been up around 26 and 27. all highway. But normal stuff, about 25.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've been averaging 25 or so. Better if I take a trip down to the Seattle area (about 200mi round trip usually). I've never run anything but 87 since the car doesn't need it. I can't see how there would be any advantage. I'll do a search to avoid bringing it up in this thread.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.