Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see by reading the owners service interval manual that the Scion Xa and Xb have been designed for spark plug replacement every 30,000 miles. The first replacement I see for the tC that is listed is at 120,000 miles...at least that is the way I read it. that is the only place that I do not see replacement listed for just "Xa and Xb". I may be missing something or may be blind. Are those iridium plugs supposed to last that long? Not that I will be getting there anytime soon, but I like to know what all the intervals are for my car.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yes they certainly are!! Iridium has the conductivity of copper yet is 1000% more durable. I will change mine at 50k, just because i want to hehe.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that is a along time. Since I have never kept a car that long I guess I will not have to worry about that for a while. My Fiat spider is a 1981 and I don't have but 105,000 miles on that one..it gets plug changes often though. I think the tC will get them a bit more often than 120,000 miles too! Of course the iridium plugs are not cheap.... Thanks for the input guys!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Just as a reference point, the MkIV Supra recommends 60k mile plug replacements. I run ~16 psi boost vs. stock 8.8 psi, and I still get better than 60k miles on my plugs.

I have 139k miles on my MkIV, I'm on my third set of plugs. I dyno'd at 106k miles in Las Vegas at the 2000 Supra meet at 330 rwhp with 40k miles on those plugs. Oh, yeah, that's bone stock (cats, air filter, exhaust, EGR, smog legal everything) except a bleeding VSV and GReddy BCC for raised boost and a light (11 lb) flywheel on 100 octane fuel.

I'd bet a lot of money those plugs will be just fine to 200,000 km (~120k) miles.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I could've sworn the tC had individual coilpacks thus no plugs or plug wires (or is it just no plug wires?). I guess I need to reread my service manual.

Edit: Ok, so we have plugs but no wires, correct?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by simplespirit@Feb 14 2006, 04:57 PM
I could've sworn the tC had individual coilpacks thus no plugs or plug wires (or is it just no plug wires?). I guess I need to reread my service manual.

Edit: Ok, so we have plugs but no wires, correct?
Plugs the tc has...wires not really ...due to the coil packs for each plug.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Don't buy into any of these aftermarket plugs (ie bosch +4, splitfire etc) I do allot of driveability troubleshooting and many times the culprit is aftermarket plugs. Stick with OE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts