Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(also posted in transmissions)

Can anyone offer a solution for this? I like this knob, but I don't want to buy a short shifter. Any ideas? I was thinking about cutting the stock shifter, but I don't know how to rethread it...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Find the thread pattern, hacksaw off the rod and you can use a die to recut the threads on the rod.

Edit: Also please only post in one place, if it is in the wrong place the admins will move it for you.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Or buy any short shifter - if you are not into tap and die sets...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Shifter thread is 12x1.5, same as the lugnut thread. Get yerself a die, some cutting fluid, and a lot of shop towels, because it will be something of a fear-inducing project of cutting threads while the shifter is still mounted-- there is a mess issue.

Oh, be sure to run the threads before you cut the length.

I'd personally try driving with it at that height, just to feel the Nissan-truckness that shifter throw must have. 1st gear... shifting... shifting... shifting... 2nd gear.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
thats funny cause i was just looking at that knob about 2 hours ago debating on it..haha

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about the double post, I just wasn't sure in which forum it was supposed to go...I guess that's why we have mods, right? hehe

How do you think the shifter looks in its current state?

BTW, what do I need to buy for a tap and die thingy? I don't really plan on using it again, so I'm looking to buy the minimum... I don't anything about tap and dies, so any help would be appreciated. I ask b/c I'm browsing online and I see a plethora of choices...

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
its about as high as my obx shift knob..tall as hell.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by lyrictenor1@Oct 31 2005, 08:16 PM
BTW, what do I need to buy for a tap and die thingy? I don't really plan on using it again, so I'm looking to buy the minimum... I don't anything about tap and dies, so any help would be appreciated. I ask b/c I'm browsing online and I see a plethora of choices...
All you need is a single 12mm x 1.5 pitch die. You can get a die handle to make things easier, but you can run the die just as well with a simple Crescent wrench. All you need is the die ($7-8), some cutting fluid (about $3 a bottle), and a hacksaw to cut the shifter to length once you're done.

I would recommend getting as least a Craftsman die-- the shifter is steel, and you'll be setting yourself up for extra work with a cheapy die.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys...I think I'll be taking this route...

·
Registered
542 Posts
i have kind of a related problem. i installed my twm shifter with twm knob and it looks like this:
i've got the boot part long enough to reach all the way up to the knob, but what's supposed to hold it up there? the twm knob has their new height adj. technology in it and i don't have it as low as it goes (i like it where it is) can somebody tell me what holds the boot up?

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
The plastic clip you see at the end. Its like a ring . un clip it and see if the boot can extend

·
Registered
83 Posts
COOL! After reading this post today at work, I went to the hardware store, bought a 12 x 1.5 die, went home, threaded the shifter, and chopped 1.5" off.

The whole process took me 16 minutes.

The leather boot did cause an unexpected modification.

To answer your question gotTC... there is a nylon clip underneath the silver ring that you are sliding (it's inside the boot you cannot see it) The shifter rod becomes a larger diameter just below the top of the boot (in the stock position) and the nylon clip rests on the lip created by the larger diameter part of the rod.

In my case I had to remove the nylon clip, and slightly bore out the silver plastic ring so it would slide over the larger diameter part. I also took off the circular spring clip that holds the leather to the plastic ring, took up about 1.5" of slack in the leather, and reinstalled the circular spring clip. This whole process required me to take out the top part of the center console to acess these parts.

In your case gotTC, you will have to rig up something for the nylon clip to rest on, higher up on the shifter rod. I'm at a loss for ideas on that...

Sweet... a short(er) throw for $9. Can't beat that!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
wait you made it shorter? how does making the boot look shorter shorten your throw? confused?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by FiremanNick@Nov 1 2005, 11:36 PM
COOL! After reading this post today at work, I went to the hardware store, bought a 12 x 1.5 die, went home, threaded the shifter, and chopped 1.5" off.
Yup you read (or didn't read) right....

chopped 1.5" off is refering to the shifter rod.

If I had just made the boot shorter I probably wouldn't have needed to cut 12 x 1.5 threads in it....

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
the throw is shorter..but is your throw reduced? you know like how short shifters reduce it by 20-30% etc.. yeah i read it just wasnt sure what u meant.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What kinda knob is that? It looks hot.
When do we get to see pics of the new short shifter? Anyone can answer this but isn't this the same thing the short shifters do? Other then the TRD, the rest of them I beleive are the same as stock only with a shorter shaft.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To which knob are you referring? The one in the first post of this thread or the one towards the bottom of the first page?

The one I posted is this one:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/RAZRA98

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.