Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I have been reading up on the scion tC for the last couple weeks and i am really stuck between the tC, Mazda3 and Mazda RX-8. I just have a few questions about the tC, hopefully you guys can help me out.

First, I am 6'1" and about 195lbs, do you think this car is big enuf for me? I really need the legroom, and does that mean no one can sit in back of me? What do you guys think about the pedestal spoiler? Does having the moonroof w/o a sliding door cause the heat to leak out through the moonroof at a faster rate? What do you guys think about tinting all the windows? And lastly, for those who have had a chance to drive both the manual and automatic tC, which one was more fun
? Please let me know what you guys think. I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The car is definitely big enough. I'm 6' and 230 lbs, and I fit comfortably. The back seat is cavernous; no need to worry about leg room back there. The only worry in the back seat is head room, which sucks. Fortunately, the seats can be reclined a little or a lot, so this alleviates the problem somewhat.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm 6'3". No problems here.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Originally posted by mandaior@Feb 17 2005, 08:55 AM
Hi guys!

I have been reading up on the scion tC for the last couple weeks and i am really stuck between the tC, Mazda3 and Mazda RX-8. I just have a few questions about the tC, hopefully you guys can help me out.

First, I am 6'1" and about 195lbs, do you think this car is big enuf for me? I really need the legroom, and does that mean no one can sit in back of me? What do you guys think about the pedestal spoiler? Does having the moonroof w/o a sliding door cause the heat to leak out through the moonroof at a faster rate? What do you guys think about tinting all the windows? And lastly, for those who have had a chance to drive both the manual and automatic tC, which one was more fun
? Please let me know what you guys think. I greatly appreciate it!
Anyone have any input on his other questions? AT or Standard, excessive heat loss through the sunroof??

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
As for tinting the windows...it looks sweet.Look here. I plan on getting mine tinted asap. Definitely in the next month or so. As for the pedestal spoiler, I think it looks better than a lot of cars with spoilers, but I'll take mine with none. I've noticed no issue with heat loss and the moonroof. Finally, if you like driving a manual, get that. It's really nice. If you prefer the simplicity of an auto, you can go there, not as fun though.

As for your choices, I prefer the tC hands down over the Mazda3. I've never driven an RX-8, but that's a totally different price range. For me it would come down to how much you are willing to spend on a car for that decision.

Good looking out, Ken.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I test drove the Mazda 3 and didn't like it. Don't remember why, it's been too long. Don't know about the 8. I had a Mazda MX-6 that was great. The auto window went bad & had to be repaired too soon, though.
The manual is definately more fun. Driving an automatic is boring IMHO.

Sunroof & heat loss, no prob in florida
Will probably tint the windows lightly to keep good vis, some have reported problems backing if too dark tint
For the price difference & good gas mileage, you can't beat the tC

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Auto tran is okay but lacks the pickup of the manual, no probs with sunroof/ moon roof would recommend 20-30% tint anything lower is really hard to see out the back of the hatch.. I have 15% really really dark

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
There is *maybe* a one-second difference in the 0-60 between the auto and manual, and I can tell you that it's not at the low end.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't know about the 3's but if you are worried about leg and head room the rx-8 is defenetly not the way to go! I would suggest sitting in them first. The rx-8 is rather small and tight inside. And no room in the back seat if you sit all the way back. I still like that car though! The potential under the hood is amazing! As far as the 3 or the tc . . . Just look at them and you can see that a Tc will defently turn more heads. And I would guess that they would have around the same amount of room inside. Very similar sized cars!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i test drove my friend's mazda 3s, i liked the tC better in terms of handling and accelleration. Although they have similar 0-60 times, the 3 seemed to get most of its power in the higher rpms, and did not have the mid and low end pull of the tC. I also test drove an auto tc at the dealership and bought a manual. Couldn't be happier. I'm in traffic every day and it doesn't bother me that I have the manual. They are similar cars in terms of leg room, i believe the rear leg room on the 3 is a bit bigger, but who the hell cares. I'm 6', 175 lbs and fit fine, my dad is 6'3 and has no problems also. You just gotta play with the seat to adjust it specifically to your size. The rx-8 is a sweet ride, but keep in mind it's 10K more expensive, so the price range it waaay different. I've taken plenty of road trips in the tC with 3 other people in the car at the same time, never had problems with room. You also can't beat toyota reliablity and quality.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Feb 17 2005, 07:23 PM
Do keep in mind that the RX-8 has that weird Mazda-specific engine.
Yeah, the Renesis engine. It's rotary...totally different design than most other cars out there. Howstuffworks.com has a really good article about rotary engines.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I test drove the 3 and liked it. The design was alright except for the front grill and the weird/cheap plastic band underneath the rear bumper. I didn't go with the 3 because it was a Ford....err I mean Mazda, which just isn't as good as Toyota with respect to quality and some other things. But the 3 is still a nice car IMO. I don't think it would be a terrible choice.

I think the pedestal spoiler is nice. I've only seen it in pics though. And as you will see from this site, spoiler preferences are highly subjective.

I haven't had any problems with heat loss from the roof. Keep in mind that there is a sliding cover for the roof.

As far as size, I can't really say. I'm only 5'10. It seems pretty large to me though. And of the few rear passengers I've had, I've heard nothing but praise for its roominess.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
the rx-8 is a lot of fun to drive. it is tighter, and the ride comfort definiately does not come close to the tC, but it is fun. its also a little more money than a tC. the moonroof shades were adequate in the summer, they did not allow the interior to heat up against the a/c. so far in the winter, i have not noticed any heat loss from the interior cabin via the moonroof either. the five speed is more fun, but the auto is no slouch either. it makes a good case for going auto. the back seat is more roomy than an 8, no doubt. and you can seat 5, instead of 4 in the rx-8. dollar for dollar? tC. no question.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well I can answer the Auto vs. Manual for you. I test drove both and i had way more fun in the manual. So much more responsive. When i test drove it I pushed the seat all the way back and the 6'0 220# sales guy fit behind me. He did have to recline the back seat and kinda bend his head down a bit but the back seat is a bit cramped for head room not leg room. Just about every car looks better with tinted windows so i wouldnt be concerned about that. You will like the down low torque of the tc better than the rx-8. The 1.3 liter rotary engine in the rx-8 doesnt make power untill the revs get up there. From what I've heard though, the car handles amazingly. But that car comes at a price. One bad thing about the rotary engine design is that the combustion chamber seals(known as apex seals in the rotary)tend to wear down. You have to rebuild them sooner than a piston engine. So theres a few things for you to consider....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.