Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys.... so im getting this new car, and it dawns on me that people are going to want to steal it.... since i dont yet have my car, i was wondering about an alarm system... i've done a search, and from what i can understand, aftermarket security systems will be compatitable with the keyless entry....

i've been told that the scion security system isn't worth the money... and while i can install a stero, i dont trust myself with an alarm, so i plan on letting the bestbuy guy install the thing... if my memory serves me correctly the brand they use at bestbuy is called blackwidow....

so i guess what im asking is should i get an aftermarket alarm, or the scion security? if you recommend an aftermarket alarm what do you suggest? from what i've read, the Hornet system sound pretty good. i know nothign about alarms... i dont even know what the valet button does... so any information you could give me would be appreciated

·
Registered
402 Posts
There are many discussions about this. For aftermarket info Click here. Or for info about the Scion Security click here.
Personally, I have the Scion Security and I've got no complaints thus far.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Me too. I will never have a mystery problem because somebody hacked my OEM harness either. All covered by warranty.

If you are really worried about theft (it is HIGHLY improbable), make sure your insurance knows about your mods and they are covered. If the car is basically stock, it's not going to be a high profile target of opportunity. There are LOTS of other cars that are MUCH easier to steal.

Besides, what did YOU do the last time you heard a car alarm going off in a parking lot? I rest my case...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
How is it worth the money? How many times have you heard a car alarm going off and ignored it? I can get the same deterrent effect from an LED that does nothing but flash. You get that with the car anyway.

The cost of any reputable alarm system with install is about what I pay for my 6 month insurance premium. Some of them are really ridiculously expensive.

If any Japanese car should be alarmed, my Supra should. In 12 years of owning a Supra, it has NEVER been stolen, damaged, or even attempted to be stolen. I live in an urban area, I don't live in the sticks, and I have left my Supra parked on the street many times in many different neighborhoods. One time the car in front of mine got the window broken out and the stereo stolen right in front of my apartment. They didn't touch my car.

I do risk security assessment as part of my living, and I just don't see how it is worth it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Alarms serve two purposes: deterrence and peace of mind. If it doesn't make you feel better to have an alarm, then don't get one. Realistically speaking, the primary purpose an alarm serves is not to prevent someone from stealing the car, but from breaking into it. My '89 Corolla was broken into, and they did a ridiculous amount of damage to it, as well as stealing a bunch of stuff out of the trunk. Both my cars have had alarms since then.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It is highly unlikely that someone will actually steal the car, the key transponder will keep 99% of thieves from taking it. You're more likely to see vandalism or theft of items stored in the car.

So, that brings us to the question of whether or not an alarm is worth installing. The alarm by itself is worthless. It just makes a bunch of noise and flashes lights. If you are close enough to hear the alarm, you might be able to reduce your liability, but chances are that the biggest money damage has already been done. We can safely assume the car isn't going to be stolen, so we're worried about vandalism and property theft.

A vandal can throw a $3 hammer thrown through your window and will set the alarm off, but it's going to cost a lot more than $3 to fix. Alarm won't do much good there.

If you're trying to protect your 1.21 Jiggo-watt stereo system with 43" speakers, an alarm might make a thief move a little faster and keep them from spending lots of time in your car, thus protecting the items that are harder to take. Heavy speaker boxes, hiding amps and other electronics, Bolting stuff to the car using odd fasteners (torx bits come to mind) will make it more difficult to take stuff.

Yet, it is easy to keep both of these things from happening. Don't give someone a reason to give your car a second look. Lots of noise, manufacturer stickers, blinky lights, etc. will only call attention to your car. Putting valueables on your front seat is a bad idea too. I carry a dark blanket to cover stuff when I can't hide it in the back.

In most cases, the more layers of security you have the better, but ideally you just don't want to give people a reason to investigate your car.

So, why did I buy an alarm for my car? Because I like the idea of remote start and I got a good deal on it as part of an alarm. I've got a 2-way remote so even if I dont hear the actual alarm horn, I'll know when neighbor kids are throwing their ball against my car. There's nothing worse than having a 'mystery dent' show up and not knowing where it happened.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by krzy@Mar 21 2005, 09:27 PM
So, why did I buy an alarm for my car? Because I like the idea of remote start and I got a good deal on it as part of an alarm. I've got a 2-way remote so even if I dont hear the actual alarm horn, I'll know when neighbor kids are throwing their ball against my car. There's nothing worse than having a 'mystery dent' show up and not knowing where it happened.
This is the first interesting reason I have seen for getting an aftermarket alarm. Otherwise, I just don't see the value in hacking up a perfectly good wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Very good discussion. Excellent.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I went with an aftermarket alarm because the dealer installed alarm is not nearly as capable and I got my alarm for the same price, and with a liftetime warranty on the install.

I am not as worried about the car being stolen, more worried about a breakin instead. Since I park my car close to my apartment, I can usually hear it going off, even with the windows closed. Most of the time if someone is trying to break a window and the alarm goes off, they probably won't stick around. In my case they will have about 20 seconds to get out of there before I give them a beatdown!

The TC does come with an ignition interrupter that should make the car harder to steal.

So me personally, I recommend an aftermarket alarm as long as you have an good installer that will back up their work. Mine also will do any adjustments for free as well. The keyless entry still works, but I don't use it since the alarm will lock/arm and unlock/disarm with one button. I went with a Clifford alarm from DEI.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If your going to get a security system here is what I reccomend (this is off previous expierence from my younger days)

Get a viper they are reliable, good computers, and they work well with scion
Get the Viper with the pager everybody else will ignore your car except you as soon as that pager goes off trust me you'll start running to the car. Now if you want remote start which comes with the viper alarm you'll more than likely have to by a moduel to bypass the keys computer.

If you remeber right our car keys have computer chips that match up with the engines computers. Making hotwiring the cars harder (not impossiable just harder) If somebody wants what is in your car bad enough they will get it.

Here are ways we used to "test" a cars security.

Take a couple car batteries and tap it to the frame of the car. If the electrical system is fried then the car alarm can't go off. Rims are EASY to steal even with alarms. Put center blocks under the car, slash the tires, the car lowers itself onto the blocks take one of those portable impact wrenches and you have new rims minus the rubber. Wheel locks are easy to break off too. If you do get an alarm make sure the valet switch is hidden way up inside the dash. The harder it is to get to the better.

Just keep your personal stuff hidden for the most part and you'll be fine. Sometimes nothing will help. I had a friend who busted out a guys windows just to get some cigs. Being a smart ass he left the guy.25 cents and a thank you note.

Please no giivng me grief about how I know this stuff. I used to be younger and really stupid back in those days. I do regret about 65% of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.