Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys with the 5's. Just wondering, if your driving pretty normal and shifting normal, does it sound like your slamming into second when you shift from first? It almost sounds like your shifting like your racing....but only from 1st to second. I dunno, maybe it's just me, no grinding or anything so I dunno.

·
Registered
54 Posts
it's probably the car Begining to be pushed a little harder.. the 2nd gear on the car is by far the best gear and it probably "grabs" the best and begs to be driven a little harder. Hope that helps.. dont push the car too hard before your 1000 mile mark

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, just hit 2700 miles today. It stopped doing it for now, maybe I just don't know my own strength? oh well, I ordered the TWM Short Throw shifter today and should be coming in the next two weeks I think. I can't wait!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ got mine monday, put it in monday night. i like it a lot. and the install, as with everything so far, was cake. so far, those who have tested it have come back with all thumbs up, so i gotta say it certainly rocks.

edit : the lower shift knob height on the short shift took about .00001 nanoseconds to get used to. i like where my arm lays when i rest my hand on the shift knob. the way i have my seat and such, it just seems to be be the most comfortable position it could be. if that makes any sense. someone out there has to know what i am talking about. oh well.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If anything I get a clank sound when shifting into second, but it somewhat depends how I hold the shifter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I get the clank sound sometimes too. I don't tend to "slam" it into second as there's hardly a point in doing so. I can ease it into second from first and still have time to pause before I re engage the clutch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Nov 10 2004, 03:27 PM
^^^ got mine monday, put it in monday night. i like it a lot. and the install, as with everything so far, was cake. so far, those who have tested it have come back with all thumbs up, so i gotta say it certainly rocks.

edit : the lower shift knob height on the short shift took about .00001 nanoseconds to get used to. i like where my arm lays when i rest my hand on the shift knob. the way i have my seat and such, it just seems to be be the most comfortable position it could be. if that makes any sense. someone out there has to know what i am talking about. oh well.
Yeah, know what your talkin' bout there kinda makes it a 'virtual extended' armrest. Looks better.

to Fool, TWM is just the companies name (not trying to be snotty, just letting you know) The Short Throw shifter works by moving the pivot point on the shifter (if made properly, versus simply cutting off the top half of the shifter) moving the pivot point of the shift closer to the top will shorten the throw. making your shifts quicker.

BTW: don't hear the sound anymore, weird, because now I have the Short shifter. You would think it would be louder or something, oh well.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have never heard any odd sounds from 1st to 2nd. But when I was learning the gears I had the gas down hard between 1st and 2nd and the clutch made a weird sound and the tires didn't chirp they straight smoked at about 15mph. I was on a busy road and at the next light a young guy in a car next to me asked me if I had a turbo in it. I said know just learning the gears and he called me a lier. Then I smoked his little civic ass, Lol it was funny.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would love to have seen you boiling second gear!!! I didnt really think it would have the power to do that, although when i went on a test drive I was smoking the tires in first every time I took off. oops..... the salesman was cool tho so he didnt care. I just cant wait to get mine.. only a couple months!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think the slamming feeling you noticed was the same thing I noticed. My take on it is this:
First gear is really short, so much so that it's almost unnecesary(sp?).
That combined with the slight delay in the damned throttle by wire system made it take a long while for me to be able to consistently drive smoothly in the lower gears at anything other than a snails pace. I'm at just over 1700mi right now and have become used to it so it doesn't buck around like that too often anymore, but once in a while if I've been driving something else it'll still happen.
I don't claim to be the worlds best standard transmission driver, but I have been driving a long while now and this is the first car I've had this trouble with. If someone figures a way to improve the throttle response in these cars, they'll make my day, and probably a fortune.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It would improve throttle response, but make the RPM drop between gears more pronounced thus making the task of RPM matching worse.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by courier11sec@Jan 25 2005, 02:19 PM
I think the slamming feeling you noticed was the same thing I noticed. My take on it is this:
First gear is really short, so much so that it's almost unnecesary(sp?).
That combined with the slight delay in the damned throttle by wire system made it take a long while for me to be able to consistently drive smoothly in the lower gears at anything other than a snails pace. I'm at just over 1700mi right now and have become used to it so it doesn't buck around like that too often anymore, but once in a while if I've been driving something else it'll still happen.
I don't claim to be the worlds best standard transmission driver, but I have been driving a long while now and this is the first car I've had this trouble with. If someone figures a way to improve the throttle response in these cars, they'll make my day, and probably a fortune.
It will always buck on cold cycle in second gear. A lightweight flywheel will make it worse, not better. It seems to be something with the software controlling the throttleplate. I'm not very impressed with this, but I have learned to drive around it.

I totally agree about the uselessness of first gear. I start in second a lot just because first is really too low. If I do start in first, I very often skip shift into third, then fifth. I really don't like the gear spacing in the gearbox at all, but I know why they did it that way. A very low final drive ratio (which it has) lets them use smaller lighter gears in the gearbox which minimizes the stress on the synchros and lets them build a cheaper gearbox with all the same reliability as if the gears were larger (and heavier, putting more stress on the synchros) and the final drive taller. It's a better deal from the CFO's perspective.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Lance, that makes really good sense. I've wondered myself why they would have geared the car the way they did.
I'm hoping the "intelligent" throttle control can be defeated somehow. I've driven throttle by wire vehicles before and they don't typically respond as poorly as this.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I think they also geared it the way they did to make it feel sporty. The 0-60 would be pretty pathetic on this car if they had used a taller gear ratio.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've just recently started noticing the weird response going from 1st to 2nd, and it only happens when upshifting, not downshifting.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Just got your car? It'll take some break in time on your shifting skills to smooth that out. And yes, that includes even if you've driven a manual for years.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I totally agree about the uselessness of first gear. I start in second a lot just because first is really too low. If I do start in first, I very often skip shift into third, then fifth. I really don't like the gear spacing in the gearbox at all, but I know why they did it that way. A very low final drive ratio (which it has) lets them use smaller lighter gears in the gearbox which minimizes the stress on the synchros and lets them build a cheaper gearbox with all the same reliability as if the gears were larger (and heavier, putting more stress on the synchros) and the final drive taller. It's a better deal from the CFO's perspective.[/b]
actually they gave the car shorter final drive to further give the car a "torquey" feel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts