Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure lo bux will have some input on this. I have been reading through the tire rim section for a few days now and i have gathered a ton of info. I want a wider tire than stock for performance gains but maintaining a cheap enough tire that i can realistically afford to replace. I am also wanting to keep the total weight close to stock and the overall tire diameter also close to stock.

I cant seem to find a light weight wheel in a 17x8 or 18x8 that i can afford and that is aesthetically pleasing to me. So, I am looking 17x7.5 or 18x7.5 rota subzeros.

Here is the dilemma. I know i cant fit a 245 on a 7.5" wheel according to tirerack and lo bux a 225 just doesn't seem like that much of an improvement over stock. So i was looking @ 235s.

What i am not understanding is why a 235/45 will cause the overall diameter to be larger than stock and will fit a 7.5" rim

BUT

a 235/40 will keep the overall diameter around stock and even a little shorter but will not fit a 7.5" rim. Once again this is all according to TireRack. Any help on this.

Stock:
215/45 17 Rim 7" overall Diam: 24.8"
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
235/45 17 Rim 7.5-9" (Meas Rim 8') overall Diam: 25.3
235/40 17 Rim 8-9.5" (Meas Rim 8.5") Overall Diam: 24.4

Help? I don't get it. I really want to upgrade my wheels and tires but if i can only go to a 225 i just don't see that it is worth it for the price. I know that the factory tires suck and any upgrade in rubber will be worth it but i really want new wheels. Ideally 18x7.5 but from what i have been reading, that is going to slow me down a bit. Even though the 18" subzeros are 3 pounds lighter the tires will weigh to much and if i cant get over this tire width thing and have to stay at 225 the 18's will be hurting me even more. Now if a 225 will be worth it than 18's here i come. I am worried that any performance mods done to the car will be negated by my wheels.

Sorry for the long rant and thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...so i take that any cornering advantages of 225's wouldn't even be worth bothering?

its just that i REALLY do like the royal gunmetal Subzeros. they are light and inexpensive.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the subzeros i am looking at are 5x100 +45. why would they not fit? i am am not following what you are talking about with the hubcentric rings.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info guys. i still would like to know what nethack4ever is refering to about the hubcentric rings? if i do go with the Rotas why will i need them?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.