Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TRD Cold Air Intake $440*

Improve your flow with TRD's Cold Air Intake for the tC. Featuring 53.5 mm diameter (2.5 inch) mandrel bent aluminum tubing with a unique polished black chrome look finish. The TRD Cold Air Intake is tuned to increase horsepower and torque. It comes with a reusable high-flow, low restriction air filter and a by-pass valve prevents water induction.

side note: your thoughts on it? is it worth it? anyone have it installed yet?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If somebody wants to send me one, I'll test it side by side compared to stock at Sac Raceway. Same day, same car. We'll see if it makes more power. I have my doubts.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
as stated previously, i just dont believe the hype. Lo Bux and i may as well just copy and paste our opinions of intakes on the tC.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by WAHCHING@Jan 11 2006, 03:41 PM
haha so i might as well spend the $600 on something else, thanks for your fast replies. =D
$600?????????

yes, you should certainly spend your money elsewhere. 440 + install for an unproven intake is ridiculous.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
at which point it would be generously donated to the D Needs to Buy Diapers Fund, no doubt.

greedy wolo.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
aw, come on. its for science. everyone likes to donate money to science.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
224 cents! What the heck man. You cuold buy a couple packs of gum. Gum comes in handy sometimes. Cmon MAn THINK!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Jan 11 2006, 06:00 PM
Whatever. I wish someone would throw up a dyno with a stock air box, and then one with an Injen, or TRD. That'd make me happy
Those tests exist. Unfortunately, I don't believe much from an inertial dyno. I trust mph at the end of a 1/4 mile a lot. Oddly enough, you don't see big differences between runs (if the driver is even half-way consistent) in the mph. ET might be very different, but mph never lies about hp. Either you have it, or you don't.

Dynos are nice if you want to impress your friends with numbers. I'd rather just beat them to the finish line. No dyno test guarantees that, they only imply that if your number is bigger the car is faster. It's not always true, ask anyone foolish enough to tune fuel or ignition on a Dynojet. The numbers look good until you get it on the street (or worse track) and you find out it's running far too lean with way too much advance. If you're lucky, you get back to the shop to retune. If not, you're buying a new set of pistons.

So, the real test, all the intakes on one day at one track on one car. That's about as fair as it can get. Each intake gets three runs, ECM gets reset after each install, and ECM gets reset before the run with the stock pieces. Make it as fair as possible. Trap speed of the best setup rules. Nothing could be more fair and real world.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
you have spoken about this day...for days. Do it !!!! get your buddies intake and lets get rollin.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
like i said, i think lance and i can pretty much cut and paste our feelings on intakes.

i'll work in the pits swapping intakes while you guys run them down the track. lets get to it. get us some intakes.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Do i like my K&N intake YES would i spend 400+ on it HELL NO. I spent 180 on my CAI and thats as far as i will go till forced induction. I also dont understand why you hate trying to make your car breather better either. I also dont like seeing repeat threads so i dont read um much. Dont jump on my back about it but i dont know what you oppinions are but dont worry working on a search right now to see why.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lance, how do you feel about the eddycurrent dyno as compared to the inertial wheel?

I remember, for one of my jobs they tested me on a constant pace, or eddy current machine. IT SUCKED, the harder you try, the harder it gets.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.