Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure lo bux will have some input on this. I have been reading through the tire rim section for a few days now and i have gathered a ton of info. I want a wider tire than stock for performance gains but maintaining a cheap enough tire that i can realistically afford to replace. I am also wanting to keep the total weight close to stock and the overall tire diameter also close to stock.

I cant seem to find a light weight wheel in a 17x8 or 18x8 that i can afford and that is aesthetically pleasing to me. So, I am looking 17x7.5 or 18x7.5 rota subzeros.

Here is the dilemma. I know i cant fit a 245 on a 7.5" wheel according to tirerack and lo bux a 225 just doesn't seem like that much of an improvement over stock. So i was looking @ 235s.

What i am not understanding is why a 235/45 will cause the overall diameter to be larger than stock and will fit a 7.5" rim

BUT

a 235/40 will keep the overall diameter around stock and even a little shorter but will not fit a 7.5" rim. Once again this is all according to TireRack. Any help on this.

Stock:
215/45 17 Rim 7" overall Diam: 24.8"
Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
235/45 17 Rim 7.5-9" (Meas Rim 8') overall Diam: 25.3
235/40 17 Rim 8-9.5" (Meas Rim 8.5") Overall Diam: 24.4

Help? I don't get it. I really want to upgrade my wheels and tires but if i can only go to a 225 i just don't see that it is worth it for the price. I know that the factory tires suck and any upgrade in rubber will be worth it but i really want new wheels. Ideally 18x7.5 but from what i have been reading, that is going to slow me down a bit. Even though the 18" subzeros are 3 pounds lighter the tires will weigh to much and if i cant get over this tire width thing and have to stay at 225 the 18's will be hurting me even more. Now if a 225 will be worth it than 18's here i come. I am worried that any performance mods done to the car will be negated by my wheels.

Sorry for the long rant and thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I'd keep looking for something aesthetically pleasing / affordable / light. 235 is too weird of a size to try to fit on our cars. 245 on the other hand almost ideally fits in 245/40/17 - changing the overall diameter by less than 1/2%. Lightest 17x8s in managable offset are 5zigen FN01Rc, but I did not like the looks. MB Weapon that I have is also 17x8, 46 offset, and 245s sit on them pretty nicely. Weight is not too bad either - I'd say around 18lbs/piece.

Don't give up

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...so i take that any cornering advantages of 225's wouldn't even be worth bothering?

its just that i REALLY do like the royal gunmetal Subzeros. they are light and inexpensive.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by C!ph3r@Oct 31 2005, 03:12 PM
...so i take that any cornering advantages of 225's wouldn't even be worth bothering?

its just that i REALLY do like the royal gunmetal Subzeros. they are light and inexpensive.

Thanks guys.
Good luck finding hubcentric rings that will fit the tC (inner diameter of 54.1mm) and the Subzeros (outer diameter of 56.1mm, made for Hondas and Subarus from what I understand). I don't think they make rings that thin. Maybe 2mm doesn't matter, I don't know.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the subzeros i am looking at are 5x100 +45. why would they not fit? i am am not following what you are talking about with the hubcentric rings.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been looking at the 5Zigen Wheels myself, the FN01R-Cs specifically. I was the one that brought those up on this board here recently. I will probably end up getting those this spring if not sooner. Great wheels for the price/looks/performance. Yes, the wheel/tire shopping experience can be very hard! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If the budget allows, look at the Enkei RPF01 - 17x8, 45 offset, 15.6lbs. Good luck finding them in stock anywhere, though.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info guys. i still would like to know what nethack4ever is refering to about the hubcentric rings? if i do go with the Rotas why will i need them?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by C!ph3r@Nov 1 2005, 11:54 PM
i still would like to know what nethack4ever is refering to about the hubcentric rings? if i do go with the Rotas why will i need them?
I think most of the aftermarket wheels require hubcentric rings. I've bought 4 sets of aftermarket wheels in the last 2 years - all came with hubcentric rings.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The retailer should include the rings that fit the tC with your wheels, at least all good retailers do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.