Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my current car (96 Honda Accord) I have some pretty expensive four way speakers. The sizes are 6x9 and 5 and a quarters in the door. I was just wondering if it would be worth it to run to best buy and pick up some 20 dollar speakers to swap them out or just leave them in the car because they wont fit in the tC anyway.

Thorn

·
Registered
54 Posts
won't fit...go to circuit city.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Per Circuit City's auto-fit guide, the speakers are 6 1/2" all around, except for the tweeters of course.

·
Registered
675 Posts
From the service manual and info i've seen.. the front speakers are riveted in place! and according to scion, they told me the fronts are poly woofer 6 1/2" and the rears are a 5 1/2" paper speaker.. yeah a funky size..looks like adapter rings are in order.. when you do the speakers let us know if you had to remove the door panels.. the rear looks like it just has a grill that pops out..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Replaced all speakers. 6.5's will fit all the way around. Went with kappa perfects. Note: if replacing front speakers (including tweets) and radio - use aftermarket crossover. You'll blow the tweeters otherwise.

·
Registered
675 Posts
so when you say that 6.5" will fit.. are they direct drop in, that they fit without having to drill or cut anything new?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used self tappers in for screw but otherwise pretty straight forward. The tweeters required a touch of hot glue to seat them...

·
Registered
348 Posts
where can i find aftermarket crossover, how are the kappas? arent the like a subwoofer/speaker or sometihng weird?

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Originally posted by rochestertc@May 25 2006, 07:52 AM
where can i find aftermarket crossover, how are the kappas? arent the like a subwoofer/speaker or sometihng weird?
I'm a sucker for infinity

When you purchase a high-end component system, it should come with a crossover for your cone and tweet. But if you want an aftermarket crossover, try crutchfield.

The aftermarket xovers you'll end up finding are usually for amps that do not have xovers.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Also, you need adapter rings. Dont just use self tappers, or something silly like that otherwise you will get vibration and reverb. I used alpmans adapter rings, made out of MDF. It saves you the hassle of making your own. This picture is dark, but should give you the idea. The MDF ring is painted black, kind of triangular shaped and right behind the speaker. Also i might mention that it is all sitting on RAAMAUDIO mat, see raamaudio.com (this is a shameless plug for Rick, but his product did amazing things for my sound quality)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts