Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Crazy..... curious to see what the stage 3 kit can do!

·
Registered
147 Posts
lets be honest stage 3 with no internal mods first the clutch isnt going to hold the power and then heat, compression is way to high gonna shoot a rod out the block and other bad crap would follow

·
Registered
272 Posts
thats awesome that its taking that boost and theyre already in the 12s.....12s is real fast for a street car

id like to see how long it can last on the stock internals as it is....i want to know not only it can take 14 psi but that it can take 14psi for _____miles

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Oh, sure, I want to run VP C-16 ($7-8 a gallon) in my street car. If you guys think they did this on pump gas, think again.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Feb 4 2005, 01:40 PM
Oh, sure, I want to run VP C-16 ($7-8 a gallon) in my street car. If you guys think they did this on pump gas, think again.
what octane is that?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
From VP Racing Fuels

C16
Used in turbocharged engines, blown engines and nitrous applications with CRs up to 17:1. Recommended by the top nitrous oxide companies. Spec Fuel for NHRA Comp Eliminator.

• Color: Blue
• Motor Octane: 117
• Specific gravity: .735 at 60° F

Notice they don't bother with the Research number, just the Motor number. Pump gas is R+M/2, the Motor number on 93 octane pump gas can easily be in the mid 80's.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by ZEROmotorsports@Feb 4 2005, 08:05 AM
thats awesome that its taking that boost and theyre already in the 12s.....12s is real fast for a street car

id like to see how long it can last on the stock internals as it is....i want to know not only it can take 14 psi but that it can take 14psi for _____miles
12's is not quick for a street car. Lots of street legal (not smog legal) Supras run 9's and 10's, and lots of domestics run as quick or quicker. 12's is quick for a Scion.

Street bikes ran 12's in 1979. They're running 9's now in full street and smog legal trim.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Feb 4 2005, 10:40 AM
I believe they state that they were using 93 octane gas.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I've seen lots of claims about fuel. I also know it isn't possible to run 12 psi at 8.5:1 on pump gas. I have considerable practical experience with this. At 9.5:1 and 12 psi boost you are going to have detonation problems with any pump fuel including 93 octane. Lots of Supras have issues even with 93 octane fuel at 14 psi. One guy in DC says the only thing that cures his pinging is 100 octane fuel with a completely stock car on higher than stock (0.62 kgf/cm^2) boost. I've also seen guys go to dyno days and say, "Sure, I bought my gas right from the pump." Yes, they bought it from a pump alright, but it said 100 octane right there on the pump too. I've seen the site, seen the claims, but I've never seen anyone do this on 93 octane out of a pump.

If they mean 93 Motor octane fuel, then I could believe it, but no way R+M/2 fuel at 93 octane even running pig rich.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I also know it isn't possible to run 12 psi at 8.5:1 on pump gas[/b]
i strongly disagree with u on this one, 12psi is more than possible on 8.5:1 with 93 octane, i personally have run 11psi with 9.2:1 compression with 93 octane with no pinging problems. a friend of mine has run18psi with 8.5:1 on 93 octane and yet another is running 23psi on 93 octane with a 8.5:1 CR. btw only the second one was built internals, and none of which had any higher fuel management then an afc

12's is not quick for a street car. Lots of street legal (not smog legal) Supras run 9's and 10's, and lots of domestics run as quick or quicker. 12's is quick for a Scion[/b]
there certainly are faster cars out there on the street and im sure there are lots of modded supras, ws6's and bikes that run faster than that. but with the exception of STREET RACING, which i dont condone, 12s is fast for driving around town, backroads, and the highway in any car, let alone a 4cyl FWD

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by ZEROmotorsports@Feb 5 2005, 08:36 AM
I also know it isn't possible to run 12 psi at 8.5:1 on pump gas
i strongly disagree with u on this one, 12psi is more than possible on 8.5:1 with 93 octane, i personally have run 11psi with 9.2:1 compression with 93 octane with no pinging problems. a friend of mine has run18psi with 8.5:1 on 93 octane and yet another is running 23psi on 93 octane with a 8.5:1 CR. btw only the second one was built internals, and none of which had any higher fuel management then an afc

12's is not quick for a street car. Lots of street legal (not smog legal) Supras run 9's and 10's, and lots of domestics run as quick or quicker. 12's is quick for a Scion[/b]
there certainly are faster cars out there on the street and im sure there are lots of modded supras, ws6's and bikes that run faster than that. but with the exception of STREET RACING, which i dont condone, 12s is fast for driving around town, backroads, and the highway in any car, let alone a 4cyl FWD [/b][/quote]
12 psi is not possible without timing retard. I didn't say it will blow up, I just know for a fact your thermal efficiency is gone to crap. I also know people who have run 16 - 18 psi of boost on 93 and even 91 octane. Their knock sensors detected severe knock and fully retarded the timing to save the engine. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's working right. When I lose nearly 20% efficiency running on 91 octane it doesn't mean the engine won't run with it, it just means the engine won't run well with it, and the efficiency sucks.

No pinging problems? How do you know? Because you can't hear it? That doesn't mean no problems, it just means no problems you are aware of.

Sorry, I don't buy their claims. I have plenty of broken, twisted, and bent pieces to support my claim.

If you want to run 12s with a four cylinder, buy a Lotus Esprit turbo. Quick, fast, light, straight out of the crate, and designed to do it. The tC isn't designed to be a quick, fast, or light car. BTW, 12s only feels fast if you've never done 11s, 10s, or 9s.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55@Feb 5 2005, 11:15 AM
12's is crazy quick....

Are you saying the new 400hp corvette that'll do a 12.7sec 1/4mi isn't quick? That's crazy....
Only if you've never gone quicker. The thing that's impressive about the new 'Vette (and a whole lot of other 2007 models) is they can do this and meet all emissions requirements. That's truly amazing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Feb 5 2005, 02:26 PM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Feb 5 2005, 02:26 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Zygote55
@Feb 5 2005, 11:15 AM
12's is crazy quick....

Are you saying the new 400hp corvette that'll do a 12.7sec 1/4mi isn't quick?  That's crazy....
Only if you've never gone quicker. The thing that's impressive about the new 'Vette (and a whole lot of other 2007 models) is they can do this and meet all emissions requirements. That's truly amazing. [/b]
I gotta agree that 12 sec is definitely a quick car, more so because it is a 12 sec. tC. I had a '70 W-30 that ran a best time of 10.51 so yes I have gone faster.

Oh btw, Scionspeed was running on 93 octane pump gas w/ no problems so I guess it is possible.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hey, lo bux racer, you think that 12psi isn't possible on 8.5:1 compression pistons? You're retarded. sorry to put it bluntly, but you gotta get your facts straight. You want to talk about 12 second 4 bangers? I owned one and sold it to get my tC. 1995 Talon Turbo AWD. I was running 17psi on a big t28. Incase you didn't know, a t28 is a TURBO... My pistons from the factory were 8.5:1. As long as you have the fuel to back up the air, there is no need for the car to retard timing. Making a car fast is all about tuning... testing... not just bolting parts up. If you are trying to say you can't tune a tC with stock internals to run 12 second 1/4 mile on pump gas then you're really mislead buddy.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.