Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the speedometor checked May 10 2005,
Turns out its 2 to 3mph above what your reading .

jus thought everyone should know . It might not be that way for everyone scion.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Originally posted by SilverX@May 11 2005, 09:48 PM
I thought companies did it on purpose so people would drive slightly below speed limit.
But wouldn't they want to make the reading higher than your actual speed, so you think you're speeding when you're not? Maybe I misinterpreted the first post, but it seems like it's the other way around...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
^^^That's how I read it too.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
We had couple of posts about it. I used several GPS receivers and came to a conclusion that tC, as well as many other toyotas on stock size tires read 2mph above your actual speed, as in the speedo showing 60, you are going 58. Doesn't bother me. Keeps me 2mph away from a ticket.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Oh...so from your experience, your actual speed is less than what you're reading? I'm just a little confused, b/c the first post says that your actual speed is above what you're reading...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Wheel size matters. And that's what my GPS says and several others that were in my car and my friend's Toyotas.

·
Registered
515 Posts
becareful with GPS readouts, there is a slight delay so they are normally off by 1 - 2 miles (speed wise)

·
Registered
658 Posts
well you can check it easly if are driving on the street and you see one of those police radars on the side of the street, which shows how fast you are going you will see teh diference. It's always between 2-3 miles off. Thats why i drive 8-10 over speed limit. If i get a ticket it would be for 6-8, in that case i could easily get dismisted in court.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Actually the best way to do it is to use milemarkers and a stop watch over about 10 miles. Speedos are allowed +/- 3% accuracy, so most mfrs indicate more than your actual speed to keep you out of trouble. The only car I've ever owned that had the correct speed indication from the factory was my Supra. It is dead on accurate. All the rest have indicated high.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Originally posted by ScionGTR@May 12 2005, 12:46 AM
well you can check it easly if are driving on the street and you see one of those police radars on the side of the street, which shows how fast you are going you will see teh diference. It's always between 2-3 miles off. Thats why i drive 8-10 over speed limit. If i get a ticket it would be for 6-8, in that case i could easily get dismisted in court.
There was one in my neighborhood, I went at 16mph and the reading displayed 13mph.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Those portable ones you see on the side of the road are fun to play with, I drove by one a couple weeks ago it said i was doing 35, later on that day when I knew I would be driving by it again I tried to see how high I could get the numbers to go, I was doing 110

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.