Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have gathered up most all the parts we need to fabricate our own turbo system and while waiting for a few more parts to arrive we are spending the time getting other important things ready for it:)

Today we clocked the EVO III GT compressor outlet so we can have it fire down instead of up, had to take it apart and make a notch, getting that big snap ring back in was fun, lol! We had to modify the front motor mount for some clearnce to do it, a bit of trimming is all, not to bad and nothing structural to be concerned about.

Once we had that figured out we pulled the tranny so we can install the Phantom Grip LSD, UR flywheel, Clutch Spectialists 6 puc sprung clutch and pressure plate. Plus we are installing the Hotchkis FSB and still tonight have to pour some two part eurathane motor mounts. Since they take a long time to cure, overnight at room temp then 24 hours at 150 degrees, we will do some other work while waiting on them.

Once that is done, back to the turbo install, we are building a stainless steel weld el manifold and are having one heck of a time coming up with a design with equal length runners and firing order clocked(a bit over the top there;) as our goal. Not sure we can make that work or not yet. We had one layout that would except the exhaust runners would hit the upper radiator hose and it was getting rather portly, to heavy. We have a new plan but will have to cut and tac weld a few parts to see if it will clear everything, once the tranny is back in and the motor setting where it should we will get back to the designing of the manifold.

We are going with an internal wastegate on th e turbo for better long term reliability (track days can be hell on a turbo system) and to save a bit of weight. We are not trying to build some dyno queen big power deal here, we want real world usable power, 300WHP should be more than enough and in fact will have to turn it down for autocrosses so we just do not have wheel spin all the time, even with LSD and race tires.

With the battery in the back now, we cut the floor out and welded in a steel battery box, it sits as low as possibe and over the rear axle on the passenger side now, we will have a very clean underhood appearance. Our theme will be black and polished aluminum and some SS as well, with black braided nylon wire loom. I am not really looking forward to the loom install, several days of taking connectors apart and working the wires through the loom is a great way to get a massive back ache but it looks great!

Anyway, I am dead tired, dirty, have work to do, have a great rest of the weekend!

Rick

· Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, just need a bit more challenge to keep life interesting and nobody was making what we wanted, a great flowing and very tough manifold. This project is more difficult than I though it would be, first designing it to have the attributes we want, then laying it out and all the cutting and fitting, it has to be exceptionally close in tolerances, then figuring out how to weld it together in the proper sequence so all the areas can be reached with the torch.

This is taking alot of hours and we have not even really started yet, lol!

We will consider making some depending on how ours turns out but we are going for performance over looks, may not look that great in the end. Plus, we would run it for some time to ensure it did not have any flaws causing it to crack prematurely.

We are not going to invest in a TIG welder for this either so the welds will have some buildup from using a MIG unit. I can lay down some pretty welds so it should look decent and I am going to practice quite a bit to ensure I have the settings correct for current, wire speed, etc and using SS wire of the proper formula is an important aspect. I will even have heat lamps, etc, to warm up and keep the parts as warm as I can while working on it, very important aspect that is often overlooked.

An adaptor could easily be worked up on a CNC machine if none are commercially available but just using a different turbo flange would be a better way to go. The real problem in using our design with a different kit would be the fitment of the compressor piping, certainly addressable but would have to be done by the car owner since we would not a have another manf kit here to test fit the parts. Intake is probaby fairly easy to adapt, outlet of the compressor may be interesting to work out.

A new exhaust outlet may be required, or just cut and paste in the parts needed to make it fit.

All the sudden, things start getting more complicated, even the tuning may need altered.

Now we end up with a bag of worns here, so many variables, alot of labor, parts cost, starts to not look like a good business model really quickly. The only way it seems it would be worth while is to develope a manifold, test it, then have them made in Asia so they would be low enough in cost to sell for a decent markup.

The fun side of being in business, I wish we could bring alot of things to market but the big picture is that is is costly, alot of time and effort, inherant risks are high(QA control being paramount) etc.

If somebody made an acceptable manifold(in our veiw), we would just buy one;)

But you never know, I still have a strong desire to do this anyway, time will tell!!!

Rick

· Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your time and helpful information! Great looking design!

Since I only have a MIG welder(proper gas and wire and can lay a good bead down), it is a 185 Miller, I sold my unused TIG (SD180Runner) when I moved. I know the welds will not be as pretty as a TIG but I do know I can make it strong.

I have flux paste for the backside of the weld and/or a way to purge as well;)

I have a great CNC flange, the same type of weld els as you are using, etc, just not finding an SS inlet flange so may cut one but it would be a pain on a drill press and chop saw in SS!!!!

Anyway, I may consider having you weld it up once the design is done if you are interested.

Let me know.

Thanks
Rick
[email protected]
(503_366-3064

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.