Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall, I'd have to say this is a very nice and solidly built car, especially considering the price. I do have a few observations though:

The gearing seems a bit short, cruising silently at 75-80 on the freeway would require a sixth gear.

On occasion the outer glass cover of the moonroof stays raised even after internally the moonroof appears closed. This results in whistling at higher speeds. Opening and closing the roof again seems to close it properly.

Did I miss something? but is there no pause or stop button for the CD player?

The somewhat high-pitched whine of the engine isn't too appealing, although this will probably change when I install a high flow filter and do the cold intake mod.

The wheel gap in the fender wells as noted by others makes the wheels seem small and out of place. I'll be remedying this with TRD lowering springs; also a rear sway bar for a slightly loose rear in cornering.

I did my first oil change at 207 miles. The oil pan and filter are in an easy to reach spot and you don't need to raise the car. I was surprised at how dirty the oil was for only 207 miles. There were tiny specks of suspended metal in the oil itself and larger pieces at the bottom of the pan. Looking inside the filter, there were many small flakes of aluminum. I'll change the oil again after 600 miles, then 1500 miles then go on the regular schedule. This is overkill for the average driver, but I put in over 50,000 miles per year, so I'm aiming for this car to last 300,000 miles.

Break-in: For the first 200 miles I've been braking softly to let the pads wear in, cornering gently, and shifting at around 3000 rpm. The next 300 miles I'll shift at around 3500 rpm, then occasionally at 4000 rpm, and at the end of the break-in period at around 1000 miles, I'll push the engine hard and redline the rpms a few times.

Imminent mods/upgrades:
TRD springs
Rear sway bar
Infinity Basslink (Thanks to Sciontist for the tips)
Polk component speakers front
Pioneer 2-ways in the back
4 channel Amp under the passenger seat
Cold air intake mod behind the "fog light" hole & high flow filter
Viper car alarm
Wheel locks
Front end car mask
Cargo Net
Floor Mats

I'm so glad I discovered the TC before I bought a Civic Si. I was all set with the lowest quote from a dealer, had the financing ready, and then heard about the TC. Wow, I would've been hitting my head against a wall for the next few months had I bought the Civic.

My wait time was 5 weeks, well worth the wait. I can't help but start smiling every time I walk out to the parking lot.

By the way, Great forum!

·
Registered
228 Posts
welcome...

do you drive for work that much? or does your work commute take 150 miles? it's an hour each direction, without traffic... what's the deal?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I don't have a regular commute, but I do have to take regular 1000+ mile trips. And I don't use the airlines.

Tcrazy, nope didn't take the oil pan off!? You know when you change the oil, you need a pan to catch all the oil that drips out of the engine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't quite call it shavings. The tiny particles in the oil itself were only visible in strong sunlight, they sparkled like metallic paint. There were some larger specks settled at the bottom of the pan. The largest pieces were "stuck" inside the filter. I should have taken some pictures, but I tossed the filter and anyway, it'd probably be hard to see in a pic. It wouldn't surprise me though if there were some large shavings inside the filter. I thought about it, but I didn't quite feel like sawing it open and dissecting it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One other thing, I forgot to add. I'm still on my first tank of gas, and at the moment the gas mileage sucks. I would estimate it to be around 20 mpg with 100% stop and go city driving.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Halscion, my driving has been just about 100% city since I got my tC, and I get around 21-22 MPG.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Originally posted by Halscion@Oct 10 2004, 06:47 PM
I don't have a regular commute, but I do have to take regular 1000+ mile trips.
you lucky bastard
(no offence)

having fun just cruisin' down the road (i take company pays the gas &motels etc) in a tc and getting paid for it...

good for you, bro

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hehe,
I'm self employed so I guess I am the company. But the tax writeoffs for the miles/gas/lodging/food are great. Since 90% of the miles are business related, I can probably deduct a big chunk of my monthly payments and insurance... I'll have to ask an accountant about that.
Ahh, but no freeway miles for the TC until its broken in after 1000 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the flakes are just groupings of loose atoms off the metal. When I got a greddy cat-back for my accord, in the beginning i could see shiny particles coming out with the exhaust, especially when shining headlights behind it. just somthing that happens when using new metal in hot conditions

·
Registered
117 Posts
Interesting about the particles, I think I'll change my oil sooner too.

Question for anyone.

Should I get the auto or manual TC? Is there any performance difference between
the two? I test drove the manual and it felt real nice.
Does it limit my upgrade potential? I live in LA so theres always traffic, but
I dont want to have a slow automatic car.I also don't want to have to ride the clutch when its
bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I thought I was the only freak who changed oil at 200 miles

Welcome to the forum, btw!

And sitdowncomic - you are the only person who can answer your question. Personally - eating in the car is not what you should be doing anyway, and cellphone - use the headset - be it auto or 5-speed, headset makes a lot of sense. So with these points taken cared of - if you have a strong left leg - go for a 5-speed. With tC's gear ratios it's got some major ballz.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
^^ I second that, I test drove the auto and bought a 5spd, and for me it was worth building my calf muscles on the 5spd. I'd recommend the manual, it definitely feels quicker than the auto. And yes, the car's got major balls.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
zoltiz thanks for the welcome,... I bought 3 more TRD filters from toyogobo (ebay) $8.99 including shipping.

Go for the 5sp! I haven't driven a manual since my 94 Ford Probe, so the constant shifting is making the bottom of my left foot sore. Plantar Shiftitis.

UPS is intransit with my TRD rear sway bar! Also a high flow TRD air filter! New toys, feels like X-mas already.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
[offtopic]
I want a quickshifter, but I'm too greedy

[/offtopic]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts