Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's been a lot of discussion about the merits of the various short shifters on these boards, but I'm considering purchasing one and I'd like some advice: I really want to reduce shift throw, but I don't want to reduce height (I'm not really sure I understand the advantages of reducing the height of the shifter). I understand that the TRD quickshifter does not reduce height. Can anyone recommend any other shifters that maintain stock height? I'll be installing this myself--I also understand that the TRD is considered particularly easy to install, but I'm sure I could manage one that didn't include a new cage (the TRD shifter does seem a bit pricey).

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
AFAIK, the TRD is the only one that maintains the height. Shortening is a cosmetic thing. It does nothing to aid shifting, or to enhance driver control.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
What about me?

I can do 40-45% throw reduction, 0 height reduction, solid bushings all around, matching shift knob and collar, and all pre-installed in a cage ready to install, for less than the cost of a TRD Quickshifter.

Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Doctor isotope sells custom hand made short shifters at any specs you like. Fully customizable. PM Dr.Isotope. or visit http://www.doctorisotope.com Plus he's got a good rep. Numerous people on this forum and scionlife have his shifters, including me. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
You son of a bitch, you beat me! Oh wait..that's him. Doc meet mji, mji, meet doc.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,060 Posts
x3 on docs stuff.

Reducing throw without height is done by raising the cage and moving the pivot ball only. Reducing height also involves cutting the shifter.

Doc can do either, and can beat the prices of the others out there.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
And the quality! I've had two TWM's break!

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
DOC ISO FTW!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Note where racecars have their shifters.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's pretty high, I know you've mentioned that it's to minimize the amount of travel the driver's hand has to do to shift - quick shifting. However, judging from the picture, it seems higher than wher your right hand would at the 10 and 2 position. Is this because on an oval track, during a turn the driver's hand would be farther than 2 o'clock?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am intrigued by this product, Dr. Isotope. My only concern is whether a 40% reduction would be too much for me. The only manual car I've driven is my stock tC, so I'm not really sure how it will feel. I'd imagine that you'd need to use more force to get it into gear with such a reduction. Can anyone comment on this?

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
it feels like sex....lol

very smooth, almost no throw between gears under normal acceleration, and it gives you that very quick, porsche like throw between gears under WOT....if is the best short shifter you could buy, and the price is unbeatable....I got one, drove my friend around for 5 minutes and then he drove up with me to Doc's house to get one for himself.

That's how good it is, the man wanted one before he even got to use one himself...

Once he got it installed, he went out to "try it out real fast", and didn't come back for like half an hour....

do it, your soul will thank you....

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
docs lazi boi nascar approved shifter ftw! it is hella comfy. and the shifting isnt much harder or easier after about 3 weeks. you will not regret this mod.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
^^^^ you don't regret any Doc Iso mod....

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
sometimes i regret the mods his kids leave on my body(im fragile). thats about it. doc iso genes in the flesh!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
QUOTE (boricua82 @ Apr 23 2007, 05:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=303044
That's pretty high, I know you've mentioned that it's to minimize the amount of travel the driver's hand has to do to shift - quick shifting. However, judging from the picture, it seems higher than wher your right hand would at the 10 and 2 position. Is this because on an oval track, during a turn the driver's hand would be farther than 2 o'clock?[/b]
Oval track? What are you talking about? That shifter is in this car:

You couldn't get farther from oval track racing and still be on pavement.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Apr 24 2007, 03:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=303116
QUOTE (boricua82 @ Apr 23 2007, 05:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=303044
That's pretty high, I know you've mentioned that it's to minimize the amount of travel the driver's hand has to do to shift - quick shifting. However, judging from the picture, it seems higher than wher your right hand would at the 10 and 2 position. Is this because on an oval track, during a turn the driver's hand would be farther than 2 o'clock?[/b]
Oval track? What are you talking about? That shifter is in this car:

You couldn't get farther from oval track racing and still be on pavement.
[/b][/quote]

Looks like a Supra to me

1 - 20 of 24 Posts