Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 06 Scion tC with the audio upgrade to the ipod stuff.

I did not buy the 10" subwoofer cause I thought it would end up too pricey ($450!)
I found the exact same part on other websites for almost 200 dollars less, but I wanted to ask about it first.

I don't know what to do.
I kind of want the subwoofer option it came with, and found it for $264.
But I'm told 100 watts isn't much and I could buy better for cheaper.

I don't need anything crazy, I just figured for about the same price if I can get something nicer I might as well try!
What kind/size/watt subwoofer should I get, and what amp will I need to get? will it be a problem or take up too much room? Would it look weird or be a hard install?

I've never upgraded or modified any car before. Never bought a new sound system or anything. Always driven older cars, I'm a college student, and this is my first new car!
(so I really meant it when I said "for newbs" -keep it in noob for me heh)

What do you really recommend? The thing that makes the one it come with attractive is just that it looks like it fits in nicely and doesn't take up much room, hassle free.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Welcome, and happy birthday.

The bazooka sub isn't good, and takes up a lot of room. You're not gonna find anything decent for cheap

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't see it in person, just in pictures. I just liked the clean fit look it had. I was browsing through this forum for a while and saw a ton of stuff about what people added and how and it made my head spin

Let's say on the 1-10 scale, the bazooka stock option is a 3. Then I just want a 5 or a 6. Doable within $400 or so total? I care almost more about how it looks in the trunk (and how easy or hard it is to get it that way) then just how strong or w/e it is.
Even stock sound without the sub will sound nicer then any of my older cars.

thans btw for the hb, 21 now

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have a basslink (enclosed, 10 inch, and 200 watt), which i bought on ebay for about $225, and it sounds good.

it doesnt have a lot of the really low end stuff, but i listen mainly to rock/alternative music and it compliments that music very nicely while still giving you a lot more bass on the bass heavy stuff (my friend has an '06 with stock sound and music in his tc sounds horrible compared to music in my car). as for loudness, i have mine set at about 1/8 max volume and some of my friends complain that it is too loud

im a complete newb too, but i decided to do the install myself and it took about 8 hours. i think the whole sub takes up less than a cubic foot and it is self powered so you dont need to buy an amp

here are some pics (not mine)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking into those self-powered ones.
Thinking of maybe a

Basslink II.

"250W Class D subwoofer amplifier, 10" subwoofer"

"Power Output: 250 Watts
Frequency Response: 20Hz – 320Hz
Variable Bass EQ: +3dB to -6dB at 45Hz
Variable Electronic Crossover: 32Hz – 320Hz"

I really like the self-powered part.
I think that's good for what I want - just some extra power, nothing crazy. Really want something to take up less room then the stock combo and preferrably look just as hidden/nice, and this seems to fit.
Can't afford to go all out with stuff, and there's no point getting a nice amp/sub combo if I stick with the stock speakers.

Do I need to order any extra stuff or need to mount it against something or drill anything? Any diff recommendations? Do I have to run wires around or through the car somehow?
i should take this one baby step at a time, lol.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by HaTeOnThYs05@Nov 8 2005, 07:15 PM
please do not get the basslink. everyone has a basslink. my grandfather has a basslink in one of his cars. choose somthing else.
That's just stupid, Kev. If it is good then it is worth buying.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by HaTeOnThYs05@Nov 8 2005, 08:28 PM
open your boundaries. there are Alpine Type R's, MA Audio MA12G6, Kicker Solo-Barics, Infinity Kappa, and MTX Thunder4500. Pick one of those and you should be good.
Those are expensive and they require amps and more than just simple wiring. This guy wants inexpensive and easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My boundries were a bit small, heh.
I'm looking at those but won't they end up being more expensive? Cause I'd need to get the housing or whatever and an amp as well.
The charm in the stock option was it makes newbs who don't know what they're doing feel like they get something. That's why I like the baselink. Looks better then stock, but still just 1 thing ready to go , no need to find room for a sub and amp or find housing and stuff

edit: heh, thanks Plissken. I should probably just live with what it is and save the money for textbooks for next quarter but...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a nice system in my truck. I spent a lot of cash and a lot of install time. When I got my Scion for a daily driver, I decided to go simple. I was going to build a custom box for a single 10" but on a whim decided to give the Basslink a try. It was simple, clean, easy to install, and sounds fantastic. It well exceeded my expectations. I've never regretted it for a minute.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'll get the Basslink II. Looked into the other self-powered stuff and this seemed to be the more highly rated one. Class D 250 watts.

I spent a while trying to find it cheap, narrowed it down to a site that sells it for $303 with free shipping.

Is it safe to buy this stuff over ebay? Heard horror stories about faulty products or stuff that stops working quickly. Don't know if it will save much more, most of them are going for 240 to 260, but then 40 or so for shipping.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i bought mine over ebay and mine is perfect

just make sure you find a seller that has over 1000 positive ratings and over 97% positive ratings. also make sure that they have a return policy

online stores can actually be worse than ebay. i always look up the site here if i wanna buy something off of a site and if it has bad ratings or no ratings at all (meaning that very few people have bought from there) then chances are that they are worse than reputable sellers on ebay

heres one from a good seller and its $295 after shipping

you might also wanna search on ebay for "scion tc rca amp" (i didnt make up the term, the guy whos do-it-yourself guide i used made it up) and buy that. its basically all the wires you will need for the install plus adaptors for you head unit. my friend said it was a rip off(~$75) and it probably is, but i think it made the install a lot easier

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright...I read through the link to the car getting gutted (scary wow!) and others about installs from this board.

I'm going to spend the next few weeks trying to catch a good ebay deal for the Basslink II.

Will I still need one of those kits for this thing, even if it's got the self-powered amp thing goin on?

And how badly would I need to take apart stuff to hook it up and mount it? I saw some reviews that these were made to be easily removable and stuff.

Cause the pictures alone scared me in those other threads. of what they all did just to add more. Especially the gutting one, wowsers. Then the talk about replacing the HU and stock stuff, etc, or spending some more to get this and that, I just can't do that.

I may just call up a local audio install place and have them do it when I get this thing. Just scared they'll mess the car up or something, some of the stuff removed looked intricate/delicate.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
If you need to get an adapter, get one of Alpman's.. The only reason you would need an adapter is if the basslink uses RCA inputs. It's not that hard to remove the pieces to string the wire.. If you look at those gutting pics and the pics of my install (In the 4 hour install topic), you'll see it's not bad. You just pull the panels off, with a decent amount of force. It might hurt your fingers a bit, especially for the center console. The panels are on really tight if they haven't been taken off before. I've done it several times lately and it gets easier

It's really easy to do. If you want, I can try to make up a more in-depth walkthrough for you.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
They'll attach just as firmly. The panels will clip right back in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.