Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm buffing out my zaino today and guess what i noticed? a nice fat scratch on my rear bumper!.. great!! i was so pissed. i guess someone backed up into me while getting out of their parking spot. PEOPLE SUCK... I mean really!! the lot is HUGE and you can't get out without hitting someone else?

IM SO PISSED!.. so here i am left with a nice fat scratch on my bumper. here's a pic of it.

so what i'd like to know is what are my options for making this go away... i doubt Z5 will work on this cause its a major scratch.. im guessing all i can do is get some kind of touchup paint? but are there touchup paints out there that match a nice silverstreak tC paint?

*shakes his head..*... i wish tC came with a force field then there could never be scratches...

other than that hideous blemish my car is lookin sexy.. but that thing really does make me mad!!!

suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Is it through the paint? From here, it just looks like some of the rubber or plastic from a dark-colored bumper (on the car that hit you) just rubbed off onto your bumper...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope.. that's thru the paint.. *sigh*

·
Registered
409 Posts
um if its through the paint i think there are some fixes floating around, and if worse comes to wrose it hink just go buy some touch up paint and apply it until it feels and sand it out to make it look smooth and connected, but read around first

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by Tchi@Nov 15 2004, 08:51 AM
Alpman did a good write up on how to fix rock chips in a previous post- http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...wtopic=812&st=0

My BSP came with a free bottle of touch-up paint so it should be available at the dealer.
If you havent wet sand before mogoo, I would try wet/sanding on an old panel of a car before trying this out on your car. I had to wet/sand my panel under the 3rd brake light last month because my pops put some scratches on it by accident. Just to get the initial shock out of your system, you are going to "sand down" the area but with water! Meaning get that baby wet, then sand it down. You will also add very fine scratches to the area you applied it to.----Okay, after all that is said, and IF your willing to do this, Make sure you try this on an old car before you do this on your car! Then buff out using the steps that alpine has disclosed. Product is also key here so purchase the product that alpine stated. Good stuff.

Materials I used---3M Imperial wet or dry 2000 grit. (These are Microfine sheets)
---Meguiars Sanding backing Pad E-7200

From there, wrap the sheet around the sanding back pad, wet the area with soapy water, and use light pressure to sand the painted area to smooth it down. Keep in mind when you do this, use even pressured strokes also . Buff it out with the steps alpine used. (remember to use a machine to do this, since your hands will not be able to buff out those fine scratches that you've created. Also, if your not comfortable with a rotary, I would look into a Porter Cable 7424.

x

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL DETAILER, NOR DO I CONSIDER MYSELF ONE. I AM A DETAILING HOBBYIST WHO IS ALWAYS TRYING TO PURSUE THE ULTIMATE SHINE. I IN NO WAY CAN OR WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE (MONETARILY OR OTHERWISE) FOR ANY DAMAGES YOU HAVE OR WILL POTENTIALLY CAUSE TO YOUR CAR BY TAKING THE ADVICE GIVEN BY ME IN THIS THREAD. IF YOU USE MY ADVICE YOU ARE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by xman+Nov 15 2004, 09:47 AM-->QUOTE (xman @ Nov 15 2004, 09:47 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Tchi
@Nov 15 2004, 08:51 AM
Alpman did a good write up on how to fix rock chips in a previous post- http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...wtopic=812&st=0

My BSP came with a free bottle of touch-up paint so it should be available at the dealer.
If you havent wet sand before mogoo, I would try wet/sanding on an old panel of a car before trying this out on your car. I had to wet/sand my panel under the 3rd brake light last month because my pops put some scratches on it by accident. Just to get the initial shock out of your system, you are going to "sand down" the area but with water! Meaning get that baby wet, then sand it down. You will also add very fine scratches to the area you applied it to.----Okay, after all that is said, and IF your willing to do this, Make sure you try this on an old car before you do this on your car! Then buff out using the steps that alpine has disclosed. Product is also key here so purchase the product that alpine stated. Good stuff.

Materials I used---3M Imperial wet or dry 2000 grit. (These are Microfine sheets)

From there, wrap the sheet around the sanding back pad, wet the area with soapy water, and use light pressure to sand the painted area to smooth it down. Keep in mind when you do this, use even pressured strokes also . Buff it out with the steps alpine used. (remember to use a machine to do this, since your hands will not be able to buff out those fine scratches that you've created. Also, if your not comfortable with a rotary, I would look into a Porter Cable 7424.

x

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL DETAILER, NOR DO I CONSIDER MYSELF ONE. I AM A DETAILING HOBBYIST WHO IS ALWAYS TRYING TO PURSUE THE ULTIMATE SHINE. I IN NO WAY CAN OR WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE (MONETARILY OR OTHERWISE) FOR ANY DAMAGES YOU HAVE OR WILL POTENTIALLY CAUSE TO YOUR CAR BY TAKING THE ADVICE GIVEN BY ME IN THIS THREAD. IF YOU USE MY ADVICE YOU ARE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! [/b]
Nice post xman

Just wanted to add that if you really want to get into it you could top it with clearcoat. I just find that the paint on edges tend to wear down faster when polishing (esp. w/ a rotary) so a layer of clearcoat may be a good idea.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by Tchi+Nov 15 2004, 11:28 AM-->QUOTE (Tchi @ Nov 15 2004, 11:28 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2004, 09:47 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Tchi
@Nov 15 2004, 08:51 AM

x

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL DETAILER, NOR DO I CONSIDER MYSELF ONE. I AM A DETAILING HOBBYIST WHO IS ALWAYS TRYING TO PURSUE THE ULTIMATE SHINE. I IN NO WAY CAN OR WILL BE HELD RESPONSIBLE (MONETARILY OR OTHERWISE) FOR ANY DAMAGES YOU HAVE OR WILL POTENTIALLY CAUSE TO YOUR CAR BY TAKING THE ADVICE GIVEN BY ME IN THIS THREAD. IF YOU USE MY ADVICE YOU ARE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Nice post xman

Just wanted to add that if you really want to get into it you could top it with clearcoat. I just find that the paint on edges tend to wear down faster when polishing (esp. w/ a rotary) so a layer of clearcoat may be a good idea.[/b]
Great idea on the clearcoat Tchi
I haven't thought of that. Will try next time I wet sand. Right on Tchi

X

·
Registered
7 Posts
i also have a couple of scratches on my car. i have a cat and i just realized that it's been sleeping on my new tc
it's been sleeping on my hood and i found a scratch on the driver side of the hood. can anyone give me advice on how to treat it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by tCexy@Nov 18 2004, 01:29 AM
i also have a couple of scratches on my car. i have a cat and i just realized that it's been sleeping on my new tc
it's been sleeping on my hood and i found a scratch on the driver side of the hood. can anyone give me advice on how to treat it?
Before anyone says.."hang the cat!" don't..I think he is more interested in fixing his car.....

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by Geneo@Nov 18 2004, 08:04 AM
Before anyone says.."hang the cat!" don't..I think he is more interested in fixing his car.....
Darn, Geneo...beat me to it...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by tCexy@Nov 18 2004, 01:29 AM
What kind of scratch are we referring too--
? How deep, how long, etc..etc.

A good point of referrence is that if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, then you got some work to do
. If you dont feel the scratch with your finger nail, then your in luck.

Give a little more input..and Im sure you are going to get 4-5 good responses.
Take a
, that would be helpful.

x

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool i'll give it a shot...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by moogoo@Nov 19 2004, 04:18 PM
cool i'll give it a shot...
May the force be with you moogoo. After this little episode with your car, your gonna feel more love to it

x

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha.. i dont think i could love my car any more than i do now!...

i jus wish i had the money to mod it..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what are kidneys going for these days? ... i can make do with one

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
25K for a kidney? damnnnnn... i could buy me another tC with every option from the dealer! haha..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts