Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if its me or the tC. I have noticed that when i upshift, the car slightly revs up a bit before i let the clutch out. It sounds like i still have my foot on the gas but it isnt.
anyone else experincing this? i asked my bf about this as he drove the car and he noticed it too. He said it just that the clutch needs breaking in....?? If you ride the clutch or keep the foot on the gas as you change gears it could ruin the clutch.

There was a post awhile back about tC's not having throttle cable so could it be the sensor still sense that i still have the accelerator down but it really isnt....could this be the reason??

Liz

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Yeah its taking alot of getting used to, the manual. it sure as hell isnt anything like a jeep./\/\/\/\/\/\/ I think the engine electroincly revs, ive seen it do it be4....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do i keep it from rev'ing up everytime? it seems to do that from first to second and second to third. doesnt do it as much from third to fourth etc ...
am i shifting it at the wrong rpm's??

i usually upshift at 3 or 3half rpm

liz

·
Registered
118 Posts
What RPM are you shifting at, and between which gears, at what speed?

The only explanation I can guess at now is that you might not be matching the RPMs between the engine and your transmission as you shift (like, if you shift early, or if you take a long time to shift).. if you let the engine's RPMs drop enough and you reach the friction point with the clutch as you finish your upshift, the engine is forced to rev higher just because the wheels are moving faster than the engine. Your car will slow down in this case, and maybe lean forward a little..

When shifting, it's actually a good idea to use your foot on the gas to help match your RPMs.. it will make for a smoother shift and will prob help your clutch last longer if you're doing it right! -- it might just take some time to get used to the car...

Hope this helps!

-K

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do want my clutch to last longer, just dont know what i am doing wrong?? i am used to driving for a long period before upshifting. this car is very very short shifting compared to what i am used to.

What speed and rpm should i be shifting gears...i am still trying to figure out the match by varying in my driving habits but just havent clicked yet. but yet at the same time i dont want to shorten the life of my tc doing this!!!

liz

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Theres nothing you can you liz, its all controlled by the computer. maybe a program uploaded but the car is way too new.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i dont think i've noticed this... but i practice heel-to-toe shifting/braking for downshifts and just drive regularly when i "upshift."

i change gears around +/- 3k rpm and always try to rev match.

it's all about the timing, i think if you just drive it around and try out different ways of driving and shifting you'll get it

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
liz - my car did that too when I first got it. I haven't noticed it in a while...maybe I just got used to it.

That was one of the first things I noticed though...I would let my foot off teh gas at 3k rpm and push in the clutch and the RPM's would go up to 3,100 before dropping. It's probably lag in the sensor. The lag is giving me fits downshifting....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Zygote55@Aug 13 2004, 07:03 PM
liz - my car did that too when I first got it. I haven't noticed it in a while...maybe I just got used to it.

That was one of the first things I noticed though...I would let my foot off teh gas at 3k rpm and push in the clutch and the RPM's would go up to 3,100 before dropping. It's probably lag in the sensor. The lag is giving me fits downshifting....
so this lag in the sensor is something normal with the car??

if so, then i'll just ignore it just hope i dont ruin the tranny or the clutch.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hmmm..I've never heard about using the gas to match RPMs for upshifting...

Is that something for "normal" driving or better fit for "racing?"

And yeah, I've noticed its a bit hard to get use to shifting....I'm not nearly as smooth on this car as I was on my old one but I figure, all in good time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Shift when it gets into the red and shift fast....
just kidding. I have been driving stick for 12 years and this is the first car i have had do this on. My has around 3300 miles on it now and it still does it. Its almost like i push the clutch in sooner than the car wants me to. Like i am shifint to fast. I think its because of the throttle by wire that the throttle plate doesnt actuall close all the way before we oush the clutch in to it goes from havving pressure form the clutch no none so it revs up. I have just gotten used to it. Any way just my .02

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by C!ph3r@Aug 14 2004, 12:12 PM
Shift when it gets into the red and shift fast....
just kidding. I have been driving stick for 12 years and this is the first car i have had do this on. My has around 3300 miles on it now and it still does it. Its almost like i push the clutch in sooner than the car wants me to. Like i am shifint to fast. I think its because of the throttle by wire that the throttle plate doesnt actuall close all the way before we oush the clutch in to it goes from havving pressure form the clutch no none so it revs up. I have just gotten used to it. Any way just my .02
That's EXACTLY it. Kind of annoying...

·
Registered
619 Posts
wow. i just re-read my psot and its hardly legibal. oh well i see Zygote55 got my point

·
Registered
167 Posts
to be able to control a manual tc especially the clutch, you must apply everything that you've learned from practicing yoga... from balance to muscle control to calmness of mind.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! I am glad i am not the only one who is experiencing this, whew i am not killing my car!

my brother said his integra does that too so i guess this happens in some cars and not in others.

Its getting a bit annoying but i will live with it bc i LOVE my tc! just like all you guys and gals out there, there's always somthing annoying with someone or something you love!
some mothers might push our buttons, kids might tick us off, guys just are just guys, women, well you know women!
but we all still love em right?
Gonna give my tC a bath today and she will be puurty for the coming week!

Liz

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
bizzyliz, you'll get used to it. I'm just getting used to pressing the gas a quarter of a second before I start letting out the clutch. Most of the time I don't even think about it anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
just my rare .02, my dads 03 6sp tiburon had that same problem, it turned out that there was a recall on the computer that caused the engin to surge when shifting or something like that. not a huge deal. my dad got used to it untill i told him that there was a TSB out for it.

edit. ok im slow i just noticed the posting dates. my bad.
working at a job sitting on a computer all night realy does rot your brain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has changed their transmission fluid to a synthetic like royal purple or redline to help it last longer? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've started to notice the same thing, when I push in the clutch, and let off the gas, the car rev's up slightly, even when i delay pushing the clutch in for up to a second or two after I've let off the gas. ?? Normal? *shrugs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts