Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if TRD is gonna have a short throw shifter for the tC? Also has anyone chopped their shifter down so it's shorter on top?

·
Registered
936 Posts
if you chop the stock shifter you will have to somehow re-thread the post......thats a pain in the ass!!!! The short throw shifter should be out within a couple months from TRD and other manufacturers. -T

·
Registered
425 Posts
If the stock shifter is a two-piece, you can remove the outer stick and cut the inner stick, then re-assemble it. A lot of members in the Supra community did that as a cheap short-shift mod. Problem with that is that you lose some of the dampening provided by that inner stick, so it can get a little noisy shifting or you may notice some more vibrations in the shifter.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm happy with the stock gear box! I mean, short throw shifters usually only come into play when you're doing competitive racing where 10ths of a second decide whether you more on in your bracket or go home. I just don't see that its worth it. I think the stock gear box is tight and short. Compaired to my talon which seemed like you had to move you whole body and adjust your seat just to move from 1st to second. Just my opinion..

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
this is becoming a pattern, my agreeing with you. for sure this is a short enough gearbox for how most people are going to be driving their car.
when i get everything else done performance-wise, and start racing it, then it will be a purchase, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
well its true that short throw shifters are meant for racing some people
(i.e. me
) prefer the notchy and more precise throws of a short throw shifter. I personally like the stock gear box but i believe short throw shifters to be better of in terms of precise throws and just fun more racer inspired driving and when one comes out from either TRD or any other manufacturer i will add one in to my tC.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta say.....I just got my tC today and I do like the shifter. I would buy a short shifter just because thats a personal preference really.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Oh, believe me, everyone has their preferences, and I'm not saying that is a bad investment. I'm just saying for the average person doing average daily driving, a short shifter is not something you can't get by without.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by SilverX@Aug 21 2004, 09:54 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to learn how to drive a stick with a short shifter?
Not really. I suppose you could argue that it would be, but 9 times out of 10, its not the right hand (shifting part) thats the problem with learning stick. Its the left foot and the timing between clutch and gas rather than shifting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts