Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as if they grinded off something and then went smooth again?
It was wierd, I slammed on the brakes and could feel rough
almost gravel likes pieces beeing smoothed out. The TC took a brief skip in the stopping, but
eventually stopped. For a second there, I was sure if it was going to. Its been rainning here alot, could it just be rust? I dont know...

Has this ever happened to anyone?

·
Registered
543 Posts
hard braking causes the abs to start working. The abs will cause the pedal to kick back pretty hard against you, and I do believe there can be a grinding noise also.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I get the grinding noise early in drives following excessive rain/snow or when I haven't driven in a couple of days. I believe it is the rust. It goes away once you've warn that crap off with the first few brakes. Nothing to worry about from what I know.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yup, there is constant sn ow here, and i always hear the grinding when i start my drives, guess it does go away because it dosent bother me after shes warmed up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What gotTC said...

If you just apply the brakes normal and feel a slight grinding (you should be able to hear it as well) that's simply just rust on the discs due water drying on them. However, if you SLAM the brakes, and the road surface is in any way compromised by rain/snow/sand/whatever, and you feel a heavy pulsing in the brake pedal along with audible clicking/grinding sound, that is the anti-lock brake system and the feel and noise is completely normal. Basically, the brakes are pulsating at a rate much faster than you could ever think about doing yourself and that's what keeps the brakes from locking. When ABS kicks in, sometimes it will feel as though the car is not going to stop, but trust your tC, it will. It's important that you don't take your foot off the brake pedal when ABS kicks in... just keep your foot there and steer in your intended path.

·
Registered
418 Posts
its not grinding..if u hear grinding during hard breaking you have a problem..its more of a loud humming noise..its the ABS kicking in after hard pressure to the brakes while driving..the only time you would hear grinding is like people that live in cold winter areas..ice and rust build up very quickly..i see rust start to form after about an hour my car is parked..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.