Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I've also used 1500 grit wet or dry paper and wet sanded to remove surface irregularities followed by Meguiar's No. 7 swirl remover. The one bad thing is the area you sanded will look much better than the rest of the car when you are done. Wet sanding is usually done to remove orange peel (the tiny bumps in the paint surface).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 28 2004, 06:37 PM
I've also used 1500 grit wet or dry paper and wet sanded to remove surface irregularities followed by Meguiar's No. 7 swirl remover. The one bad thing is the area you sanded will look much better than the rest of the car when you are done. Wet sanding is usually done to remove orange peel (the tiny bumps in the paint surface).
I haven't heard of Meguiar's #7 swirl remover. Did you mean #9? I personally don't like #9 as it contains fillers which just hides scratches. I also prefer using a fine cut compound over sandpaper for minor scratches.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Tchi@Dec 28 2004, 08:46 PM
I haven't heard of Meguiar's #7 swirl remover. Did you mean #9? I personally don't like #9 as it contains fillers which just hides scratches. I also prefer using a fine cut compound over sandpaper for minor scratches.
I've had this bottle for more than 10 years. It's probably not made anymore, but it doesn't have fillers, it's just a superfine compound for hand use.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by JZA70@Dec 29 2004, 02:58 PM
well i tried out the meguiars scratch x and it worked just a little bit. the scratches are still noticable up close, so i guess i will have to get touch up paint and polish it up?

more suggestions appreciated
Well you didn't answer my post about using an orbital buffer
but if the scratches are not down to metal or primer, here is what I would do:

1. Use either Meguiar's DACP or 3M PI III RC with a polishing pad and an orbital buffer. I guess you could try polishing by hand but it will take a lot of time and hard work.

2. After removing the scratches I would use a machine or hand glaze to buff the paint to a high luster.

3. Top off with your usual protectant (Zaino, Klasse, etc.) and/or wax.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry tchi; ive never used an orbital before but i know what you're talking about

the scratches are faint, but they are whitish in color. when you rub your hand over them it feels smooth. i've tried claybarring it and it didn't help much. the scratch x stuff helped a little more, but the scratches are still there. i tried waxing it for some stupid reason (lol) and that didn't work either.

is it possible that a thin layer of wax is preventing the scratch x from working? maybe i should use some wax/grease remover?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by JZA70@Dec 30 2004, 08:06 AM
sorry tchi; ive never used an orbital before but i know what you're talking about

the scratches are faint, but they are whitish in color. when you rub your hand over them it feels smooth. i've tried claybarring it and it didn't help much. the scratch x stuff helped a little more, but the scratches are still there. i tried waxing it for some stupid reason (lol) and that didn't work either.

is it possible that a thin layer of wax is preventing the scratch x from working? maybe i should use some wax/grease remover?
Claying a car is good for removing embedded particles in the paint but doesn't do much for scratches. Both the claybar and ScratchX will remove the wax you put on easily so no worries about it forming a barrier. Oh and it's not stupid to wax after claying or using a polish as it gives your paint some protection.

Sounds to me like ScratchX is not aggressive enough to remove the scratches that you have. You can try a slightly more abrasive compound but please stay away from the 'cheapie' stuff as they tend to be gritty and will remove your clearcoat and leave light scratches. The other thing is the amount of effort required to remove the scratch by hand. While it's not too bad (because it feels smooth) it may be too deep to remove by hand polishing. An orbital buffer is a great investment as we all get scratches from time to time and will most likely take care of the scratches you have pretty easily.

Just an opinion from a detailing nut

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by JZA70@Dec 30 2004, 04:38 PM
then its settled! ill look into some orbitals. any recommendations on how to go about finding a good one?
One of the more popular brands is Porter Cable. I believe they have two models(7424 & 7336) that are the same machine but w/ different attachments. I bought mine online but I remember hearing that Lowe's has it for about $100. It comes w/ a basic pad but you'll want to get a cutting and a polishing pad. Although you can use any good quality fine cut compound or polish, I'd recommend getting one that breaks down relatively quickly so it doesn't leave a haze.

I've never heard of anyone who got an orbital buffer and wasn't pleased w/ the results they achieved. Detail shops in my area want $200+ for a machine polish to remove swirl marks and micro-marring

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Two thumbs up for Porter Cable. Everyone I know who is into detailing uses them. I've even heard there are some big name companies who rebadge Porter Cable units and sell them at ridiculous prices ($200+) specifically for automotive use.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe that most kits come w/ a backing pad and a white buffing pad. I'd suggest getting a med. cutting pad and a polishing pad. As for polishes and compounds, I use Meg's DACP for light scratches/swirls and 3M PI III RC for deeper scratches.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.