Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

i'm about to purchase a 2005 Scion tC.. i've noticed that the tC has an alarm system as an option for approx... $450.00... is it worth it?..

second question is:

what are the "must-have" option??? i'm trying to keep the price low and affordable, and stay away from useless options that the dealers offer...

thank you all tC owners!!!

Armyguy

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
You'll hear arguments both ways on the Scion security. Some people swear by aftermarket alarms that offer a lot more features. Others like the fact that its an option that won't screw with your factory wiring like an aftermarket one would.

Regarding options, visit trdsparks.com. Much better than going through the dealership.

Good luck with your purchase!

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Read through the Audio/Video/Security section for info on the Scion Alarm system and then just read the rest of the ste fr our thoughts on the other options.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
if it will buy you piece of mind.. then yes.. if u think its still going to get stolen even with an alarm... then why spend $450?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I have one. There is no immediately discernable difference. However, I got a better discount with USAA for it, so it pays for itself in the long run, and I like the OEM plug n' play warranty included without hacking the harness feature.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Mar 29 2005, 10:53 AM
I have one. There is no immediately discernable difference. However, I got a better discount with USAA for it, so it pays for itself in the long run, and I like the OEM plug n' play warranty included without hacking the harness feature.
USAA? i'm a member, but i don't remember any special alarm..

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
They ask you about security systems. Bottom end is VIN on all glass, tell them the car has immobiliser technology and you get a better discount. Tell them you have an upgraded factory alarm, and you get a different discount. If you don't tell them, no discount.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Mar 29 2005, 02:07 PM
They ask you about security systems. Bottom end is VIN on all glass, tell them the car has immobiliser technology and you get a better discount. Tell them you have an upgraded factory alarm, and you get a different discount. If you don't tell them, no discount.
i know about the vin etching discount (they said i'll save about $1 a month), and the factory alarm will save me about another $1, unless i get a low-jack.. low jack will get me more discont, but it probably costs a lot...
but what is this "immobilizer" alarm?... so are you saying, buy the factory $450 alarm?

i'm thinking of the factory alarm, because i don't have to pay the lump sum... unless viper alarm also have a monthly payment plan.... i really cant afford a $515 dollar lump...

thanks anyway

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Or, you could get Viper without remote start (which some mechanics and alarm installers have told me may damage the car anyway) for $250 installed or thereabouts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Wolo@Mar 30 2005, 11:43 AM
I hope they're right.

And I should tell my insurance company that.

I wonder if my bill goes down now that I'm 30...
oh... if you're married, there's a married discount too... also, another $1 discount a month (if you add them up... pretty good discount) for side air bags/curtains... etc...

Oh.. for vin etching, i heard it only costs $20 to buy it online, instead of paying $100-300 at the dealer for a $15 dollar job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.