Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am looking to buy a new Scion Tc and wanted to get some info on how it drives in the rain and snow.... I live in Chicago and we have a ton of fun with our weather

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Get good tires and you'll handle just fine in rain/snow. If you get the stock Potenzas, be way careful. They suck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just got back from upstate NY. We had some snow here in NY over the weekend.

One word about stock tires: SUCK. They SUCK like blood sucking leeches sucking blood. They have as much traction on snow as a roller blade on marble.

It's all in the tires. I will replace them as soon as 06's fall is over for some good o'Yokohama (no money for Michelin).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes the stock tires do suck. Last week here in upstate NY we had some rain at night and it was about 5° out. It iced up real fast on side roads and exits. The highways were alright but everyone was still taking caustion. I hooked onto an exit and like a dumbass stayed in the outer lane where it ices up all the time. I should of taken the inner lane that was not icy. By the time i went into the turn i realized it was all black ice and the scion just drifted completely around that turn at 45mph
. It stayed right in the lane but boy, i had no traction
. The car just drifted around that turn perfectly. I was cool but i dont ever wanna do that again. Black ice sucks. I had no time to react. By the time i saw the black ice at night i was already on it and into the turn. Thankfully my car didnt go off the road. It stayed right in the outter lane the entire turn (which was pretty long). Man was that scary yet cool. Well thankfully the TC's weight and good body roll saved the car. There's no stopping black ice no matter what car u drive. Be safe peeps. Pz

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by UpInSmoke23@Dec 7 2005, 09:27 AM
weight and good body roll saved the car.
Can you explain to me how "good" body roll saved the car? The weight adds more momentum for it to go straight off the road if it does anything.

Glad you are ok man! I was in upstate too when it snowed. I was in the mountain pass so you can imagine.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Toss in the front strut tie bar, and you have a whole new car in terms of handling. I'd say it's twice as good.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
My tC is so HOT it melts all the snow before I have to drive over it. Either that or we just never see snow here in the Durty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
*coughs* SNOW TIRES, seriously if you dont know enough to get your self some damn snow tires and poss a set of steel wheels for the winter time, just leave your car parked. save yourself some trouble and get snow tires.....the Tc has in no way tires ment for the snow... they are just 2 season tires.... summer and summer.......well best of luck with your hunt on information.....

·
Registered
191 Posts
upinsmoke, which stock tires are you talking about? because i've heard of some people still getting the potenza's and others getting the yoko's just curious as to which tires all these bad experiences are coming from, the stock potenza's or the stock yoko's.

as for me, i got the yoko's on mine, and because of the need of an alarm my winter tire plan kinda got pushed back. blumustangdude, the tires have been doin okay for me.. but then again i've also been taking it slow because i'm still getting used to how a fwd reacts and how to adjust to it. today i've gone through a few unshoveled chicago alleys and sidestreets, and other than shoveling the middle section of the road with the front bumper, it's been okay.

·
Registered
895 Posts
We just got 6inchs of snow in Indiana. Stock tires worked great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.