Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed there is a very high pitched squeaking/screeching sound when I shift up. It is not very noticeable, only when I roll down the windows and turn off the radio. But it seems to happen when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, after I shift and start letting up at the clutch. THen once the clutch is fully engaged and I'm accelerating I can hear a very high pitched sound, similar to the the same squeaking sound you get from breaking on a car.

Does anyone know what this might be? It doesn't sound like anything that bad, but it's kind of annoying. Is there such thing as oiling the gears? I'm thinking this might be the reason... Help? Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
never heard of anything like that before.... i would suggest to call the dealer... bring it in... just to be safe and all

·
Registered
426 Posts
yeh i hear it to..ur not the only one..theres another post about this somewhere else, someone sed that it might be the stock airbox sucking in air during shifting..but who knows could be wrong

·
Registered
107 Posts
i know what you mean.have no clue what it is.but i've noticed my clutch started squeeking when i press on the cluth and its now starting to annoy me.any lube?or anything??

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It's intake noise. Get used to it, it's normal.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It has nothing to do with the exhaust. All tCs have a noise like a very quiet turbo spooling up, even completely stock ones. Most of the time it's hard to hear though (I've only recently heard it while driving with the window down).

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I hear mine, pretty much any time when you have the throttle past about halfway down you will probably hear it. I have the TRD exhaust too, i doubt it is related though. It is normal I believe, if you really want to know take off the airbox and drive and see if it gets louder, then you will know for sure.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I wish my squeeking sound was twice as loud, it sounds so cool...Im not going to add an exhaust or aftermarket intake because being lo9ud sucks, but on the other hand the squeeking is nice or else til I get a real turbo and BOV...

·
Registered
107 Posts
its really noticeable driving in a residential area going about 35 and driving near a fence because the sound ricochets off the fence and into the car.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Lots of them, but most have some kind of sound abatement in place to keep you from hearing it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by jetleigh@Aug 23 2005, 08:31 AM
I've noticed there is a very high pitched squeaking/screeching sound when I shift up. It is not very noticeable, only when I roll down the windows and turn off the radio. But it seems to happen when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, after I shift and start letting up at the clutch. THen once the clutch is fully engaged and I'm accelerating I can hear a very high pitched sound, similar to the the same squeaking sound you get from breaking on a car.

Does anyone know what this might be? It doesn't sound like anything that bad, but it's kind of annoying. Is there such thing as oiling the gears? I'm thinking this might be the reason... Help? Thanks.
Does this sound happen between approx. 2000-3500 rpms then cut off? If so, I and everyone has the same thing. As best as I understand it is either air intake, or gear related and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I f-ing HATE that sound. It drives me crazy. I don't want to try and sound like I have a turbo when I don't. I'm not a poser. Does anyone know how to lessen it or make it go away completely?

Lo Bux, is there any way I can get a sound abatement in there to shut it up?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not really. The factory did about the best job you can do economically.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Aug 23 2005, 09:45 AM
All tCs have a noise like a very quiet turbo spooling up...
i have noted this also.

how can i get a "sort of like a very quiet blow of valve" type sound to go along with it? haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
happens to me too and i have 42k miles on mine. Sounds exactly like a baby turbo. I just figure it's letting out pressure somewhere which is a good thing I guess. It happens when im accelerating and upshifting too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.