Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know what would go into changing the shift knob on a automatic tc ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
The OBX knobs from Scion are interchangeable with the auto. For that matter, any manual shift knob should work just fine. The knob just unscrews. The reason they were able to do this (and yes, it was by design to sell more accessories) is because of the gate shift on the auto. It does not need a release mechanism to release the shifter. The gate shift prevents you from accidentally shifting into reverse. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
speaking of shift knobs, this is the one that I ordered a few days ago, and should be arriving today. I sold the other momo shift knob (Combat Evo silver), and bought this one:



Whaddaya think, guys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,586 Posts
Looks great to me...I'm still planning to buy the classic leather one from McGeorge's when I can justify the cost...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
thanks, wolo. Marty, I personally can't justify the cost..it just looks nice, that's why I bought it. I was set on getting a momo knob, but got one that I didn't really like b/c of the shape, so I sold that one on ebay, and bought this one for a little bit less. I think it was about $77 or so, with shipping included. I think it's a stupid purchase, I'd much rather save up for the strut/sway bars or some other useful stuff, like plane tickets to India, but I acted on an impulse.....for the second time. Oh well, no regrets, it's gonna look awesome with the interior. I'll post some pics once I get it (hopefully today) and install it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Sep 17 2004, 09:35 AM
speaking of shift knobs, this is the one that I ordered a few days ago, and should be arriving today. I sold the other momo shift knob (Combat Evo silver), and bought this one:



Whaddaya think, guys?
Good choice... that will match the interior nicely!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
792 Posts
Originally posted by Alpman@Jul 13 2004, 10:33 PM
The OBX knobs from Scion are interchangeable with the auto. For that matter, any manual shift knob should work just fine. The knob just unscrews. The reason they were able to do this (and yes, it was by design to sell more accessories) is because of the gate shift on the auto. It does not need a release mechanism to release the shifter. The gate shift prevents you from accidentally shifting into reverse. Hope this helps.
ahh... so it will work for auto's. thanks for the update.


Nathan
ycart1201
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Any pics of your knob yet, whosthatrussian?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Hehe...good one J&J.


BTW, I didn't mean to be pushy about asking for the pic...I've just been wanting to change the shift knob and I like the silver look to match the center console, but I don't want an all silver knob that will burn every layer of skin from my poor hands on hot summer days.

The one you picked out seems to be a great compromise. Black leather on the top/sides where I'll be grabbing andsilver for accents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,507 Posts
I think most aftermarket knobs are going to sit too high. I tried one on and didn't like it at all... the stock one seems to be shorter and threaded a lot deeper, so it screws down lower. That and most aftermarket ones require an allen wrench to tighten the three screws like the one in my Celica, and I could never get it tight enough, so it comes loose & moves around a lot... looks like Momos are the same...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Sep 30 2004, 08:37 AM
I don't want an all silver knob that will burn every layer of skin from my poor hands on hot summer days.
sometimes you need to make a sacrafice for looks.



Skin on your hands .... overrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Originally posted by Eric@Sep 30 2004, 01:03 PM
I think most aftermarket knobs are going to sit too high. I tried one on and didn't like it at all... the stock one seems to be shorter and threaded a lot deeper, so it screws down lower. That and most aftermarket ones require an allen wrench to tighten the three screws like the one in my Celica, and I could never get it tight enough, so it comes loose & moves around a lot... looks like Momos are the same...
Sorry guys, the pics that I took a little while ago came out like doody, so I didn't post them and haven't gotten around to taking new ones.

Eric, you're totally right, the momo knob does sit much higher than the stock knob, b/c it's not as deeply threaded, and it's simply not as deep. The allen wrench came with my shifter, and since I've installed it, (almost 2 weeks now), it hasn't moved a bit. Very nice and tight, and it does match the interior very well, you'll see the pics soon. I got used to the fact that it sits a bit higher, and it feels nice and heavy.

Loopy, I love the design of my knob, b/c last week we had a few days, and I had my roof screens open, so i figured I'd have a MOMO branding on my palm, but it wasn't really hot at all. I mean, it was warm, especially the top metallic circle, but it was fine, didn't burn myself or anything. So I wouldn't worry about that.

I'll post the pics either tonight, or tomorrow.

BTW, J&J - whosthatrussian wheresthatshiftknob - you got a laugh outta me on that one. :c)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top