Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got my car with the built in sirius radio from the dealer. I was going to get a aftermarket HU but the guy said that I would also need a connector to make the sirius work and it was like $100 bucks. But after he looked at it he said that he may be able to just connect it without that. So my question was is if any of you guys know if I will need that extra connector or not?

· Registered
97 Posts
You can go either FM Transmitter that will be built in to the car kit, or you can go AUX port if you have an '06. Either way, there is no need for a $100 add-on.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks, but could you possibly explain this a little better to me, im sorry im kind of a newb when it comes to stereo stuff?

· Registered
97 Posts
If you buy a Sirius receiver that comes with the car kit (most do these days), it will have a built in FM Transmitter. THis means you can tune your radio to, lets say, 88.1 and it will pick up the signal from the Sirius unit and you'll be able to listen via your FM radio. Not the best quality option, although not horrible.

In the '06 tC's, there is an AUX port in the arm rest console that allows you to plug in an MP3 player and listen through your stereo. You can also plug in your Sirius receiver and not use the FM Transmitter. This option is better quality sound, but you'll have to run a cable from your receiver to the AUX port, as well as the power cable to one of your outlets.

If you have the stock receiver, I would suggest you just use that. There a few features missing that makes aftermarket receivers nice, but the fact that it's built in makes the stock unit nice. Your call really.

In one car I have an aftermarket unit, in my tC I have the stock receiver. I prefer the aftermarket unit, but I like not having wires or an additional unit in my tC.

It is really about preference.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
I don't think that aBtC fully understood your question. If I read it right, you're referring to the optional Sirius satellite radio that comes from the dealer, not an aftermarket sirius setup. I don't know for sure about the sirius setup, but I'm pretty sure that the XM that came with last year's model would only work with the stock head unit.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I already have a sirius receiver that the dealer installed, but when I went to the guy he told me that the xm radios usually can just plug right in but they have not done a sirius one yet so he cant tell me for sure. So I was just wondering if anyone knew so I didnt have to pay an extra 100 for that. Id rather not use the FM transmitter or have cables run all over the place to my AUX.

· Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, and I think I am still confused.

You have the stock sirius unit but don't want it anymore?

You want to replace it with a stock XM unit?
That's available at http://trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_...25&parts_id=623

My understanding is that you wanted to replace the stock sirius unit with an aftermarket unit.

Options:
1. Use the stock Sirius unit you already have.
2. Purchase the stock XM unit.
3. Buy an aftermarket unit and go FM or AUX.
4. Replace your head unit with a unit that supports XM and/or Sirius. But you'll still need an additional receiver. I do not believe the stock receivers in the Scion are compatible with other head units. I beleive they only work with the stock unit.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im sorry your confused. Ok, so I still want my sirius to work but I am buying an aftermarket head unit. I dont want to buy the $100 connector for sirius and was wondering if the dealer already put that in or watever? Also I would rather not use the FM transmitter because of quality, and I dont want to use AUX jack because of wires.

· Registered
39 Posts
kazer has the stock HU with the Sirius satellite package.

He's looking at aftermarket HUs, doesn't want to spend a ton on getting his Sirius running on the aftermarket HU because he's already given Toyota enough money for his Sirius receiver package.

I'd also like to know if anyone is aware of the answer here.

I've got that same issue, and the only reason I want out of the stock HU is because for some insane reason Pioneer didn't build the HU to rotate the PDT text. I like everything else about that HU, but it drives me nuts to see the first nine characters and then nothing. Most cars with PDT HU's stock will see the text rotate so that they can read the rest of the information.

Pioneer's oversight in this area is baffling.

· Registered
97 Posts
Zell - agreed!! I'm looking at replacing mine for the same reason.

I think I have read elsewhere that the stock receiver will not work with other HU's. But I have no idea if that is true or not. Sounds like Toyota is saying that it will for an extra $100.

Anyone else try this and have an answer?

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im glad to see im not the only one here! The guy at Al & Eds autoshop said that I would be kind of like the gunie pig if i went ahead and tried to do it because the xm radios are able to connect. So I guess I can go ahead and do it but if it doesnt work I will have to pay the $100, well $80 because of a mail in rebate, I just dont think i would pay the $100 right now seeing as I dont have that much money to cash out right now! I dont know wat im gonna do?

· Registered
97 Posts
I'll probably just buy a new Sirius unit, maybe the S50, and lose the stockj Sirius all together. I'll run all the cables tucked away and find a nice place to mount it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.