Scion tC Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone gotten a hard copy of the service manual yet? I went to the dealership in town, and the seemingly inept parts guy informed me that it wasn't coming out as a book but as a DVD and would cost $130. He said it's not out yet.

Salespeople: "Can I help you find someone?"

"Well, no, not really. I'm just here to see if you have the service manuals for my car."

".... It should have come with your car."

"... What? No, I don't think so."

"What's the salesperson's name that sold it to you?"

"I didn't buy it here. I bought it in Panama City [2 hours away]."

"See? That's what you get for buying it out of town!"

"*twitch* ... *annoyance*"

"Do you have the stuff that came with the car?"

*takes clueless man to my car. Gives him packet."

"See? Here it is. *Shows me recommended maintanence list*"

"*sigh* No, no that's not what I'm looking for. It's like a repair manual. The techs use it."

"*puzzled look* Well, I guess you can check in the parts department to see if they know what you're talking about."

"[seeing as how that's where I was headed....] Alright. Cya."

*Goes to parts department. Waits while some slow parts dep guy tells a salesperson he can't find the price for a Toyota coffee mug and she can just buy it herself and give it to the customer. Parts guy says he'll call her when he gets the price.* *Wonders how that solves anything.*

To parts guy: "I'm looking for the service manuals for a Scion tC."

"The what?"

"The service manuals... you know, repair manuals...."

"Oh... well, I don't know if those are even out yet. Hold on. *Messes with computer* What year?"

"*closes eyes* '05."

"Yah, I can't find it. From what I've heard it's going to come on a DVD and cost $130."

".... What? No book? .... Ok, do you happen to have any azure pearl touchup paint in stock?"

"For the tC? Do you have a color number for that?"

"No, sorry."

"*Plays with computer* Well, I don't see it. If you have the VIN number that'd help."

"No, that's ok. Thanks for helping though
*Dear god...*"

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
A service manual on DVD... Unless they have 20 hours of instructional videos on it why would anyone waste a DVD for 50 megs of info?

When it comes out it would be on eBay for $20. I bought my service manuals for the Matrix there. When it's out we can all pitch in and have a downloadable copy

Reactions: Mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Oct 18 2004, 10:42 AM
A service manual on DVD... Unless they have 20 hours of instructional videos on it why would anyone waste a DVD for 50 megs of info?

When it comes out it would be on eBay for $20. I bought my service manuals for the Matrix there. When it's out we can all pitch in and have a downloadable copy
Well, it seemed to me the guy just had no clue about anything. I can't imagine getting it on DVD. I told him I already had part of the manual on my computer.

"How much did that cost?"

"Uh... real cheap... Anyways, I just wanted it in book form, because it strains my eyes less and I can take it to dinner with me etc [where I do most of my reading]"

So, that's an acknowledgement? It's not out yet? I assumed he was full of crap about that too lol.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I asked Paul from mcgeorgeparts.com about the manual (though I was looking for a CD version), and he said he even does not have that - he looks up everything on their tech website (which might be just an intranet location where they have a copy of the CD). The links in the PDF files suggest exact same manual structure as all other Toyota service manuals (absolutely cryptic folder names, etc.).

As of now I was able to find everything I need in the accessory install manuals and whatever I asked Paul to send me. But having a book or a CD is always good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm working on d/ling the repair manual from toyota's tech site. When I'm done someone has offered to group the pdf's into larger files by chapter (there's ALOT of files...) I'll let everyone know when we're finished.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Be careful when grouping - PDFs have internal links that will get broken if you don't preserve the file structure. I would imagine the best way would be to have index/contents files with links to the PDFs

I know how the folder structure looks like on this sort of manuals - maybe I can somehow help?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Oct 19 2004, 10:35 AM
Be careful when grouping - PDFs have internal links that will get broken if you don't preserve the file structure. I would imagine the best way would be to have index/contents files with links to the PDFs

I know how the folder structure looks like on this sort of manuals - maybe I can somehow help?
Well, I'm doing this in a retarded way. I'm getting the manual file by file (which is taking forever) and putting them in my own directory structure.

xxChapterName
--xxFilename
--xxFilename
xxChapterName

etc. Where xx is the chapter number or the order in which I've downloaded the files.

So... if you'd like to help, that's great. I don't know if the other guy is aware about the internal links thing.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Did you see any global index PDFs on the site? Kinda like Grande Table of Contents? I can probably restore the whole structure based on something like that.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by phungy@Oct 19 2004, 04:39 PM
so no one has the service manual? are you sure? i think i got one...
Are you sure you got the complete manual? Not the 17M zip that's been floating around with close to 5% of the manual?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I have the manual in hand. RM1104U1 list $120.00, RM1104U2 list $110.00, and the New Car Features book, NCF264U list $73.73 (sorry c1ph3r, the NCF is worth more than the other manuals by a LONG shot). They are $303.73 all together, and I got them from the parts department at Maita Toyota in Sacramento. They took a couple of days to show up.

You just can't beat Toyco Factory Service Manuals.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi there. the link for the service manual seems to be no good again.
Anyone have it or be willing to email it to me?
Thanks,
-Ray

·
Registered
427 Posts
PM Me for a working link to the manual. It's a 15 meg file.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The link has gone bad
......plz someone, help me out

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can always call your dealer and get the toyota sales # and order the manual directly. Thats what I did but it will cost ya

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Maybe you missed this post: RM1104U1 list $120.00, RM1104U2 list $110.00, and the New Car Features book, NCF264U list $73.73. They're far from inexpensive like it used to be in the old days.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts