Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just aquired an orbiter sat. receiver from Sirius. I really like the sat radio compared to XM(personal opinion). I don't know where to install the receiver. I have a few ideas but I would like any opinion. I thought of the cubby hole above the shifter. eric

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hmmm...I'd try to recommend something, but I have no idea how large that receiver is, or what the dimensions are...

Can you post a pic and/or measurements of it?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Sirius and XM are both satellite radio, they are just two different brands with competing services. Last I checked, one was a dollar more per month than the other, and they both have a ton of channels. I think it's primarily a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't know where to put that man. I would probably suggest paying a little more and getting a deck that has Sirius so that everything sits flush in the dash rather than having the external receiver. However, somewhere just to the right of the steering wheel would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
409 Posts
hmm, did you already buy this reciever? If not and you didn't spend money a 6-disc I would suggest like the person above to buy a new headunit just to make everything more succint + you would save like 100 dollars but you can like bring that lil reciever around right? and plug it into like a boombox thingy and itll play for you soo yah... hmm how bout like on the dash? would that be too far? i 0n0 =)

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Guys, guys...you can get an XM setup that hooks directly into the factory Pioneer head unit, and that you can access and use entirely through the factory head unit without any visible added components on your dash. Less likelihood of someone breaking into your tC to steal your stuff, and much cheaper (I was quoted $280 installed at Hifi Buys on Friday).

It may be less flashy, but if you ask me, that's the way to go. I may do that in a month or two when I have some money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions everyone is well appriciated. I recieved the unit with a year subscription as a prize from work. I would like to use it in my car. I was thinking about putting it under the arm rest. there is a dc adapter plug inside there. that way it wouldnt be seen and it would transmit to the car radio using rf.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by ExTC@Aug 15 2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone is well appriciated. I recieved the unit with a year subscription as a prize from work. I would like to use it in my car. I was thinking about putting it under the arm rest. there is a dc adapter plug inside there. that way it wouldnt be seen and it would transmit to the car radio  using rf.
extc..

there is a part from www.pie.net that allows direct input into the radio via the rear harness plug in.. from what PIE told me you hit CD twice and it goes to the input..

or does your satellite receiver have an FM modulator (pick up the sound on like 88.1 or 89.1 fm)?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll be installing my unit today. It cost me $100 on ebay and has the FM modulator. You simply tune your FM to a preset number and it comes in clear as a bell. Only question is...where so I install the antenna? It is held on by a magnet, so it won't work on the glass roof. I let you know later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah Let me know since im going to install it in the next few days. I was alson wondering how to get the antenna to the arm rest. where it cannot be seen. I do know that the antenna is magnet. I have seen the antennas mounted on the side of the hatch in the back behind the FM antenna.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed the xm commander. I had the same antenna dilema. Solution. On the dash. Centered. Works fine.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by ExTC@Aug 17 2004, 02:56 AM
Yeah Let me know since im going to install it in the next few days. I was alson wondering how to get the antenna to the arm rest. where it cannot be seen. I do know that the antenna is magnet. I have seen the antennas mounted on the side of  the hatch in the back behind the FM antenna.
hey extc..

you could route the wire for the antenna underneath the carpet in the back.. around the right side of the rear passenger seat.. down the cushion side... then along the bottom of the cushion.. then go under the carpeting to come up right at the arm rest.. you could drill a small hole and come up underneath the arm rest inside there.. and there you'd have your wire.. hatchbacks are so easy to wire.. no need to go through the trunk! hope that helps ya.. and yes you could still mount it where the stock one goes..

if you need an fm modulator.. the kind that just broadcasts the signal without wiring.. (not sure if you said you did).. crutchfield MIGHT have something for that unit (if it didn't come with it).. but I remember seeing a wireless broadcast unit at radio shack.. it was for portable cd players.. the best way and I know i said it before is the pie digital auxiliary input device.. but yeah you have to take the radio out to do it.. i just think it's cool and if i was getting satellite radio i'd do that route.. otherwise i think radio shack had a little broadcast item..

I also think the arm rest is your best place to put it.. it's out of the way. and well theives can't see it..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really do appricitate that info. I will do excactly what you told me to do wire the antenna wire under the carpet and under the passanger seat. Drilling the hole is the only thing I might have a problem with. I don't want it to look cheesy and home made. I would like it to be as professional as possible. Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I installed the Sirius Reciever and it works great through the RF to the car deck. Inside the arm rest is the best place because of the cla inside there.
I'll post pic soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts