Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just found these forums while browsing the web for scion wallpaper.

I'm going to be buying a Scion in August, and after glancing at some of the posts here, one question I had was this...

Are there any options you all have gotten on your Scion when you purchased them that you found to be not worth it? i.e., the security system, stereo, etc.

I'd rather not waste the money on an option if I can do better just getting my own from somewhere else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
you try adjusting all things you can adjust?? the tC seats are by far some of the most comfortable seats i've sat in.

as for your question Rob. I believe the scion security isn't worth what they sell it for. there are many other alarm systems out there that are way better for the money. also i wouldn't get the 6 disc radio... because the radios play mp3 files, you can have many albums on one disc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just keep in mind this: every single option you get through the dealer will be overpriced from the $145 floor mats that everybody says have been falling apart on them in a matter of months, to the $525 exhaust that's just louder than stock, to the $300 steering wheel upgrade, $250 to put a few colored LEDs under the dash, $450 for a subwoofer, $1565 for the rim upgrade, a security system that costs about as much as a Viper system, to $225 for simple strut bar that goes across your engine. The car is a very good deal at stock price, but once your start adding on these overpriced addons it can easily cost over $20k which is no longer such a good deal anymore. That is where Toyota and the dealers start making money off these cars. If you want an addon, make sure you want it bad enough to justify it being overpriced.

I'm going with a pedestal spoiler ($423), not because it looks so much better than aftermarket (it doesn't even have a light on it or anything) but because this car just looks like it needs a spoiler to accentuate it, I figure factory spoiler is going to be made for it (better matching color and materials), and I'll have less of a chance having any problems with it than aftermarket. And I'm going with the sport pedals ($79) because they look much better than stock, and wheel locks ($59) for peace of mind- too many kids run around slashing tires, letting the car fall on blocks, and taking off the rims and stealing rims is all the craze lately. I know they can just break the locks but with a decent aftermarket security system this gets harder to do. I'll probably get a hornet security system that will work with the factory keyless entry, maybe a remote starter, and some of those cool LEDs you can stick in the window to tell everybody there's a security system. Plus you can have the Hornet security system lock your doors as you turn the ignition. I'll probably put in a seat warmer too for those cold nights.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i got the pedestal spoiler as well however as far as price goes u can get one from Ken (www.trdsparks.com) for half the price and its already painted....i u have any mechanical knowledge its easy to insatll as is many of the mods...go throught Ken or others for your options...the dealer way overprices them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
im getting the springs cause they are dealer installed and the tie bar w/upgraded ipod stereo in my 06 flint mica tc i ordered

only options i thought were worth anything

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's where I run into a slight dilemma. I'm not mechanically inclined. I can change the oil, I can change a tire, but that's about where it ends heh. So any aftermarket parts I get, I'll probably have to get installed at a mechanic, which will jack up the price anyway. I guess I could get a book and try it myself, but I'm not so sure learning on a brand new car is the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.