Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yea, avoided a deer and hit a guard rail. I just had a few questions.

If my car is totaled, how much will the insurance company give me?

If it's not totaled, will they fix it?

If it's not my fault does my insurance go up alot?

This sucks, only had my tC for like 2 months. Then it died.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
You may be found at fault here, because they can't sue the deer.

So your premium will increase by about 20% I guess, and you will pay the deductible.
You could try and fight it in Court, explain that there's nothing you could do and avoid the premium increase if you win. Not sure though.

Most insurances give you the amount you paid for a car that young.
If not totaled, of course, they'll fix it.
All that is up to them.

Sorry about that.
We'll be looking forward to the pictures.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Honestly if it comes between me slamming a deer and me slamming a guardrail... the deer moves so I am plowing through bambi. Not sure if you should duck in that situation before you hit it but I don't think it would hurt... lol.

Good luck though let us know how you made out incase anyone elese decides to play chicken with the deer and lose.

·
Resident Swagologist
4,929 Posts
yea, if you hit the deer, there's actually proof that it existed. lol There was a kid on here that had that happen to him. he said something along the lines of "if there's a deer in the road, Just hit the damn thing"

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
if you're going to hit an animal, especially a deer, HIT THE DEER. Soft squishy object, vs. metal/concrete.

Not to mention, your insurance files it under comprehensive (act of God) claim, and your car gets fixed. You slamming into a guard rail to "avoid a deer" tells them nothing other than you hit the rail. Unless you have a written statement from the deer stating that he's thankful he's alive, and that you really did avoid him.

Didnt your parents/driving instruction tell you this stuff. NEVER avoid a deer if you're inevitably going to hit one. Never clean the car afterward. Deer hair/blood is evidence.

·
Premium Member
13,780 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car. I would have to disagree with some who have commented so far. Depending on the size of the deer, it can definitely do lots of damage. I come from Maine, where deer are abundant, and have heard of many instances where cars have been totaled from hitting them. It happened to my dad not too long ago. But, I guess it would have been better for you to hit the deer, insurance-wise.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I didn't plan on hitting the guard rail. There was a grassy little hill thing on the left side of the road, so I swerved up that then I lost control and it went into the guard rail on the opposite side of the road.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
the question was already said :
do you have GAP insurance?

If yes, then insurance will pay the actual cost of the vehicle today, and GAP will cover teh rest.
if no, then insurance will STILL pay the actual cost of the vehicle, and you'll be stuck with the rest..

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would have hit the deer than to hit the guard rail. Something worse could've came up like spinning out and acquiring some serious injury! Human life > Animal life.

Good luck getting everything fixed.

Sucks ass!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So yea it was totaled. Sorry I couldn't get any pics. I got a check that paid for most of it. I'm going to make payments on maybe an RS5 or something and use the money for school.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
that sucks, i say you should have hit the deer into the guardrail ;) then everyone will be happy lol
just messin with you but glad you're ok. let us know what ends up happening for a replacement.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I paid for the car upfront when I got it. And the reason I didn't hit the deer is because I was going around a sharp turn at 11:30pm and I saw it and swerved really quick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts