Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I wanted to get a new shift knob.

I really like this one:

However, since I'm a shorty and can't reach the shift knob at that angle, although this would be comfy for me, if it was closer, it'd be weird since I'm far.

So I was thinking of going with something like this:

Because you dont' necessarily have to grip it a certain way.

The question is (and not necessarily regarding these exact two), 1. what do you think just looks better, and 2. how does the ball one, look with the boot part. The only car I've seen with this type, had just a straight piece under it cuz it was an auto, so no boot.

Your thoughts? Go for what is comfy, but not really my style, or go with what I like, but it won't feel right?

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get the metal one... It looks nice, but unless you have driving gloves it will be a pain (real, actual pain).

I like leather TRD knob. Simple, looks decent, and very comfy.

Kinda like that:

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The metal knobs will get hot in the summer. But not unbearably so. Oh, and

mmmmmmm, MOMO Race Airleather...
Ball-shape knobs are most comfortable to me. If the price on the MOMO scares you, you can get any of the knock-off polyethylene/delrin ball-shape for about $30 on eBay-- and those never get hot.

I have a TWM weighted knob. The ergonomics are not perfect for my huge hands, but the weighted knob is a perfect match to the short shifter.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have the mesh one, so it's not that bad, because the mesh part doesn't retain heat. So I just have to be careful when I'm driving and it's hot. With a solid aluminum ball, that would burn your hand really bad. I can see it now, "OMOM" burned into your palm.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I used the OBX wire mesh one and just love it!

Yes, it gets quite *warm* in the summer.

Yes, it gets quite *cool* in the winter.

But hey, didn't your Pappy tell you what doesn't kill you make you stronger?

I still have the OEM shifter, but really enjoy the weight of the OBX and the way it shifts. If I had an auto, I would have never bought another shifter because I would not touch it enough to warrant it. But the OEM shifter is lame on a manual IMO. I also don't care for the looks of the TRD or the other stitched one. If you are going to spend the bucks, get something different.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought a MOMO knob a while back and I ended up returning it. One reason was I didn't like the way it looked with the stock boot. You'll notice the chrome colored trim piece between the boot and the shift knob on the tC. The shift knob sits right down on top of it. The MOMO is tapered and IMO looks funny. There were some other things I didn't like about it too, so I didn't spend much time working on making it look better. I think you can buy a boot that matches up with the MOMO knobs better. Maybe someone else around here has come up with a better solution.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought a leather TRD shift knob & hated it. It's gathering dust in a drawer. I bought a OBX speedstar shift knob from Ken at Sparks.... I love it, and it draws remarks and at 43.00 including shipping was priced right.

Bottom line it's personal preference try to look at styles that suit you.

K.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@May 11 2005, 06:20 PM
I have a TWM weighted knob. The ergonomics are not perfect for my huge hands, but the weighted knob is a perfect match to the short shifter.
uh-oh, didn't even think about weight. How does weight play a factor? I guess, I've never changed my shift knob before, I always liked what I had. Most of them were shaped more. But obviously, this one isn't.

Hmmm...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Azrael@May 11 2005, 06:21 PM
With a solid aluminum ball, that would burn your hand really bad. I can see it now, "OMOM" burned into your palm.
oh that's too funny. Okay, not if you really did have a burn on your hand, but the thought of it...hilarious.

that's one reason I don't want the ball one, most are metal of some sort that looks like it can burn.

as for weight, how will it affect the shifting? just curious.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, if you have a circle knob, can someone post a picture of what it looks like (on a manual). I'm thinking, if it's a Momo, like someone said, and it sits on the top of the stock boot, that'd just be strange.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by k9kreationz@May 12 2005, 08:42 AM
as for weight, how will it affect the shifting? just curious.
Short throw shifter + weighted knob =

When you shorten the throw, you increase the effort. The weighted knob helps reduce that effort back to a "normal" level. Mine feels like stock, IMO.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts

Here's one more round knob - this time TRD. Goes for about $25 on partznet.com

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@May 12 2005, 09:49 AM
Well, I don't have a short throw, so I guess a weighted knob wouldn't matter? lol. I have no clue. Okay, in this sense, I'm your "typical girl". I just love to drive, I could careless how thigns work. That's what my male mechanic friends are for. hehehe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@May 12 2005, 09:57 AM

Here's one more round knob - this time TRD. Goes for about $25 on partznet.com
Although I love the TRD on the top of the knob, it's ugly. lol.

How do you think carbon-fiber would fell? like this one?

(btw, Momo is not my only option, but it's what I saw/knew, so I"m just looking there for now).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by k9kreationz+May 12 2005, 10:09 AM-->QUOTE (k9kreationz @ May 12 2005, 10:09 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Dr. Isotope
@May 12 2005, 09:49 AM
Well, I don't have a short throw, so I guess a weighted knob wouldn't matter? lol. I have no clue. Okay, in this sense, I'm your "typical girl". I just love to drive, I could careless how thigns work. That's what my male mechanic friends are for. hehehe. [/b]
I have the OEM shifter and the weighted ball makes for an easier throw. Basically, it is how it fits in your hand that makes the diff. I really like the OBX wire mesh.

Worked really well today until I bounced off of a Dodge Caravan today. I was just getting to shift when the bump occurred. Thank goodness the vel was really low and our bumpers matched. No damage at either end. We shook hands and parted ways.

But damn I like that weighted knob!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone. I guess I know what I have to do. FEEL THEM UP!!! lol. Um, I mean feel how they fit in my hand. Um, I mean...........ah forget it.

Also, thanks for the head's up on "burning" myself on the round aluminum ones. hehehe.

I just have to go see, and save up some money. Cool.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.