Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No one will install it. Dealership won't, local transmission shops won't. Either they have no information on the tC or they heavily advise against it.

I just got off the phone with a guy that said that light-weight flywheels will cause me to burn through clutches every couple of months as a daily driver and if I ever take it in for maintenance that it'd utterly void my warranty ~~

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Call Lance the next time you're in Northern California. There have been a number of installations at his garage. Enough, in fact, that I knew (sorta) what to do when it was Eric's turn.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that'd be cool, but I'm never in north california. heh, i don't even remember the last time i was in Oregon ><

If it comes to that, then I would probably opt for a road trip instead of relying on random circumstance to take me to CA

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I guess I should have been through a few clutches already. Or maybe that time I started out in third gear and slipped the clutch mercilessly at 6k rpm should have toasted the clutch. I don't know. I know I've put about 10k miles on this one without incident, and I know I put about 30k on my Supra without incident (unless you call wearing out a race clutch in 30k a problem, RPS didn't seem to think it was unusual for that friction material).

I daily drive my tC. A lot. I put a good thousand miles on it this week. I'm not having issues with the clutch at all. You're hearing a lot of misinformation from people who have no experience with light flywheels and are afraid there will be problems.

Make a road trip here. We'll have it on in three hours.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 6 2006, 10:35 PM
I daily drive my tC.  A lot.  I put a good thousand miles on it this week.  I'm not having issues with the clutch at all.  You're hearing a lot of misinformation from people who have no experience with light flywheels and are afraid there will be problems.

Make a road trip here.  We'll have it on in three hours.
I think that the flywheel mod would be awesome. But I live in NY. Although, one of my best friends moved out to San Francisco a few months ago, and I WAS considering taking a road trip out there to see him. Let's say I do this, and I meet up with you, and you (guys) install it. If I were to have any problems with it, where would I go?

Not only that, but would my dealer flip out if they saw it installed? Or would they be lame and blame some random future problem on it? I just see too many negatives. Why must you be on the other side of the country?! lol

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
We need a Lance in every major city.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by mattvs@Jan 6 2006, 04:29 PM
No one will install it.  Dealership won't, local transmission shops won't. Either they have no information on the tC or they heavily advise against it.

I just got off the phone with a guy that said that light-weight flywheels will cause me to burn through clutches every couple of months as a daily driver and if I ever take it in for maintenance that it'd utterly void my warranty ~~
thats ridiculous. if that was true half the supra community would be toasting clutches left and right, as so would i in my tC. it is my daily driver, and what i take when we go punish the hills and canyons, so it is driven hard. there is no adverse effect. this is one of the best and safest mods out there.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
In the new sport compact car mag they said that accelerating a pound of wheel weight is like accelerating about 1.5 pounds on your chassis. Accelerating a pound of tire weight is like accelerating 2 pounds on your chassis. Accelerating a pound of flywheel weight is like accelerating as much as 30 pounds on your chassis. Just food for thought.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The Fidanza flywheel drops 7 pounds. That should be enough to make you think about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dont see how a lighter flywheel would cause a clutch to burn out quicker? And i dont understand how a transmission shop wouldnt install it...dont they install flywheels ect everyday?

·
Registered
125 Posts
what do you guys think about the clutch master flywheel that one is about 12 lbs.. i herd that a 7 pound flywheel might be a pain in the ass to drive around all the time.. i do about 200 miles a day for my job? is this true?? would a 12 lbs flywheel make a difference compared to the stock one?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The Fidanza flywheel weighs 9 lbs 2.8 oz as measured on a US Postal Service scale. The stock flywheel weighs 16 lbs 9.8 oz on the same scale on the same day at the same time. So it weighs 7 lbs 7 oz less than OEM.

I drive it everyday. It never gives any grief. I've done this to five cars now, and no one is complaining about it being hard to drive. Sorry about what you heard, but whomever it was saying that has no experience with this combination. They are guessing. I am not.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i cant think of a single thing that would make a 7lb fw less driveable than a 12 lb. mine also is a daily driver, and there have been zero issues after thousands of miles.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Lance, I'm thinkin road trip! What do you charge on an install for a ystc.com friend?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
So far no one has complained about the price. If you are serious, PM me.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.