Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the obx silver shift knob (not the mesh one) and it was put on by the dealer. for those of you that don't know this, i hate the dealer that i bought the car from so going back to them is not an option. the thing is the knob moves around. they put it on loosely when i first got the car and it was able to spin around a bit. i turned it around and around until it was tighter and i thought that had fixed it, but it didn't. it still moves from time to time. it's tight but when i go to shift and maneuver through the gears (i have auto), it will move. whether or not i was supposed to i don't know but i didn't get the tools that came with the knob. i have no idea how to tighten it. is this the case for everyone where the knob will move? how can i tighten the knob? can i do it without the original tools that come with it?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I have the same knob for the 5-speed. If I remember correctly, it was just a matter of turning the whole knob by hand to tighten it. The only other tools it came with was an allen wrench for the OBX disc on the top.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks wolo.
i twisted and twisted and it is stuck on pretty hard now. i was just afraid to twist it so much without knowing if that was the right thing to do because i didn't want to break it or something. it's just hard to get the "obx" centered nicely. i think it also made the whole shifter smaller by a bit because the knob went down the pole, or it's just an illusion from all the twisting.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I gave up trying to keep the OBX centered. That seems to spin a bit with vibration and I just don't care anymore. Myhands usually covering it anyways.

·
Registered
936 Posts
on most shifteres (at the base of the shifter) there is an allen set-screw. If you tighten down the shifter , then tighten this screw you should have no problems! - t

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Oct 4 2004, 06:47 PM
on most shifteres (at the base of the shifter) there is an allen set-screw. If you tighten down the shifter , then tighten this screw you should have no problems! - t
Hate to say it, but not on these.

A hint: try using teflon tape like on pipes. It should make it snugger. As always, if it starts getting to tight before it goes on all the way, don't force. Take it back off and figure out something else.

Cheers!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, there isn't any screw at the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
tighten the screws on the inside.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
tighten the screws on the bottom of the duck.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
tighten the screws on the..........WTF!

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Just look around.... any screws you see on any & everything.... tighten them.... it works!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Screw the tight ones?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just twisted the whole knob around and around until it finally got tight and won't move, just like wolo said. no screws needed to be tightened.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts