Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the TRD Short Shifter the only one you can go with that will still keep the warranty? And another question. If I was to get the B&M shifter, will my dealer even install it for me, seeing as how it's not made by Toyota? I'm trying to get all of the details hammered out before spring when I do all of my upgrades.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Yes, the short shifter from trd is the only one that will allow you to keep your "warranty". And honestly, your better off going somewhere else to get it installed if you go with the B&M, or even better DIY. If you decide not to go with trd, if you have to take it to the dealer just unistall it, and depending on the dealer they won't even care becuase it really can't screw anything up. Im getting the twm stage 2 short shifter and installing it the following weeknd.

·
Registered
847 Posts
yea, a short shifter will probably not void the warranty on anything... voiding the warranty is mainly meant for big mods like port & polish, new pistons, cams, cam gears, valves, valve springs, valve retainers, piston rods, crankshaft, some pulleys, headers (BIG if), intake (also a BIG if)...

but a short shifter is probably not going to be blamed if everything else is stock and you blow your motor or snap a half-shaft...

·
LED Maniac
2,967 Posts
i agree... short shifters have nothing to do with warrenty.... and just install it yourself.... take a couple of tools and elbow grease...

i finished my TWM install in about 20 minutes including taking the interior apart and putting it back together. you'll probably wait much longer having some place do it for you... and you won't get the satisfaction you did it yourself too.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Your warranty is only voided if the dealership determines that your installation is the reason for whatever problem you're having.

For example, you install a short throw, but forget to bolt it in properly. As you're screaming around town showing it off, the whole assembly comes out and you smash into a brick wall. The dealership will not take responsibilty for the issue you are now having.

·
Registered
847 Posts
but honestly, how often will that happen? especially in such a freak-accident type scenario... one would definately notice something awry before that situation would present itself...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Some dude on Scionlife has a 14-page long thread about having to get a new engine (at his expense) because the dealer found metal flakes that got sucked in through (or maybe even from) his Weapon-R short ram. Guy's looking at $3K out of pocket and no more drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know so little about the mechanics behind how a car works, I wouldn't want to risk it. I have friends that might be able to help me with installs like this, but I'd feel better at night if I just took it to my dealer and have them install it. I'm thinking of keeping the exhaust/shifter/clutch/sc all TRD, just to keep my warranty in-tact.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Dec 12 2005, 01:27 PM
Some dude on Scionlife has a 14-page long thread about having to get a new engine (at his expense) because the dealer found metal flakes that got sucked in through (or maybe even from) his Weapon-R short ram. Guy's looking at $3K out of pocket and no more drivetrain warranty.
thats his fault for buying a weapon r... i dont trust anything from them after seeing their "engine damper"....

youve got to know whats a good product from other people's experiences with certain brands & products...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by josurr+Dec 12 2005, 07:02 PM-->QUOTE (josurr @ Dec 12 2005, 07:02 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz
@Dec 12 2005, 01:27 PM
thats his fault for buying a weapon r... i dont trust anything from them after seeing their "engine damper"....

youve got to know whats a good product from other people's experiences with certain brands & products... [/b]
I was saying that they are shady ever since they posted the first dyno of their short ram a year and a half ago. 13whp gain. Sure.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Talked to my dealer today. He answered "No!" in a surprised manner when I asked him if it'll void my warranty at all. So I'm guessing it's cool...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah, but what made me suspicious was that there were two black clips holding down the pivot ring, and I wanted to make sure that by removing these, I didn't void some dealership warranty.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by Pharoh@Dec 12 2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah, but what made me suspicious was that there were two black clips holding down the pivot ring, and I wanted to make sure that by removing these, I didn't void some dealership warranty.
Put these clips back after you install the short shifter.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by Pharoh@Dec 13 2005, 12:46 AM
Why?
Because there is a reason why Toyco redesigned the shifter assembly and added the clips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your all scareing me! I have about 380miles on my 06 and only mod other then a new audio system is the twm short shifter and toyota has had my car now for 2 days and they dont know why the CEL is on. It came on after the audio install but they said it has nothing to do with that and I decided to keep quiet about the shifter.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz+Dec 13 2005, 06:50 AM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ Dec 13 2005, 06:50 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Pharoh
@Dec 13 2005, 12:46 AM
Why?
Because there is a reason why Toyco redesigned the shifter assembly and added the clips. [/b]
But they're holding down the ring, which I know for a fact is very secure. (It took me forever to get it off), and so many tC's seem to be doing fine without them...

(Not trying to argue, but they'd be a pain in the ass to get back on)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by j2m2l3@Dec 13 2005, 04:44 PM
Your all scareing me! I have about 380miles on my 06 and only mod other then a new audio system is the twm short shifter and toyota has had my car now for 2 days and they dont know why the CEL is on. It came on after the audio install but they said it has nothing to do with that and I decided to keep quiet about the shifter.
You will be fine! How can installing a short shifter throw a CEL?? The cel is coming from the engine hence "Check Engine Light!" You'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.